The Great devourer | Teen Ink

The Great devourer

March 31, 2014
By DeathLord BRONZE, sewell, New Jersey
More by this author
DeathLord BRONZE, Sewell, New Jersey
2 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
Dont give sway to the negative way - Xantho the horse


GENETICLLY ENGINEERED HUMAN SCIENCE PROGRAM ( G.E.H.S.P )
FROM: Jonathan Wells
TO: Oregon Smith
CLASSIFIED:REPORT: THE GREAT DEVOURER
RE: MIKE SANDERS

I guess you could say the experiment was successful. We successfully turned him into a war machine. One we can not control.15 year old Mike willingly followed procedure and went under knowing the risks. We worked on him for a total of twelve hours until we finished. He came out successful and we gave him the safety tests. All were positive. All we had to do was sign him out and he would leave to go to the study facility, but that is where things started to go wrong.

He began to shudder violently unlike any test subject we ever had before. We grabbed him and tried to hold him down, but he was incredibly strong. He punched one doctor in the stomach, and threw another across the room. We called in security, and they managed to subdue him for a couple minutes. This is where things get real crazy.

His eyes turned black and he grew at least to twenty feet tall, maybe more. He then morphed into a skeletal beast with pincers in his mouth and clawed feet. He looked at the security guards, smashed his pincers together opened his mouth and spoke something unintelligible. Then one of the guards collapsed on the ground, dead ( we studied the guard afterward and there was no visual harm done, it was as if Mike ate his very soul ). He then smashed a hole in the wall and ran away.
We are currently attempting to track Mike, but we don't believe he is in England anymore. The most likely places he could be are either France, America, or Russia. If he is in America or Russia, we might find him, but France would be hard.

We have agents looking in all three of the countries. NOTE: he is too unpredictable, if we find him, we will kill him. Please reply soon

My life in America is so much different than England. First, they talk differently and even though we speak the same language, they use different words. I've adapted well, and my accent is weaker than it was and I have also began using their words. Second, when I was in England, I didn't have a inner monster that eats peoples souls.
I call it the Great Devourer and I have learned to control it so I don't randomly morph, and I can actually change at will, but if I get too angry, that's another story.
I don't remember anything of my life in England except my escape. I don't think I had parents, and I believe the G.E.H.S.C is to blame. Maybe they were previous test subjects? I don't know, and I probably never will.
I've begun attending school, because my only wish in life is to be normal again, and at school, I feel normal no matter how strange I know I am. I have a couple friends, but I mostly keep to myself so I don't explode and kill someone.
Right now, I am heading to school from my 'house' which is actually an abandoned workshop which every construction man refuses to buy. I've set up a small bed in the left corner.
When I arrive at school, I meat up with my friend Collin Miles in the cafeteria while we ( as well as the other kids ) wait to be dismissed to our first class.
“ Good morning Collin.” I say as I walk in his direction.
“Hey!” He replies. “ Good morning to you too.”
I sit down in an empty chair next to him, and look around as other people pour in through the doors.
I hear Collin scowl and I turn around to see Ryan Mitch, the school bully walking with his cronies up to our table.
“ Why won't they leave us alone?” Collin mumbles.
I shrugged as Ryan took his seat next to me.
“So,” He said “ How are you freaks doing?”
Behind him, Ryan's friends laughed. He looked at his cronies and smiled.
“ Shut it Ryan.” Collin replied. “ Go away and leave us alone.”
“ Awww. Is the baby crying?” Ryan asked sarcastically.
Collin got up out of his seat and grabbed Ryan's collar and pulled him forwards.
“ I said shut it!!” Collin yelled.
Ryan responded by punching Collin in the gut. This is where I stepped in. I grabbed Ryan, threw him to the floor and pushed Collin behind me. I have had a lot of time dealing with this constant ramble, and I believed it was time to put Ryan in his place.
“ Enough!” I shouted as Ryan scrambled off the floor.
Ryan looked at me angrily as if I were ruining his show.
“ Beat it Mike. Your getting in my way.” Ryan spat.
“ No, your getting in mine.” I said back.
He looked at me with deep hatred in his eyes, then spat at the ground near my shoe.
“ Come on guys lets go.” Ryan said. He and his friends then walked off slowly, as if they were cool.
I then directed my attention the Collin, who had the same evil look in his eye.
“ I can't stand him.” Collin muttered.
I nodded.
“ And why did you step in?” He added. “ I had it totally under control.”
“ Really?” I said jokingly. “ Getting punched in the gut is 'under control'? Come on. I saved your skin and you know it.”
Collin snorted, then smiled.
“ Yeah well...” Collin tried.
Just then the bell rung. We said our goodbyes and headed in separate directions.
My first class was science, which I am best in. My teacher, Mrs. Harris, loved her job. She wouldn't just teach us something through worksheets, she would teach us in a way that made worksheets fun. For a teacher, something like that is really impressive.
Right now, was one of the worst days we could have in Mrs. Harris' class. We had a substitute.
I sighed and took my seat next to my lab partner, a girl named Sara James. Another thing about Mrs. Harris is she always made boys and girls the same lab partners. Woohoo. Anyway when I first was placed next to Sara I probably would have blushed, but the genetic engineering has side effects. I can't blush, sweat, cry, whistle, or shiver, my bones and muscles are thicker, I have an excellent memory, my brain is filled with knowledge about war, combat and general mathematics and science, and I can bench press 220 pounds and I haven't worked out in my life. If you ask me, sounds like the G.E.H.S.P wanted to make a war machine. If that's true, then I'm in over my head.
I sat down and greeted Sara, and placed my folder down. I sat down and waited for class to start. When everyone finally arrived, five minutes after the bell rung, the substitute started.
“ Okay, today since Mrs. uh.. Harris isn't here today, we are just going to watch this video on uh... volcanoes.” He muttered.
The class let out a halfhearted 'yes' and settled down to watch the video. The video is about, well, volcanoes and the science in them. Everything they said on the screen I already knew, but I forced myself to watch it.
I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned and saw Sara looking at me.
“ What?” I asked.
“ Is it true that you and Ryan are going to be fighting?” She began. “ This afternoon when schools out?”
“ No,” I said blandly. “ It's not.”
She shrugged and then spoke.
“ Well that's good. I don't like fights.” She said, then looked back at the screen.
I looked away and nodded.
“ Yeah. But hold on, who told you this?” I asked.
She looked back at me and shrugged.
“ One of my friends. You probably don't know her.” She said.
“ Name?” I asked.
“ Jenna”
I thought for a second then half chuckled.
“ Yeah, you're right.” I said.

After school, I headed straight to my job. I work at an Mr. Freezes Ice Cream Shop, where I get 30 dollars every day. Tips are nice. I usually get 20 to 30 dollars in tips, so I really rely on them. I usually work for three hours, but if I have no homework, I'll stay longer.
I work as the cashier. Nothing big. Sometimes kids at school stop by to keep me company and buy ice cream, but when they don't, I talk to my friends Mike Rites, the maintenance man, who we all call Mike Two, since we share the same name; Scott Palmer, who is the manager, and Sam Twine, the co-manager. She's also in charge of making the ice cream.
“ Hey, Scott.” I said as I walked into the shop.
He is always on cashier duty while I'm at school. He looked at me and nodded.
“ Hey, your late,” He said. “ I should take away some money for that.
I chuckled as I took over the cash register.
“ I sure hope not.” I replied.
Scott patted my shoulder as he went to sweep the floors.
“ Oh, hey Mikey.” Said Mike Rites as he glanced away from his job.
“ Oh, hey Two,” I replied. “ Hey, there aren't many people coming by today.”
Mike nodded, and looked around outside.
“ Kind of chilly tonight, that might be it.”
I shrugged. I'll get the 30,” I thought. “ Just not the tip.”
Then, I heard a ping! From the side of the store and went to go serve the costumer.
It was one of our regulars, a plump nice man named John Miller. He usually came by once or twice a week, but this week, his daughter had a birthday, so he has been here twice already.
“ Hey, John, whats up?” I asked.
“ Sup Mikey. Just coming by to pick up my ice cream.” He replied.
I nodded and smiled. John was a nice man.
“ So you want the regular?” I asked.
“ Nah, think I'm gonna go for a new one today.” He replied.
“ So, what shall it be.” I said.
He stood there for a minute deciding as a person stepped up behind him.
“ I'll take the Mr. Freeze original in an extra-large please.” He said.
I smiled. “ Good choice.”
I told him to wait a minute, as I went back and gave Sam the order.
The Mr. Freeze original was a blend of vanilla and mint, mixed with chocolate chips, and covered in sprinkles. Just like any other cone, it comes with three sizes, but instead of small, medium, large, it is large, extra-large and SUPER-large.
After we gave him his cone, he dropped a three dollar tip and went of.
It began to look dark out, I called it a day. I still had to have dinner.
“ Okay, I'm going to be heading out guys.” I called.
Scott came over with $45 and said goodbye. I exited the store and started my journey home. When I got there, I was pretty tired and my bed was calling to me. I went over to make-shift safe, which now house over $400 dollars, and put my money inside.
My stomach told me to eat, but I was really tired, so I slowly crawled into bed.

I woke up, and the first thing I thought of was food. I crawled out of bed and went outside. I had about three hours until sunrise, and at least two hours until I had to be at school. I walked over to my safe, took out $30, and went into town to buy breakfast.
When I had my breakfast, I looked back at then sun. Still plenty of time, so I went back home, put my money away, and walked out. I decided to just roam the town, when I saw Ryan and his friends walk by on the other side of the street.
I tried to go unnoticed, but they saw me, and slowly walked over.
“ Well, well, well. Look who we got here, guys.” Ryan sneered with an evil grin.
I looked at him and smiled back.
“ Hi, Ryan,” I said, still smiling. “ And Ryan's friends. Wow I didn't know you had any.”
Ryan stopped smiling and turned to his friends.
“ Well, guys. I think we should teach this punk a lesson.” One of Ryan's friends said.
Ryan smiled. So did I.
“ Oh, and while your at it,” I said sarcastically. “ Can I borrow some money? Forgot mine at home.”
Ryan shouted and threw a punch. I easily caught it and twisted it back.
“ NO! No! Please let me go! I...I won't bother you any more! Just- AHH!! Please!” Ryan shouted as I twisted his wrist farther and farther back.
“ Sure you will. I just won't one more thing.” I said, looking at Ryan's friends who were petrified.
“ Name it just- OWW!!! Let go of my arm!” He shouted, tears forming in his eyes.
“ Give me your lunch money.” I said grinning.
“ Okay! Okay, I'll get it, just let go of my- OWW!! Okay here, take it!” He shouted.
I took it from his hand, twisted his other a bit farther, then let go. Then, movie style, I walked away without turning around

After my encounter with Ryan, I headed off to school, still at least 30 minutes early. Walking up to the school, I saw very few kids. Mainly just the student council. I took my seat in the cafeteria, along with a few other kids, as I waited for school to start. More people began pouring through the double doors, and a few kids saw me, pointed, and made their way over.
“Hey! It's the kid who beat up Ryan!” One of them shouted.
I sighed as they took their place next to me.
“ How did you do it?” Another asked. “ Come on tell me? I heard you broke his wrist.”
They kept on throwing questions my way, and I had no intent of answering them. Until Ryan walked in. I honestly thought he would've stayed home from school.
He walked over to me and stopped in front of me.
“ Hey, dude, can I have my money back?” He asked.
I took it out of my pocket and handed it to him.
“ Thanks.” He muttered and then walked away.
The kids that were standing around me looked at me astonished as if I were a god or something. Heck, maybe I am.
Before anyone could talk, I left the table and made my way to science

I looked at my watch, half past noon. Almost time. The lights dimmed letting me know that it was closing time. "I hate this job" I remarked throwing my Dairy Queen cap on the floor.I looked at my boss who nodded for me to leave.
I ran out the door and jumped into my old beat up truck. I turned the key and the truck gave a choking sound and stalled. I looked at my tip for the day , not nearly enough to by myself a new car. Out of the corner of my eye I could see a slick black car silently cutting through the night. Through the tinted windows I could see a man lean out with a blow dart, aiming straight at my neck. I tried to get out of the way but it was to late. I went down and a pair of heavily muscled arms were upon me.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 1 comment.


on Jul. 26 2014 at 3:07 pm
EmilytheBelleofA. DIAMOND, Athens, Georgia
81 articles 5 photos 1486 comments

Favorite Quote:
To love is to be vulnerable; Triumph is born out of struggle; We notice shadows most when they stand alone in the midst of overwhelming light.

What happened? I found this intresting and good. I hope you keep writing more. ^_^ thanks for sharing this!