The Man Part 2 | Teen Ink

The Man Part 2

Castiels.Freaking.Trenchcoat SILVER, Columbiana, Ohio

"Family don't end with blood, boy." ~Bobby (Supernatural)

Ashton studies me for a second before taking my hand and pulling me into the living room. The furniture in here is sparse with a simple couch, chair, and table. He pulls me down on the couch and turns to face me, not letting go on my hand. I’m grateful.

“You may have some time right now, Faith,” Ashton says, his voice deeper than usual. But then again, I think, what is usual? “But soon enough, you won’t have any time at all.”

“What?” The word bursts out of my throat. I eye him, expecting him to burst out laughing and say this is just some kind of joke, but he doesn’t seem to be the kind of guy who jokes about this kind of stuff. His face is grim and I narrow my eyes. “What in the world are you talking about?”

“You honestly don’t know?” I roll my eyes and shake my head. “Faith… I don’t know how to say this but…” He closes his eyes for a second before staring into mine intently. “Faith, you have powers.”

I stare at him for a second and then…

I burst out laughing.

Ashton doesn’t look amused at all. “Snap out of it, Faith,” he growls at me. “You really think I would have saved you if you didn’t?” I stare at him as the smile disappears from my face. No, I didn’t. He doesn’t seem like the type of guy who would save someone just to save them. “I know you don’t know this, Faith, but that guy? He doesn’t know you or your family. He knows of you.”

“How come you know this stuff, but I don’t?” Ashton sighs.

“Because I’ve heard of you my whole life.” His gaze never wavers from my face. “There’s a group of us. About a hundred or so… But there’s only four of us that are stronger than the others. Me and you… We’re the second pair.”

“The second pair?” Ashton nods.

“Yeah. You see, paired together our powers are stronger than most but… That man… Even though you didn’t know you had powers at that time, but he did. United, the band of us could completely ruin him, but separately?” He shakes his head sadly. “We’re useless.”

“Wait,” I say, holding up my hand. “If you knew this, how come you acted like you knew nothing?” He sighs and sits back.

“Because I needed to know what you knew.” I roll my eyes.

“Which is obviously nothing.” I realize my hand is still in the air and I go to drop it but he lifts his hand and places it so that our hands are palm-to-palm. I start to pull my hand away but he intertwines our fingers together. He stares into my eyes and his hand starts to turn red. I can feel the heat of his hand as mine starts to turn a bluish-white. He starts to pull his hand away and for some reason, I start to do the same thing.

In between our palms is a ball that looks like it made of fire and lightning.

“What is that?” I ask, dropping my hand.

“That is a ball of fire and lightning that is so powerful it could take out a three story house.” He lightly touches it and it disappears. I stare at him wide-eyed and he winks at me, smiling. “I told you we we’re powerful together.” My cheeks turn red as I look away.

Ashton’s head jerks up and he stares over at the kitchen. A second later I hear a dull thud and I follow his eyes.

“What was that?” I ask in a whisper, louder than I meant to. Ashton shakes his head and places a finger on my lips. I stare at him as he shakes his head and takes his finger away. He stands slowly and I follow him as he slides his hand along the waistband of his jeans and pulls out something black.

A gun.

He clicks he safety off, wraps his hand around the handle, his finger hovering over the trigger, and leans toward me.

“Stay behind me,” he whispers, his lips lightly brushing my ear and his warm breath tickling my cheek. I nod, hating the heat that rises in my cheeks.

He quietly walks to the kitchen. I slide in behind him and wish that I had a weapon. I frown and look at my hand. I do.

Myself.

We slither into the kitchen and Ashton looks around, taking into the freshly picked back door to the open drawers. He frowns and lowers his gun.

“Nothing,” he says. Just as the words leave his lips I hear a click in my ear and I freeze as Ashton turns, raising his gun.

“Excuse me,” the man from the alley says, holding the gun against my temple, “but unless you want me to shoot your girlfriend, you’ll drop the gun.” Ashton hesitates and the man taps the gun against my forehead. “And neither of you two try anything or believe me, you’ll wish you hadn’t.” I glace at Ashton. His face is ashen and his eyes shift to mine then to the man. A plan form in the back of my mind and I nod once, slightly. “Anytime now, Ashton,” the man says, sounding bored. Ashton sighs almost sadly, and bends over, setting the gun down before rising and lifting his hands.

I feel a small push and I stumble toward Ashton. Ashton lowers his hands and grabs my hand.

Good.

Just what I need.

“Now,” the man says, pulling a chair away from the table and sitting down. “All I need to do is talk to you two, then you’re free to go.”

Yeah, right, I think. That’ll never happen.

Ever.

The man smirks as his eyes skim over me and then Ashton. “Kick that gun over here,” the man says. Neither of us move. “Now!” Ashton releases my hand and kicks the gun with the toes of his sneakers. It skids over to the man and Ashton winces as it hits the legs of the chair.

“You’re lucky it didn’t go off,” Ashton says bitterly. “Seeing how the safety was off.” The man smiles at us as he bends over and picks up the gun, never taking his eyes off us.

“Why?” the man asks, sitting back up. “It most likely would have hit one of you two and we both know that you, Ashton, could have healed either of you two. Easily.” I turn my head toward Ashton, a confused look on my face, but he just stares at the man and raises an eyebrow.

“Then why point that gun at us?” The man shrugs.

“I guess it has something to do with her,” he says, pointing the gun at me. “I’m guessing she just learned what a powerful person she really is or she would have fought back when I stacked her the other day.” I clench my hands into fists and glare at the man.

“Believe me,” I say hotly. “Your stupid gun doesn’t scare me. You and I both know that I can disintegrate a bullet before it could hit either of us.” I frown slightly. Yeah, I know that. But how do I know that? The man looks startled and eyes me before turning toward Ashton.

“Oh, I know that,” the man says, lowering his gun. “I take it you bonded with her before I could find her again?” Ashton smirks and nods.

“It wasn't hard.” Ashton is acting all wrong around his-our- enemy. I glance at him and his facial expression is blank but there is a small gleam in his eyes. I can’t place it.

“Well,” the man says, smiling bitterly and raising his gun. My hand automatically goes up, my palm facing him. I have no clue what I’m doing, but for some reason, it feels right.

“Don’t even think about it,” I hiss between my clenched teeth. The man laughs and Ashton touches my other hand.

“Oh, come on,” the man says, clicking a bullet into the chamber. “I just want to see what you can do.” He fires the gun and at the same exact time a bright flash comes from my hand, blinding me. When I can see again, the bullet is gone and the man is smiling evilly.

Ashton lightly taps my palm three times. He wants to do something. I can tell.

In three…

Two taps.

Two…

One tap.

One…

He squeezes my hand lightly.

Now.

Ashton lunges toward the man and I hear a gun go off. Ashton groans as he falls and I scream his name as I shoot a bolt of lightning at the man, dropping him.

I run over to Ashton and drop down beside him. I touch his hand that is covering the bullet wound. If he can heal himself, why isn’t he? He’ll die if he doesn’t.

“Ashton,” I say, hearing the desperation in my voice and touching his pale cheek. “Come on, wake up.” Ashton moans and opens his eyes, his irises darker than I’m used to.

“I am awake,” he says, his voice strained. He pulls his hand away from his side as the bleeding stops. “I had to…” he winces and closes his eyes. He holds out his hand and in the middle of the palm is a bullet. I frown and take it out of his hand.

“You pulled that out of your side?” Ashton nods and sits up.

“Yeah. Now…” He looks at me and then at the still man. He raises an eyebrow and looks at me. “You took him down?” I shrug and stand up.

“Only temporarily. Why?” He shakes his head and stands up, walking over to the man to grab the guns. He turns on of them so that he’s holding the barrel instead of the handle and holds it out to me. I wrap my thin fingers around the handle and he releases the barrel but grabs my wrist. He pulls me toward him and I stare at him wide eyed. He smiles.

“Good job,” he says, leaning in to touch his lips to my forehead before letting go of my wrist and walking away. I stare after him and touch my fingers to my forehead, smiling nervously. What was I going to do about him?

I stare at the house before turning to catch up with Ashton. He holds a black back pack in his hand and I glance at it.

“What’s in that thing?” I ask, walking quickly to keep up with his long strides. He shrugs and flings it onto his shoulder without missing a step. “Oh, yeah. That explains a lot.” I grab his arm. “Would you slow down? My legs aren’t as long as yours, Ashton.” He slows and looks at me.

“Sorry,” he mumbles, running a hand over his face. “I tend to walk fast when I’m stressed.” I nod in understanding. He starts to slide his hands in his pockets, but I stop his one arm, lacing my fingers with his. He looks at me as we stop at a cross road. “What’s that for?” I shrug and give him a small smile.

“For the fun of it I guess.” I smile fully and let my curiosity get the best of me. “So,” I say as we cross the street, not letting go of his hand. “When you heal yourself-or any one for that matter- does it scar? Or hurt?” Ashton nods and hitches the bag higher on his shoulder.

“Hurt… Kinda. No too bad, actually. Scaring does happen.” He looks sideways at me. “My healing power isn’t that great. What I mean is, it’s not like I can take the displaced skin and blood matter, and put them back together.” He lifts his shirt with his free hand and shows me the scar. It’s pink and looks healed completely and I reach my hand out to lightly touch it. He winces and pulls away, dropping his shirt.

“I- I’m sorry,” I stutter, staring at him. He shrugs.

“It’s fine,” he says, taking my hand again. “It’s not like you knew it would hurt.” He glances at me and gives me a small smile.

I sigh and squeeze his hand lightly. I have so much to learn about myself and not much time to do so.

~

~

~

My stomach rumbles and I sigh. We’ve been walking for at least an hour and I’m starting to get tired. Ashton glances at me and frowns.

“You okay?” he asks quietly. I nod and the concern that was building in his eyes fades away. “Don’t worry. We’re almost there.” He lightly runs his hand across my shoulders.

“Almost where?”

“Almost here.” He smiles and pulls a key ring out of his pocket. He guides me to and old-ish looking black truck and we both slide in. We’re in an abandoned warehouse parking lot and I look over at Ashton. He slides the key into the ignition and an OneRepubic tune blasts from the speakers. He looks at me and smiles.

“What?” he asks innocently. “They’re one of those small pleasures you get in this life.” He puts the truck in gear and I wince as the gears grind together.

“Do you even know how to drive a stick shift?” I ask as the truck lurks forward. I grab the dashboard to keep myself from slamming into it. I turn down the music and look at him.

“No,” he says slowly. “Well… Kinda.” He gives me a small smile as the ride begins to smooth out. I smile back and lean into the hard leather seats.

“So. You bonded with me, huh?” I look at him.

“Yeah.” He glances at me before turning into a busy street. “Nothing to it really. All I did was give you the information you needed to know about who we are and what we want do. I couldn’t give you the information about your powers because no one but you knows what you can do.” He smiles at me. “Don’t worry, you’ll figure yourself out soon enough.”

Yeah, I know the basics, but learning about who I really am is a challenge that I might fail. But even if I do, I know Ashton will be there to help me get on the right track again. I close my eyes, listening to the music and the engine, letting it soothe me.

on Mar. 24 2015 at 10:40 am

Thanks! ^.^ It definitely needs some more revising before I do anything else with it. I'm still working on that third part. It's just not working out well at all. We'll see.

GreekGoddess BRONZE, Andover, Connecticut

"The unprepared rebel dies in the fire."
~unknown

This has me hooked, can't wait to see more! Keep an eye on your sentence structure, it's a bit choppy.

on Aug. 5 2014 at 11:51 am

No problem. And yep. More is coming. Just gotta get it typed out and edited! 

on Aug. 3 2014 at 9:50 am
EmilytheBelleofA. DIAMOND, Athens, Georgia

To love is to be vulnerable; Triumph is born out of struggle; We notice shadows most when they stand alone in the midst of overwhelming light.

Also, thank you for sharing this!

on Aug. 3 2014 at 9:50 am

I still think this is awesome! It's amazingly written! Is there more coming?