Top Gamer | Teen Ink

Top Gamer

By MakiTen10, Defiance, Ohio
MakiTen10, Defiance, Ohio

You were put on earth, not to hate life, but to enjoy life to the fullest.

This chapter really is very mellow.

Section 1:
He reads their faces to see if their real. People say more from their facial expressions than they do with their voice. If he can crack the code of every murder out there, he can find the dead body of his sister...

Chapter 1- Annie.

Nicholas sat down at his computer. His father was at work, and he had some time to work on his gamer scores. He'd been busy with his other work, he didn't have time to actually play. For being only 17, turning 18 in four months, he was a busy guy.

He heard a knock at his door. Sighing quietly, he got up and answered it. He looked kind of confused. Right in front of him, was the girl he'd thought didn't know he existed. But he recognized that look anywhere- she needed help. Something had just happened, and she needed help figuring it out. Nicholas was about to burst and ask “What's wrong?” but he avoided it.

“Hi Annie, how are you?” He asked.

“Can't you see I'm freaking out?” She demanded.

He put his hands up, not saying a word.

“My little brother was kidnapped, and when I went to the police, they gave me this address. I think it was a mistake.” She said quietly.

“Why would you say that?” He asked.

“Because you're no kidnapping expert. You're just a kid.” She said.

“Huh, okay. You know two weeks ago, the case about a Mr. Carino that abducted seven women and three kids?” He asked.

She nodded.

“Well,” he explained, “if I where to guess, they found Carino in a vacant club, dead from drugs, the women and children okay but hungry in a basement, a dog in the basement guarding them from moving, and a old Chevy filled with enough drugs to fuel half the Northern boarder.”

She rose an eyebrow. “None of that was in the paper.”

“Because I figured that out on my own.”

“How?”

“Let's just say the police department would be lost without me.” Nicholas smiles.

“What are you, some kind of teenage detective?” She asks.

“I prefer the term hero of the many sidekicks.”

Annie just looked at him. “How do I believe this?”

“I'll show you. Let's go down to the police station and I'll have you meet my coordinator.”

Before she had time to respond, Nicholas had already had his hand around her wrist, and was pulling her down the stairs of the apartment and out the door. He practically dragged her to the police station.

When he entered, someone that recognized him, an officer named Rex Sanderson, who claimed Nicholas as his work partner, was there.

“Oh, hey Nick! Who's your friend?” He asked.

“Hi Rex. This is Annie, she's in my class.” Nicholas replied.

“Well nice to meet you Annie. You know about Nick's profession, huh?” He asked.

“Yeah I guess I do now.” She said, shocked.

“I tried to warn you.” Nicholas said, smiling.

She glared at him a little, but shrugged nonetheless.

“So why are you here?” Rex asked.

“Well, my little brother's missing, and I came here a little while ago, but they redirected me to him.” Annie explained.

“Oh okay. They sent you to the finest. Please tell us everything you know about what happened.” Rex said.

She nodded and explained that her little brother, Wayne, was walking to his friends house half a block away. Someone saw a small black corvette drive up, and then the little kid was gone. She started tearing up when she said she didn't know what else happened.

“Hey hey hey, it's okay Annie.” Nicholas said gently.

“What if he gets hurt?” She whispered.

“He won't. I'll work on this alone if I have to. Your little brother will be just fine.” He guaranteed, although he hardly believed it himself.

She nodded, wiping tears off her face.

Rex motioned for Nicholas to come over. Nicholas did, and he handed Nicholas the items he'd need. Annie looked shocked to see him guarding himself with a gun.

“Are you registered to have that?” Annie asked.

Nicholas showed her the badge. “I get this renewed like the rest of the officers. I've been holding onto it since I was ten.”

“Dang. How long have you been doing this?” She asked.

“Way too long.” Nicholas sighed.

She nodded. Rex whistled at Nicholas, then threw him a set of keys. Nicholas nodded, motioned for Annie to follow, and they found the car Nicholas got. A black KIA Optima 2007 that looked like it'd be used for kidnapping someone. Or, in Nicholas' case, finding someone who was kidnapped.

She just looked at the vehicle.

“Are you coming or not? I was gonna take you home.” Nicholas added.

“Okay.” she said, snapping out of thought.

She got in the passenger's side, and let out a shaky sigh.

“Are you okay?” Nicholas asked.

“Do you have any secrets you'd never tell anyone, no matter who they where?” She asked.

“Yeah, more than I can attest to.” Nicholas replied, starting the car.

“I bet everyone does. I have some.” She said quietly.

Nicholas nodded.

As he pulled out of the parking lot of the station, she whispered, too quietly for him to hear “I know the kidnapper.”

Still going slow... Sorry. -_-

Nicholas pulled up to Annie's house, and she got out. But before he could pull away, before he even had time to start breathing, Annie's father came bursting out, and slammed a hand down on his hood. Nicholas knew immediately what was going on. How dare she betray me? His face read.

“Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to remove your hand.” He said, pulling out his police badge.

Nicholas got out of the car. He was able to appear older and more reliable to a certain degree when he put his mind into his work.

“Who are you? How do I know that the badge is real?” The man demanded.

“Well, have you heard of Nicholas Kate?” Nicholas asked.

“Yeah. He's the youngest man on the police force.” He said.

“Pleasure to meet you, I'm Nicholas Kate.” Nicholas smiled, holding his hand out.

“Oh- Oh God! Is she in trouble? What did she do?” Her father asked.

“No no no, she's not in trouble. But she came with some disturbing news.” Nicholas said quickly.

“What's wrong?” He asked.

Nicholas told him everything he knew. Annie's father, who introduced himself as Austin, was a mess.

“I think I know who did it.” He admitted.

“Who?” Nicholas asked.

“Their mother. She left just after James turned a year old, and she just recently started surfacing again. I wouldn't let her take James and Annie out, but she said she'd find a way.”

Nicholas nodded. “That's motive for it. Do you think you'd know where she lives, or some places she'd be most likely to go?”

He nodded. “Some hotels, a couple friends houses, a few taverns. Would you like me to write down a list for you?”

“That would be great. Thank you, sir, for your cooperation. I'll do my best to get your son back.” Nicholas said.

He nodded, and they all went into Annie's house.

Inside there where a lot of old newspapers, but other than that the house looked like something straight out of a magazine. The furniture placed just so, there was no clutter, the stairs had nothing on them, the wooden floors looked like they'd just been put in and polished, even the television looked great, and it was old.

Austin handed Nicholas the list. “Please, get my son back.”

“I'll do what I can, sir. Hopefully no one gets hurt.” Nicholas said.

Nicholas walked out to the car, and remembered a case the year before similar. Only it wasn't to him. It was to Rex Sanderson. And it wasn't a little boy, it was Nicholas' sister. He remembered Rex going to apartment, in tears that night, saying they found his sister.

In the hospital...

Nicholas shook the image from his mind and continued to drive. The first place he went was David's Tavern, where he knew the owner from various consultants.

He walked in and the manager gasped.

“You know why I'm here.” Nicholas said.

“Look, we didn't do nothing! We been clean for year straight now!” The bartender said.

“I don't care about that. Let me talk to your boss now.”

He nodded.

Nicholas waited patiently for the owner, Carlo, to come out. He heard his footsteps, and Nicholas looked up from the pamphlet of different alcoholic beverages.

“Nicholas? Why are you here?” Carlo asked, his face starting to turn red.

“I just have a couple questions. It's not about you though.” Nicholas said, reading I swear I haven't done anything in his face.

Nicholas watched the anxiety fade. Carlo took him into his office.

“So what do you need?” Carlo asked.

“Do you know the woman Kara Sheldon?” Nicholas inquired.

“Yeah, she's a regular.” Carlo nodded.

“This her?”

Nicholas handed Carlo a picture. Carlo observed it for just a second, then nodded. “Yeah. She's lovely, but needs to lay off the alcohol. I say that, and I tend at a tavern.”

“What do you know about her?”

“She's got a family, two kids and a husband that sounds like a good man. She's been with other men recently, and I'm assuming she's losing custody of her children.”

Nicholas nodded, writing everything down. “Thanks for the cooperation this time. Perhaps we'll save this kid's life.”

“Wait, what happened? You on another kidnapping case?”

Nicholas nodded.

“Well if you need anything, call up your dad. He was in this business long before you where born.”

“I'll keep that in mind.”

I left the bar and headed to the next one, called Champagne and Chatter. That one was new, and Nicholas had never heard of it. He walked up to administration, and they blocked his way.

When Nicholas showed the badge, the man said “Nice try kid. I'm sure that's fake.”

When Nicholas pulled out the gun, he inquired “Is this fake?”

The man let Nicholas in, and he walked over to the bar. Nicholas looked a little older than he was, so he could pose off as an adult. He wouldn't buy anything, the law was still the law, but he could talk to people. He sat at the bar, extremely uncomfortable, and walked to the manager.

“Why are you so curious about our customers?” The man asked.

Nicholas held up his badge, and that got the manager to just look astounded.

“You shouldn't be here, kid. This place isn't safe for any form of detective or officer or anything like that for that matter. I'll let you talk to the boss. But when you're done, turn on your heels and walk out.”

Nicholas nodded. He followed the manager to the main office, where the boss was. The manager opened the door, and Nicholas walked in. Nicholas stopped dead in his tracks.

“Ah, Nicholas Kate. So nice to see you again.” The man taunted.

Nicholas pulled the gun out from his belt. “Give me one reason why I shouldn't shoot you right now!”

“Murder is murder, Officer.”

Nicholas glared. “Tell me what you know about Kara Sheldon. You have two minutes before I call the police down here for backup.”

The man said Kara was a stripper, worked at night, was very quiet, violent and got fired the night prior due to a squabble with a co-worker. She'd commonly come in off-duty for drinks with a different man almost every day.

Nicholas left the office, and threatened to go back. He thought he wouldn't, but no one ever knew.

Nicholas got in just as his cellphone rang.

“Nicholas?” it was Rex.

“Yeah.” Nicholas said.

“Hey, can you come pick me up now? The paperwork's done, and I can work with you.” Rex included.

“Yeah, hold tight I'm on my way.”

Nicholas drove to the station, and got into the passenger's side, letting Rex drive.

“Nicholas.” Rex said.

“What?” Nicholas asked, reading all his notes again.

“How long have you had a ladies earring?” Rex asked, starting to laugh.

“I've had that for two years now.” Nicholas replied.

Rex laughed. “It looks feminine.”

“It's a major turn-on with the ladies.”

“You know, sometimes I forget you're a teenager. Then you say stuff like that, and I remember I'm the adult here.” Rex said.

Nicholas just laughed a little.

Next they drove to a hotel called 'Marion Suites', a very swanky place with high-end furniture and appliances. It was better than where Nicholas lived, and his house was nice.

They talked to the manager. Kara stayed there with varying men, ordered astronomically large orders of room service, then was gone the next day. Each place they went, they learned how much worse that woman was.

But they where no closer to finding the little kid that had been kidnapped.

Klaudette, or Klawd, is a very fundamental character.

They stopped at a house, the first house they decided to stop at.

“Are we sure this is right?” Nicholas asked.

Rex looked down at the address. “Yep, this is the place.”

“Hm.”

They both got out, and looked at the house. It was extremely old, and it looked like it needed to be torn down. Somehow, though, there was a form of life. There where small signs that someone lived there. A new car in the driveway, new heel marks in the dirt, fresh groceries that looked like they where just put there.

Nicholas and Rex walked up to the house. They both stopped short. They heard the sounds of running. A little kid kept screaming “No! I want Daddy!”

“Dude, we gotta get in there!” Nicholas said.

Rex agreed. Rex broke the locked door in, and they both about ran into Kara.

“Freeze!” Nicholas yelled.

She stopped dead in her tracks. Nicholas and Rex slowly approached her.

The little boy looked up at them and whispered “Please, help me.”

Nicholas tried to reach for him, but Kara kept him behind her. “You will not steal my son!”

“Okay. But you do know that stealing him from his dad was a crime, yeah?” Nicholas said gently.

“No. No it's not a crime! He's my son, and his evil father wouldn't let me have him!” She screamed.

“He wasn't stealing your son, he was protecting him.” Rex said.

She pulled a gun from her belt. “Protecting him from what?”

“Well, seems how you're unauthorized to have a weapon, you kidnapped your son, you won't simply listen to the police, you smell like you haven't showered in days, and this house is about to collapse in on us, I'd say you.” Nicholas said.

I will kill you her face said.

“Rex, we gotta get that kid and get out of here.” Nicholas whispered.

“Your help is invaluable.” Rex whispered sarcastically.

“Shut up! If you so much as try to touch my son I'll blow you to bits!” She declared.

“We're trying to save him!” Rex exploded.

She took a shot, but greatly missed Rex and Nicholas both. Nicholas turned and left. He couldn't be in an area with people shooting. Unless it was him. He was allowed to shoot, even though Nicholas knew he wouldn't ever.

He called in for backup, and soon six other cars where there.

The head of the police department came out and walked up to Nicholas.

“What's going on here?” She asked.

“A mom kidnapped her son, holding him here. I doubt this is over though. Even when we get him to his dad. I don't think this will be the end of it.” Nicholas explained.

“That's why you're junior head detective.” She said, patting his arm.

“This case is just too familiar, it hits too close to home. I know this one isn't over, just as the other one isn't over.”

She looked down for a second, then back up at him. “That case has been closed. But I know you'll find out a way to work it anyway.”

Nicholas smiled and nodded. The chief, named Margaret Johnson, was a very small, petite brown-haired, brown-eyed woman. She scared every living thing though. No one messed with Police Department 0098 Chief Margaret Johnson. Nicholas was even afraid of her. And he was almost twice her height and could lifter her with one hand.

Nicholas sat in his car while they dragged out a detained Kara Sheldon. He listened to the radio quietly, waiting for Rex to come back.

The driver's door opened, and Rex got in.

“He's gone.” He said.

“So we lost James. Did he run off?” Nicholas asked.

“I don't think so. I think someone else was in that house.” Rex replied.

“Did you tell the chief?” Nicholas asked.

“Yep. We're on our own this time.”

Nicholas nodded. “Good. We can bring in Klawd.”

“Do you think she'll be up to it?” Rex asked, running his hand nervously through his blonde hair.

“Probably. She loves a good kidnapping case.”

Rex nodded. “We'll head that way then.”

Nicholas nodded too, and they turned around and headed outside of town. Nicholas and Rex pulled up to an older house, that was well maintained and looked good for being over 100 years old. The house was huge, about ten bedroom and three bathrooms, a basement that was part of the Underground Railroad, and a barn that everyone believed held drugs. Nicholas knocked on the door, and a small blonde girl with hazel eyes and glasses came to the door. She was wearing all black with paint splatters on her clothes, and she looked as though she hadn't slept in days.

“Klawd, how are you doing?” Rex asked.

“Oh, pretty good. Working on a new portrait. How's the police business going?” Klawd replied.

“Not so hot. We just lost a kid we where trying to save.” Nicholas replied.

“So you came to me?” Klawd asked.

Rex and Nicholas nodded at the same time. Klawd sighed. “Look, the last time I worked on a case, you lost your sister. I wasn't ever the best, and I can't help you now.”

“Klawd, we need you. You're the best at getting into people's heads and making them talk.” Nicholas said gently.

Klawd looked down at the ground, then back up at Nicholas and sighed. “You're lucky you're cute.”

She let them in. “I'll change, and be right back so we can go.” After she left, Rex looked at Nicholas.

“What?” He said.

“She called you cute.” Rex giggled.

“Are you gonna start saying girls have cooties now?” Nicholas chuckled.

“Maybe.” Rex replied.

Klawd came downstairs, and Nicholas' jaw dropped a little. He was staring. She blushed a little, and said “You like what you see, Nikki?”

He snapped out of it and blushed too. She was wearing a burnt orange tank top, a black sweater, dark blue jeans and converse. Her short blonde hair had a headband, and she cleaned herself up. Underneath the paint and lack of sleep, Nicholas thought she was very attractive.

“Let's take my car.” Klawd said.

Everyone agreed with Klawd. She was one of the best under-cover agents they'd ever had. If she asked for something, they did it. Klawd put herself in many different situations, learned German, Spanish and French to do her job, and acquired many different accents. She was like a method actress, and she did beautifully.

She threw her keys at Nicholas and sat in the front passenger seat. Her car was a silver Yukon with leather seats and tinted windows. Rex took the middle, stretching out to lounge. Rex broke his leg on a case once, and it never healed right. He usually drove so he could actually walk. But if he sat just right in a car, he'd be fine.

Nicholas sat in the drivers seat, and they drove to the police station to register Klawd. She got out and sniffed deeply. “I love the smell of crime in the morning.”

Rex and Nicholas got out, and they all walked into the police station. Klawd properly knocked on the chief's door. When she was allowed, she and the two guys walked in. Klawd looked slightly nervous. She'd never been nervous. Nicholas read in her face I can't be seriously doing this. What am I thinking?

Nicholas frowned deeply. He didn't want to make Klawd do something she didn't want to do.

“Klaudette?” The chief asked.

“Yeah. I'd like to rejoin the team.” She said quietly, a small smile.

“It's only been about a year. Are you sure you want to come back already?”

Klawd looked at Rex and Nicholas, and nodded. “I'm sure.”

Johnson got up, and handed Klawd her badge, her belt and a bullet-proof vest. The bullet-proof vest was orange, so it would match her tank top. She walked to the women bathroom in order to put it on.

“You guys got Klaudette to join you again? We've been calling her for months now!” Johnson said.

“Yeah. We got her to join us somehow.” Rex said, glancing at Nicholas.

“Well Klawd is very special. If she gets hurt again, I will hold you both personally responsible!” Johnson warned, her voice very stern.

Nicholas and Rex nodded. Klawd came back, looking like she wasn't even wearing the vest.

“Do I look okay, Meg?” She asked Johnson.

“You look great Klaudette.” She smiled at her.

“Thanks!” she turned to Rex and Nicholas. “Let's go catch a bad guy!”

The guys nodded, and they all piled into the Yukon. This time Rex drove, Nicholas sat in front passenger and Klawd in the middle. She played with a gaming device she had in the car. Her headphones where in, so she couldn't hear anything. At least the two guys thought.

“So how does it feel having your cousin working again?” Nicholas asked Rex.

“Strange. She's definitely one of a kind though.” Rex replied, laughing.

“Yeah. Definitely.” Nicholas said.

“Don't tell me you're not over her.” Rex sighed.

“Well...” Nicholas shrugged.

“Well you know the rules. No being with anyone on the force. Besides, you're way too young.”

“I know I know. But I just can't shake these feelings. They're not like any other teenage crush that lasted three days or so.”

“I see. Well I hope things work out for you two.” Rex shrugged.

Nicholas sighed.

Klawd held back saying she felt the same way. She knew she was young. They both were. But Klawd knew what was real and what was fake. She had to switch between them constantly for her job. But she didn't know what to say to Nicholas.

Klawd would never admit it, but she was scared.