My Tail

Author's note: I wasn't inspired to write this like others are. They see something and jot it down. I read a...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I wasn't inspired to write this like others are. They see something and jot it down. I read a book myself that was very cool. I hope this book inspires others to write as well.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 Next »

Hellos

“You aren’t going to ask me to prove it?” I asked, confused.
“Well I would like to see your tail. You were so cute when you were little!” I was so confused.
“Would you like to see dad?” I asked. She shot me a surprised glance.
“Sean is here, out of prison?”
“Yes, he’s at Purple Rock with Sadye.”
“Well put on your suit on and let’s go!”I grabbed my suit and towel again. My mom had on a fancy, golden ring with a diamond. She made sure I was ready and put on her flip flops.
“Let’s go my sweet.” I started out the door when she stopped me. In her hand she held a necklace with a key on it. In the middle was the shape of a heart.
“Your father gave this to me. He said that you would be only one to wear this without terrible things happening.” She clasped the necklace around my neck. “Now let’s get going.”
When we got on the dock I jumped into the water. My mother gasped as my tail formed. I could feel my tail becoming longer than usual. I neared the rock and jumped on it. I called out.
“Dad, Sadye, Chris! Come on out we’re here!” There was a CLANG from under the water. Their heads poked out from the water.
“Maria? Is that you?” Dad asked.
“Yes Sean it’s me!” She replied. She kicked off her flip flops and ran into the water. Dad wrapped her in a hug. Chris and Sadye smiled at this happy moment. Something grabbed at my new tail. An orange octopus had pulled me under. I looked down at my tail and saw that it was now rainbow instead of violet, red, and blue. I slapped the 8 armed menace and swam back to the rock. I flipped making him hit the rock. I landed sitting on the rock.
“Sweetie what happened? You look flustered,” Mom asked. I waved it away.
“Oh, mom, this is Sadye. She’s my friend.”
“Hello Sadye. Maria Seabreeze, nice to meet you.”
“Nice to meet you too, Mrs. Seabreeze.” Sadye replied.
“Mom, I have to go to school tomorrow. That means I have to go to bed!”
“Ok. Love you Sean. We’ll see you three tomorrow.” Mom and I waved good bye as they disappeared under the water.
When we got back to the boat mom tucked me in and said good night. I feel asleep right away. The dreams were calm and relaxing. I finally had my dad back into my life.
The next morning mom woke me up. It was 7:00 and bright out. Laid out on my bed were jeans starting to rip at the knees and a blue Under Armor shirt. I got dressed and put my hair in a hasty bun.
“Have a good day at school!” Mom kissed me on the cheek and sent me on my way. I rode my trusty bike to school. I met Althea in homeroom. She was texting on her cell phone.
“Althea, I have to introduce you to some “Friends” tonight.” I told her.
“Sure, we’ll ride to the docks together with Mary!” She cheered.
“Alright class, please take your seats,” Mrs. Lindberg announced. “Today is a special day of school. Today is International Swim Day!” The class cheered. “So today you get to swim all day long!” Everyone picked up their gym bags and lined up at the door. Althea and I were in the back of the line. Mary came up behind us with her bag.
“Let’s go you guys!” Mary pushed us through the halls towards the pool. Everyone had to sit by the pool. Mr. Blue walked out in front of us.
“Now listen here kids. Today is swim day. Only 20 kids per lane. No jumping off any of the diving boards. You may use 2 noodles and one tube. Please don’t splash anyone. You can switch spots with someone in another lane. Ok those are the rules. Would anyone like to show how you’re supposed to swim in the pool?” Mr. Blue asked. I felt my hand go up and I saw Althea’s raised.
“Mary! What are you doing?” I whispered angrily.
“Ok! Cove, Seabreeze jump on in!” Mr. Blue called. What Mary did next was unforgivable.