A Billioneirs Work | Teen Ink

A Billioneirs Work

By Nimra BRONZE, New York, New York
Nimra BRONZE, New York, New York

“’The wheels on the car go round and round, round and round, round and round. The wheels on the car go round and round, all through downtown!’” Denver covered his ears as his little sister sang so loud that nobody in the car could hear themselves think.
“Mom!” Denver yelled. “Make her stop!”
“Oh Denver, don’t be so mean, let her sing with her beautiful voice. Go on London, sing.” Denver quickly covered his ears as more horror was about to come from his 12 year old sister, London Morris’s mouth. Denver didn’t understand why his mother always chose his little sister’s side. Sure he was 14 and old enough to understand why, but he was still her child too, he wanted to be listened to too. London took a deep breath and started singing again.
“Carolina, maybe London should stop singing. Not that her voice is terrible-”

“Yes it is!” Denver yelled, but their Dad ignored him.
“But it’s making me lose my concentration on driving.”
“Sweetheart, let’s pause it for now. These boys don’t know about talent.” Mom told London.
“I understand, they’re just jealous and we don’t want them to feel bad.”
“Exactly.” Their mother said with a smile. Austin Morris and Denver both groaned. Carolina nudged Austin.
“Don’t be so rude, she’s just a child with a big heart.”
“Don’t you mean a big mouth?” Denver mumbled.
“Oh relax Denver. Next time we’ll pick the vacation of your choice. I know you’re mad, but London won the coin toss, fair and square.”
“And now we’re going to a baby carnival.” He said crossing his arms.
“I’m sure there are plenty of things to do there.” Carolina looked back and smiled at Denver. “Be a dear, for me?” Denver wouldn’t have if anybody asked him to, but their mother had a way of persuading people. Denver nodded. His Mom patted his checks. “There’s my good boy.” London chuckled.
Denver just sat back in his seat and looked out the window at the night sky. It was filled with stars and the crescent moon shone. He saw his mother’s reflection in the rear mirror. Her amber eyes were looking forward at the road and her black hair was in a ponytail. London and Denver had their mother’s looks, except they had their Dad’s brown eyes. Their father was driving with caution as the traffic on the highway was very dangerous. Car’s zoomed so fast that you’d miss them in a blink of an eye. Denver hugged himself as the A/C was on full blast.
“Mom, Dad, can we turn the A/C down a bit?”
“No! I need to keep my hair straight. If it’s humid then my hair gets frizzy!” London complained. Denver sighed.
“There’s a sweater in the trunk, son.” Their Dad told him. Denver looked behind him and saw the huge space behind him. He saw the sweater and reached down to grab it. That’s when he saw two lights beaming forward fast!
“Dad! There’s a car coming behind us in speed!” Denver yelled. Their father quickly zoomed to the right, causing Denver to hit his head on the window and land on the ground hard. Austin cussed at the driver who was about to hit them. But then, he lost control of the car as more cars speeded by them and the car twirled around with no control.
“Austin!” Carolina yelled right when the kids yelled,
“Dad!” But Austin was too busy trying to control the steering wheel. The car drove right into a street lamp and it fell on top of the car. The real damage was done to their parents, who were crushed under the lamp post. London was fine except for a bruised wrist. She looked over at Denver who was on the floor with blood coming from his forehead and his arm twisted in a wrong angle, and he was unconsciousness. His eyes were rolled over his head as the bottom of the pole had hit him to the window that shattered on top of him.
“DENVER! MOM! DAD!” She cried. My family! She thought. But she kept herself together and took out the phone from her purse. She dialed 911 and cried as she had to think of what to say.
“911, what’s your emergency?”
“H-hello?”
“Yes, what’s your emergency?”
“M-my family was in a car accident. My parent’s a-are crushed under a street light and my brother…” She cried harder as she saw her brother on the ground. He looked like he was dead with all of the arms blood covering his shirt and the blood coming from his head dripped down on the car’s carpet. “I don’t know how he is!”
“Calm down ma’am. I’ll sent an ambulance over. Can you get out of the car?” London pulled the car door open.
“Y-yes.”
“Okay ma’am, stay outside while the ambulance arrives.” London closed the phone and stepped out of the car, crying as she saw the damage from the street light. She sobbed to the ground, not caring if people noticed and stared.

An ambulance came a few minutes later and carried their parents in a separate ambulance, and the two children in the other. Denver laid on the Gurnee while London sat next to him, stroking his hair.
“I’m so sorry.” She whispered to him and saw tears falling on him. He looked like he was dead. The color of his skin was pale and his clothes were covered with blood. One of the men in the car patted London.
“Don’t worry, he’ll be fine.” But London had her doubts. And what about my parents? She thought. Would they be alright?

When they arrived at the hospital, London sat on a hospital bed while a nurse covered her wrist with a bandage wrap and held it in place with a few fasteners. London tried her best not to cry, but she couldn’t keep it in. Her family were terribly injured and she was afraid she could lose them forever. Another nurse came in and smiled brightly. London growled silently at herself. At least your family wasn’t in a car accident, London said to herself. That’s the only reason you’re happy, because that was my family in the car accident and not yours! But she didn’t dare say that.
“Do you need something, sweetheart?”
“I want my family to be alright.” She confessed. The nurse sighed.
“I can’t guaranteed that, but of course if you pray, they will be.” She said and left. Praying, would it really work? Her family wasn’t really religious but what other option did London have of hoping her family would be alright? So, she started praying in her mind for her family to be alright since she had no power of helping or healing her family.
2 hours had passed on the uncomfortable hospital bed for London. She passed her time by crying, praying, and answering a few questions for the police, and doctors. A doctor came in and London quickly wiped the tears from her eyes.
“Hello London, how are you?”
“I’m 12 doctor, but I’m not a child. Just tell me they’re alright?” The doctor took off his glasses and frowned. That was never a good sign.
“London, I’m very sorry but…your parents didn’t make it.” London felt her heart stop for a while. She just stared at the doctor who couldn’t look London in the eye but forced himself to. London’s brain processed the exact words the doctor just said to try to understand better.
“M-m-my parents are…dead?” The doctor nodded slowly and it was as painful for the doctor to tell her this then how London felt right now.
“I’m terribly sorry. We tried to do everything we could, but they were badly injured.” London didn’t cry out loud, but she felt tears falling on her clothes like a waterfall. “But we have some good news.” London looked up. “Your brother made it. He just has a small concussion and a broken arm, but he’s going to be alright.”
“C-can I see him?” The doctor nodded and led London to another room. Denver laid on the hospital bed and was still unconsciousness. He was being monitored and he almost looked like he was sleeping. His right arm was in a cast and the corner of his head had a bandage. London walked over to her brother and took his hand. How am I going to break the news to him? London thought. Even though Denver was older, he was sensitive when it came to almost everything. He cried at romance movies, books, and especially terrible life events. London let her head drop as she thought about how to tell Denver about this.
“I’ll get a nurse to get you a blanket so you can stay here until your brother’s better.” Said the doctor and left.

London fell asleep on the chair next to her brother before the nurse could even give her a blanket and close the lights. London had too much on her mind and sleep was the only way she could calm down. Meanwhile, Denver was dreaming about the car accident. Every single detail of the car accident was in his dream and it was almost as if he was reliving it. He woke up screaming and shouting. London quickly got up and placed her hand on her mouth because she thought she was screaming. Nope, she wasn’t the one screaming. She looked over at the boy in the hospital bed, pale and sweaty.
“Denver!” London yelled hugging his. Denver held his sister tight as the dream terrified him. “Calm down, you’re okay.” London said trying to comfort Denver like his mother always did. Denver steadied his breathing and let go of London.
“Are you alright?” He asked.
“I’m fine, just a wrist that’s bruised.” She said.
“Where am I?” Denver said looking around, because this didn’t look like their house or the car.
“The hospital. Do you remember what happened?” Denver laid back in his bed.
“Don’t remind me.” He said, remembering the event and his dream. Then, a thought came to him. “What about Mom and Dad? Are they okay?” London forced herself to meet her brother’s brown eyes. He was as fragile as glass and the minute she told him the news, London knew he’d never be the same.
“Denver, Mom and Dad are…gone.” As she said these words, she wished it wasn’t true. She looked over at Denver who looked like he was in shock. He laid further down in his bed, wishing the Earth would swallow him up whole. He closed his eyes and let tears fall. He placed his hands on his face.
“This is all my fault.” Denver whispered.
“Denver! This is none of your fault, if anything this is mainly my fault!” Denver shook his head.
“This all my fault.” He said. He blamed himself. All of this is my fault. He said to himself, closing his eyes and starting to shake. He was going into shock. London’s eye’s widened as she saw her brother.
“DOCTOR!” She shouted. A bunch of doctors quickly ran in. They started to call nurses in and they placed an oxygen mask over him. They placed a bunch of needles inside of him and he slowly started to calm down. Even before the doctors could remove his oxygen mask and before Denver had completely stopped shaking, London ran over, hugged him and cried. I am not going to lose the only family I have, London thought. I am not going to lose my brother. Denver, stay with me. She said to herself.

For the past few days as Denver recovered, London and Denver stayed at the hospital. They didn’t talk much and were pretty quiet. Mostly Denver who just listened as his little sister tried to make life normal by making her singing sound as irritable as possible, but Denver just laid on his bed and stared at the wall. London sighed. What would it take to cheer this guy up? London thought.

Denver didn’t want to cheer up. He wanted to be alone and hide in the shadows. The singing of his sister was now the only thing that gave him hope, even though he didn’t show it. He stared at his foot and started counting his toes and starting singing a very unusual version of a nursery rhyme.
This little child was homeless,

This little child was hurt,
This little child was lonely,
This little child was upset,
This little child was sick,
This little child was in the hospital,
This little child was at his parent’s funeral,
This little child was terrified,
This little child had no one in his life,
This little child’s parents were dead and he cried all the way home.
It was exactly what Denver was feeling. He wasn’t happy, and he never would be. That’s what he thought. London sighed as all the things she was doing to cheer Denver up was useless. She felt like a clown making a crying baby laugh.
“Aw come on Denver, let’s see you smile!” The nurse said, who was watching the whole view. A nurse was kept in the room to keep an eye on Denver so he wouldn’t go into shock again. But Denver sat there like a hopeless puppy. London started dancing to the music playing from her phone. Denver watched, but that didn’t help. His mother loved dancing and that’s what Denver’s imagination was doing right now. Making London look like his mother and London was now his mother dancing.
Denver laid back and started shaking his head to get his vision straight. My mother’s dead! He said to himself. And so is my father, they’re gone! London looked at his brother and stopped dancing and fell to the ground. Nothing was working, and nothing would cheer him after tomorrow. The doctors declared that Denver was fine to go home and that tomorrow they would be going to their parent’s funeral. Which of course would crush Denver seeing their dead parents.

After they were released from the hospital, they were driven home by a police officer. The officer stood outside as the kids freshened up and changed. Denver changed into a black tuxedo and London changed into a black dress. But before she could go, she ran into their parent’s room. She cried as she entered but quickly searched in her mother’s jewelry box and took out a beautiful necklace. Her mother was going to give it to her for her 13th birthday which was in a few days, but London decided to take it today.

Denver was downstairs sitting in the officer car. He almost felt like a criminal sitting in the car. He blamed himself for the accident of his parents. He was the one who yelled out, and he was the one to cause the car to go out of control. He thought he should just be cuffed and driven downtown to the NYPD and placed in jail with the key thrown away. But of course everybody reassured him that they’d never do that and that none of this was his fault. London climbed in the car and closed the door. When Denver saw his mother’s locket around London’s neck, he almost fainted. But held it inside of him and quickly opened the windows to keep himself from getting sick, sticking his head out the window like a puppy who just got in a car for the first time and was about to be sick.

When they finally arrived at the Funeral, there weren’t a lot of people there. Their father’s brother had died when he was young from Pneumonia, and their mother had one sister, but she never show up. She didn’t show up at her only sister’s wedding or any other events! She lived in London, but was never really part of the family. London and Denver sat down on chairs next to them. London looked behind her. The only people that were there were their parent’s bosses, friends, and co-workers. Denver slouched in his chair as he saw the two caskets in the far corner. He started to feel very ill and London noticed it. She took Denver’s hand and squeezed it. Their mother’s boss came up on the stage to say a few words.
“Ladies and gentlemen, today is a sad day. We have lost two more people in the world. Two very special people that made other’s lives wonderful. Of course the one’s that suffer most are their children, Denver and London Morris. We feel terribly sorry for these lovely children as they are now no longer supported by their parents.” The man said. Denver couldn’t stop staring at the casket or thinking about what the man said.
They walked over to the caskets and watched their two loving parents sink into the ground. London used Denver’s body to support herself and Denver just stood there with his eyes red and felt tears coming from his eyes. As the funeral came to an end, everybody came over to tell them how sorry they were for the loss of their parents. The kids were silent throughout the whole funeral.
Soon as the funeral came to a close, Denver and London were driven home. The officer opened the door for the two children and they got out.
“Are you sure you’ll be alright here alone?”
“Yes.” They both said.
“Okay, but you do know that you can’t stay here at this home forever and will need to live with some other relative?”
“We understand, have a good night.” London said.
“You too, and I’m very sorry for your lost.” And the officer left. Denver dug through his trousers and got out his key. He unlocked the door and opened it for London.
“You should change, I’ll fix up something.” London nodded and ran upstairs. Denver went into the kitchen and placed his hand on the counter top and tried steadied his breath. He tried to move all the negative thoughts and events out of his head and focused on the bright side. London was alright and so was he. He still had his sister, and that was all he needed. Denver took off his dark blazer and started making dinner.
London walked down the stairs and sat on the kitchen table. She looked over at Denver who was making dinner with only one arm and was crying in pain inside. He was 14 and now he had to take care of his little sister. That would not be fun, thought London. Denver placed a plate of spaghetti and meatballs in front of London and him. He sat down and they both ate quietly. DING DONG! “Can’t the world just shut up?” Denver moaned, but he got up and answered the door. It was a UPS man.
“Package for Denver and London Morris?”

“Yes?” The man pulled out a clipboard and a pen and handed it over to Denver. He quickly signed it and took the huge envelope that had the words, URGENT, in red written all over it.
“Have a good day.” Yeah right, but Denver said,
“You too.” And he closed the door. Denver walked over to the dinner table and sat down, studying the envelope.
“Whose it from?” London asked.
“I don’t know.” Denver took a knife and cut it open. He shook the envelope and a few things landed on the table. Denver took the pink paper that smelled faintly of perfume and read it out loud.
“Dear Denver and London Morris,

This is your Uncle Ned and your Aunt Talia writing. We are extremely sorry about the loss of your parent. We know that you don’t have any other relatives to live with and even though you don’t know us very well, we’d love to take the both of you into our care. We have sent your plane tickets and you both are scheduled to leave at August 10th. We wish you a safe flight and can’t wait to meet the both of you.
Love,
Your Aunt and Uncle.”
Denver studied the paper.
“August 10, isn’t that tomorrow?” London asked.
“Yes.” Then Denver thought about it more. “Yes!” He grabbed the plane tickets and studied them. “We aren’t even packed yet!” London got up.
“Well come on then! Wait, what about our passports?”
“I know where they are, you just get pack. A few suitcases are in the basement.” They both ran around the house like crazy. Denver ran to the office room and searched all the files for their passports, which was pretty hard with a broken arm, but finally found it. Then he ran to the basement and grabbed two suitcases and started packing his clothes and all his belongings in it. Then he thought about it. I’m never going to come back here again. So in another bag, he placed both of their birth certificates and other papers and all the family photos he could find in the house and tried not to cry while looking at them.

London was packing her belongings and sneaked into their parent’s room and grabbed a few of their parent’s things to remember them. When they were done packing, they placed all 6 of their bags in the main hallway. Denver placed the tickets and passport on the table and a phone number for a taxi. “Better get some sleep. Big day tomorrow.” Denver said climbing up the stairs and going to his room.

“Um, Denver, is it alright if I sleep with you tonight? I don’t feel like sleeping alone.” If it was a normal day, Denver would have said something like, “Why, are you scared, you little baby?” But considering all that had happen in the past week, he didn’t say that.
“Sure, come on.” Denver opened his room and turned on the lights. It was just like he left it, a mess.
“Denver, at least keep your room clean.” Denver actually smiled at that comment as his neat freak sister helped him clean up a bit. London got into the bed and Denver slept on the floor. They drifted off in seconds.

When it was morning, Denver blinked the sun out of his eyes. He groaned as he picked up the clock from his side table and checked the time. 4:30 P.M. Denver gasped. They had 30 minutes till they get to the airport! Denver quickly got up and shook London awake.
“London, London! Wake up, we’ve got 30 minutes to get to the airport!” She quickly woke up.
“What?!”
“Get up! Get dressed! Get ready! Let’s go!” London quickly ran to her room to get dressed and so did Denver. They quickly ran downstairs.

“Wait Denver, we didn’t have lunch!” Denver groaned but ran into the kitchen and poured milk into two cereal boxes and handed one to London.

“Breakfast for lunch, enjoy, now come on!” They each grabbed 3 bags and ran outside. Denver quickly called a cab and it arrived in less than 5 minutes because Denver said he’d pay extra. Also, he’d give him two cereal boxes. “Airport, and step on it!” The cab driver nodded and drove with speed.

When they arrived at the airport, Denver quickly paid the cab driver and got their bags. They ran through the metal detectors and they quickly ran to their assigned gate. They were the last passengers there but they made it. They quickly sat in their seats that had the two siblings sitting together. London and Denver sat down, trying to catch their breaths.
“Next time…can you wake us up a little earlier?” London asked.
“Sorry, but this the first time we’re going on an airplane alone. Usually Mom and Dad…” His voice trailed off and he just laid back in his seat, realizing that they didn’t have any parents to rely on anymore. London just stared out at the window. Things would never be the same. Nothing would ever be the same. Sure they’d be in London with someone they’d know, but of course no one could replace their parents.
After an 8 hour flight, Denver and London got off from the plane and headed towards the baggage claim part of the airport to collect their bags. But with London’s bruised wrist and Denver’s broken arm, it would have taken forever if not for the people and guards who came to help the two kid’s out. They thanked everyone that helped them and headed down the escalators. They were thankful for the wheels and straps on their bags. They went to the Arrival Section at the London Heathrow Airport and looked around.
“Do you see anybody?” Denver shook his head.
“Guess there not here yet, and we don’t have their number either.”
“Well how’s that for planning.” London said sarcastically. She sat down in one of the hard seats and crossed her arms and legs. Denver sat next to her.
“I’m sure they’ll be here soon.”
“Maybe I don’t want them to be here.” London mumbled. Denver placed his good arm around her.
“Hey come on. I think it’s very nice of them to take us. Even if we don’t know them, we’ll get to know them soon.” London didn’t respond. She had been cheering up Denver for the past week that Denver felt like it was his turn. He quickly thought of something funny. “Hey London, we’re in London!” He cheered over and over again. London didn’t show it, but inside she was smiling.
“Maybe I should have been named by another city.”

“I think it’s a great city name. Plus everybody in our family have City names. Carolina, Austin, Denver and London. But of course my name is the best.” London punched his good arm.
“Yeah right, London sounds way prettier.”
“But Denver is better.” London rolled her eyes and took out a book to read from her suitcase while Denver watched the people coming from the doors and looking at anyone who might recognize them or if he could recognize them. But no one really looked like them or had a sign with their names on it.
It was hopeless. Nobody was coming for them. Denver felt his eyes becoming heavy as he didn’t sleep on the plane. He thought it would be better to watch out for her sister and keep an alert eye. But it was already dawn outside and he could feel his eyelids getting heavier by the second. London saw Denver’s head drooping back and forth. She placed his head on her shoulder, not taking her eye from her book.
“Why don’t you sleep for a while? I’ll wake you up when I notice something.” She said closing her book. Denver didn’t need to be told twice. He fell asleep on his sister’s shoulder. London smiled as she saw her brother sleeping. She thought he looked more peaceful than when he was awake and always thinking about the death of their parents. London kept an eye out for anything. She looked at a few people smiling and crying as they met each other. Of course that wouldn’t be us, thought London. We barely know our Aunt and Uncle!

After an hour at the Airport, London was growing tired and her leg was asleep. She gently placed her bag on her chair and laid her brother’s head on it. She walked around in a circle, trying to wake up her foot. She felt like an outsider. Every person here was speaking in a London accent and saying some funny words too. London started to stretch her arms and stretched down to touched her toes. She always did that when she wanted to push all the tension and stress out of her system. That’s when saw something. London saw two people holding up a whit sign. It said, WELCOME TO LONDON, ENGLAND, DENVER AND LONDON MORRIS! London quickly stopped stretching and grabbed her bags and started to run towards those people when she almost forgot about Denver. “Denver! Denver!” She hissed. He shook his head and cracked an eye open.
“What, I’m sleeping here!”
“I see people with our names on a sign!” Denver sat up.
“Where?” London pointed to the couple holding up the sign with their name on it.
“Well?” She asked. He knitted his eyebrows, wondering what to do.
“I guess that’s them. Let’s go.” But Denver wasn’t so sure. It could have been two robbers who sneaked up on their Aunt and Uncle and are pretending to be them and will kidnap them. Denver never thought straight. He always looked at the negatives first, and then he’d think about the positives, which would be after the situation cleared up. Denver struggled with his bags as his arm was killing him.
“You want me to take a few of those?” London asked. Denver shook his head and walked with London to the two couples.

When the couple saw the two children coming over there way, they smiled brightly at them. The woman handed the sign to her husband and took out a picture from her purse. The picture was a two year old girl and a four year old boy. It was Denver and London. Their mother and only sent one picture to their Aunt so she could at least see what her children looked like. The woman studied the picture and the two children standing right in front of them. She smiled, Yup, that’s them alright.
“Hi, are you-” The tall boy started to say.

“Aunt Talia and Uncle Ned. Yes, yes we are, and you both look exactly like you did 10 years ago.” Aunt Talia said in a British accent and showing the two children the picture of themselves.
“Um, that picture can’t tell if that’s us or not.” London told her.
“Nonsense! I have a gift you know. People from when they were young and now look very alike to me.” She said proudly. Denver and London exchanged looks. Their Aunt and Uncle gave them a huge hug.
“It’s wonderful to see you both. And we are very sorry for your lost.” Uncle Ned said with a British accent as well. The two adults were a strange couple. The man was in his early 40s and had rosy red checks and his cheek bones was showing. The man looked like a Ken doll that never stopped smiling, and he had white hair. He was a very fit man and healthy looking man.

His wife however, was a different story. She didn’t have a smile on her face at all. She looked like a Kernel from the military. Her white hair was in a bun and her face was in a shape of an egg. She wasn’t very attracting and would never be with that thing she was wearing called a “dress” with abstract work all over it. Denver stared at her, thinking, I’m going to be living with this person I have to call my “Aunt” for the rest of my life! Well, at least Uncle Ned looks nice.
“We are sorry we were late. Traffic was terrible! Well, let’s get you both to your new home. Oh dear, Talia, carry those bags, those dear children can’t hold it much longer.” Uncle Ned smiled as he took a few bags from each child and so did Aunt Talia, leaving the kids empty handed.
“Let’s go, chop, chop! Do you think we have all day, march?!” The kids quickly ran after the running adults heading outside in the rain.
“Oh great.” Both children mumbled as they were not dressed for the rainy weather. They all ran over to the oldest car in history. It was an old classical car that they used in many old movies like an Aston Martin DB5 driven by James Bond. The kids stared at the thing with shock. It was nothing like the Mercedes-Benz their father had just bought last month.
“We got this car especially for you when we scheduled your arrival.” Uncle Ned told them.
“Oh, you shouldn’t have.” And by shouldn’t have, London meat you really shouldn’t have, she didn’t really like that old thing that dared call itself a “car.”
“Nonsense, anything for my niece and nephew. Now let’s get in before we get soaked.”

A miracle that all the bags fit in that trunk of the small car, thought Denver. He laid back in his seat as he watched all of London’s view. It really was wonderful. London smiled as they saw the London Clock tower.
“A tower named after me in a city named after me. Now this is the life.” Denver rolled his eyes but Uncle Ned laughed.

“That’s very funny, London.”

When they arrived, the house was pretty nice. Nicer than the car anyway. It was a 2 story house and the bricks were completely black.
“Wow, this a very nice house.” Denver articulated.
“Thank you.” Uncle Ned and Aunt Talia quickly got the bags and opened the door. Before Denver could even take a look around, he was attacked by something soft and furry and fell down to the ground. Its slimy tongue licked Denver’s face.
“Cuddles, down, down girl!” Aunt Talia shouted. Denver didn’t mind. When he wiped the slobber off his face, he saw the cutest thing. There was a cute, white golden retriever. Denver smiled as the dog wouldn’t get off of him.
“Down, Cuddles.” Denver said, and the dog obeyed and sat down panting. Uncle Ned helped Denver up.
“Are you alright?”
“Yeah.” London kneeled down and started patting the dog.
“She is so cute!”
“I can see why you call her Cuddles.” Uncle Ned smiled and placed an arm around Denver.
“I really think you’re going to like it here. If Cuddles likes new guests, then you are very much welcomed here.” Uncle Ned and Aunt Talia led them both upstairs to a room with cobwebs covering the door. Uncle Ned blew it away and opened the door. It was pretty dark until the light switch was flickered on. There were two simple beds opposite each other, two drawers, two dresser and two closets. It was exactly a kind of room for the siblings to stay in.
“This is your room.” Aunt Talia said tossing the bags to the side. “Lunch is at 1400h sharp. Your late, not my problem.” Uncle Ned shot her a glare but she was out of sight. Uncle Ned sighed.
“Don’t think of Aunt Talia as a bad person. She’s very sweet once you get to know her. You both can unpack and take some time to settle in. You can rest or look around.”
“Um, don’t you have kids of your own?” London asked, because she would really like to meet new friends, since all her friends at school wouldn’t be knowing London there anymore, or the cheerleading team.
“No, that’s why we’re so glad you both are here with us.” He said patting their heads and left.
“She just tossed my bag to the side with my laptop in it!” Denver complained and opened a bag to check it. He took out his laptop and it was unharmed.
“Nerd.” London said under her breath. Both Denver and London helped each other unpack their clothes into the closet and drawers and their belongings away. They both took a shower and changed their clothes. “Do you want to rest?”
“Nah, I rather explore the house.” London smiled and both the children looked around the house.

London opened a door and there were clothes, a sewing machine and yarn everywhere.
“Next door.” She said and Denver opened the next door. It was filled with trophies, metals, and prizes. Both kids walked in and wandered around. There were pictures of Uncle Ned at track teams, swim meets, and tennis matches. Denver picked up a picture and stared at it. “Hey London, take a look at this.” London walked over and looked at the picture. It was a picture of Uncle Ned and Aunt Talia at their wedding. Their parents were also with them and smiling right at the camera. But there was something strange in the photo. One of the man in the photo was covered with a black marker. “Why would they cover this man up?”
“Unless there like enemies or something?” London guessed.
“Exactly. We’re going to find out who this is.”
“What, why?”
“Two reasons. One, I am not going to stay here in London and not have something to do and two, this is about our family we are talking about and we don’t know if this man is dangerous or not.” London thought about it. I could be James Bond for a day, thought London. A real adventure like the one I read in books. I’m definitely in! London nodded.
“Okay then.” Denver quietly placed the picture away and they both started heading out and closed the door behind them. Before they could head downstairs, Cuddles climbed up the stairs and jumped right on Denver.
“OFH!” Denver said falling to the ground as the dog licked his again. “What is it with that dog, she’s all over me!”
“Well no girl will be all over you, so a dog is as close enough you’ll ever get as a girlfriend.”
“Shut up.” Uncle Ned ran up the stairs and found Denver being licked by Cuddles again. Uncle Ned just laughed.
“Cuddles, let the poor boy go.” Cuddles sat down. London helped Denver up.
“I was right.” She whispered. Denver shot her a glance but he was interrupted by the pain in his right arm. He looked down at his arm cast.
“You okay?” Uncle Ned asked him.
“My arm really hurts.” Denver complained. It had been hurting ever since he got out of the hospital and stopped receiving pain killer medicine.
“Come on down, I’ll help with that.”

“Are you sure? Wouldn’t it be better to see a doctor?” Uncle Ned smiled at London.
“Sweetheart, I am a doctor. Now would you like to see some I.D.?” London giggled.
“No, go on ahead, Doctor Ned.” They all went downstairs and the two kids sat down on the couch while Uncle Ned ran up the stairs. He returned with mini power saw and a first-aid kit. Both London and Denver gasped.
“Calm down.” He sat down beside Denver and took the arm rest away from him and laid the boy’s arm on his lap. He started up the power saw and started cutting Denver’s cast. Both London and Denver looked away from looking at the cast coming off. Denver was the one with the most fear. He was afraid that the saw might actually plunge into his skin. “It’s not going to go through your skin, Denver. I think I’m smart enough to know a cast from skin.”
“Are you sure?” He managed to say.

When the cast was off, the arm was a sickly bluish color.
“I think that’s a bad sign.” London said with fear. “Denver’s skin is not blue!”
“It’s nothing. I can fix this up.” He took a spray out of the first-aid kit and sprayed it all over Denver’s arm. Then he placed a bandage wrap all around Denver’s arm, but not too tightly and placed a few fasteners. “The cast was just too tight. I think this should be better. Just change the bandages a few times and you’ll be fine. Does it hurt anymore?” Denver wiggled his finger and poked his arm.
“A okay doctor.” Uncle Ned smiled.
“Okay then, London, let’s see your wrist.” London held out her wrist and Uncle Ned unwrapped the bandages. He saw a purplish bruise but wasn’t worried. He applied some antibiotic on the bruise and rubbed it in. He then applied the bandage wrap and the fastener. “There, how’s that?”
“Great!”
“Thank you.”

“No problem.”

The three of them played a few board games to pass the time. They all laughed and enjoyed themselves. Denver and London completely forgot about their parents for the time being.
“It’s 1300h, in the kitchen or not food!” Aunt Talia yelled. Uncle Ned just chuckled.
“Don’t worry, she never means it. She just like’s kidding around.” He said and led the two of them to the kitchen. Aunt Talia placed lunch on the wooden dining tables and smiled at the two children.
“Well aren’t we looking better? Sit down and enjoy.” Everybody sat down and ate their pizzas in silent. That was until Uncle Ned broke that silent and stretched his cheese out so much and made a mustache out of it.
“Am I good looking now?” London and Denver laughed.
“Yes you are, but you’re missing something.” London said and looked around the table. She took a piece of lettuce and stuck it on the bottom of Uncle Ned’s chin.
“Perfect!” Denver and Uncle Ned cheered. Everybody was enjoying the joke. Everyone except Aunt Talia.
“Now Ned, food is on the table to be eaten, not to play around.”
“Lighten up Talia. I’d like to make these kids laugh. Too bad I can’t make you laugh because you ain’t got a sense of humor.” All three of the jokers laughed.
“I too have humor in me, watch!” She took a cucumber and balanced it on her nose. “See?” Everybody looked away and chuckled. Aunt Talia was getting annoyed with this game. She took the cucumber and threw it in the garbage. “Anyway kids, I’m going to get some groceries and I’d love it if you’d two would like to come. I’d like to introduce you to some of my friends.”
“That would be great! Right Denver?”
“Yeah.” Denver said. Aunt Talia smiled.
“Wonderful. Ned, would you like to come?”
“Um, no, I have some forms to fill out, but enjoy your shopping trip.” He said and fled from the table.
“Um, what was that about?” London asked.
“Oh, um…nothing.” Aunt Talia said playing with her salad. “You kids done?” Before they could even answer, Aunt Talia got up. “Okay then, let’s go! Grab a jacket and let’s scadoodle!” The kids exchanged looks. They couldn’t believe that Aunt Talia was bringing back, scadoodle, but knew better than to disobey Aunt Talia and quickly grabbed their jackets and got in the car.

Connie Greenwell was angry. Actually, frustrated was the right word. She was at a cheap store with her Dad. A billionaire shouldn’t be shopping at a cheap store! Thought Connie. And the billionaire’s daughter shouldn’t be in here either!
“Dad, why are we here? Can’t you order some fresh tomatoes from a farm or something?”
“Sweetheart, these tomatoes are grown so perfectly that you can’t imagine how much I love them!” I know how much you love them, you’ve turned into a tomato! Connie yelled in her mind. She looked at her Dad. He was a really fat old guy with black hair, a beard and a mustache. His pants and shirt were an inch from ripping and his daughter was angry at her mother, who was a beautiful young lady and a supermodel, for marrying this person Connie was forced to call her “father.” Connie compared herself to her Dad. She was like any other 14 year old, but prettier and better. She was rich and pretty. Her long blonde hair was in front of her and her spring dress was made by a designer in Paris. She was perfect in every way.
“Daddy, you better hurry up because I am losing my patients.”
“Yes Princess, just give me a few minutes.” Which was an hour for Connie’s father. Connie stomped in frustration. She was a good person, so when would a person notice it? Then a group of three opened the door, ringing the doorbell on the door. A woman with white hair in a bun and a straight face with two children. One girl and a boy. Connie stared at the boy. He had black hair and brown eyes like the girl on the right, but he looked perfect. He was the exact guy Connie dreamed of.
“Daddy, who is that boy?” Connie asked pointing to the teenager. Her father looked up but then back at his tomatoes.
“I don’t know.” Connie was growing angry now.
“Listen to me, you are a billionaire and must know everybody in London! Now when I say I want to know who this boy is, I want to know!” Connie was a spoiled little brat. She got it from her mother who only married this disgusting husband for his money.
“Okay Princess, I’ll find out.” The fat man looked around and spotted someone. He took one of the workers who was placing prices on cans with his pricing gun. “Listen you, I need you to go find out who those people are.” He said pointing at the group of 3 walking around. The two children were laughing and talking about something while the woman was looking at which canned beans to buy.
“Alright.” The man said, dropping his pricing gun and headed towards the group of three. The man walked over to the woman who started talking to him immediately. But when the man asked a question, the woman frowned. She told the kids something, they nodded and started walking around the store. The man and the woman started having a conversation.
Then after a few minutes, the woman turned back to shopping and the man ran over to Mr. Greg Greenwell. “The woman said that the two kids are her niece and nephew from America. Their parents just had a car accident a week ago and the kids were in it too. They have nobody else to stay with so they are now living with the woman, who is their mother’s sister and her husband. The girls name is London Morris and the boy’s name is Denver Morris.”
“Denver Morris, what an interesting name.” Connie thought. “Thank you Daddy.” Said Connie trying to sound innocent.
“You’re welcome, Pumpkin.” And he returned back to looking at the tomatoes. “Thought I don’t know why you are so interested in these people. They’re from America, but not so famous enough to be interested in them.” But Connie wasn’t listening. She combed her hair with her fingers and straightened her dress. She had a plan and it was bound to work. She peaked at where the Morris’s were walking towards. She stood behind that aisle shelf and waited for her cue.
“No London, I don’t think dogs like pickles.” Connie loved the boy’s American accent. It was just perfect.
“Why not?” The girl said in an American accent too.
“Because pickles are nasty!”
“Say’s you!”
“Say’s everyone!”
“But pickles are wonderful! They are like the grouchy cousins of cucumbers! I’m sure Cuddle’s would agree with me.”
“And you say I’m the weirdo.” He said, blowing a strand of hair away from his eyes. They were very near now. So, Connie jumped out of nowhere and bumped into the boy, causing both of them to fall in the ground hard. Denver rubbed his head in pain. “Ow.” London kneeled next to him.
“Are you okay?” She asked him with concern, because he already had a concussion before and nobody was in the mood to see some blood. Denver blinked the black spots away from his eyes.
“I think so.” London helped him up. They both stared at the girl who looked like she was dead, but was really pretending. “Are you okay?” Denver asked the girl. The girl pretended to open her eyes dramatically.
“A-am I dead?”

“Oh brother.” London said rolling her eyes. But Denver ignored her. He helped the girl up with one arm.
“Sorry about bumping into you.” Denver said.
“No, it was my fault.” The girl confessed.
“Yeah, clearly.” London snorted.
“London!” Denver hissed. Then turned towards the girl with a kind smile. “Hi, I’m-”
“Wait, let me guess, your Denver and London Morris and your both from America?” The two kids stared at the girl.
“How’d you know that?” London asked.
“I’m the daughter of the billionaire who owns part of London. I know everything.” She said in a very fluid British accent.
“Cool.” Denver said. Connie’s mind went off like a bomb. Just cool? Nothing else? Usually people say how cool it is and how they’d love to be my friend and he’s just saying cool like I’m a book? Connie looked at Denver’s arm which was wrapped in bandages and London’s wrist which was also wrapped in bandages.
“Um, what happened?” Both of them quickly hid their bandages in their jacket sleeves.
“Nothing.” Both of them said at once. The car accident, was the first answer that came up in Connie’s mind and thought it might be better not to ask of her chances with Denver was over.
“Denver, London, time to go!” Aunt Talia yelled.
“Well better go. It was nice to meet you, um…”
“Connie, Connie Greenwell.”
“Connie, maybe we’ll see each other later.” Denver said. Connie nodded.
“Bye and welcome to London.”
“Thanks.” The kids said and ran to the woman. They all opened the door and left. Connie gave a smile.
“Oh I’ll see you soon, Denver. I will.” Connie said to herself.
“Connie, are you ready to go?” Her father said.
“Yes Daddy, let’s go.” She said walking over to her Dad.

* * *

The kids were thrilled that they made a new friend on the first day here.
“That girl seemed nice.” Denver said.
“Yeah, to you mostly.” London said giggling.
“Huh?”
“Dude, she was all over you. That whole thing was an act!”
“Sure it was.” London was going to explain Denver, but she thought it was hopeless, and she gave up.
“Whatever.”
When they got home, Uncle Ned was on the couch arranging a game of chess. He smiled when we saw the kids.
“Hello, did you have fun?”
“Well, we bought canned beans for you if that’s what you mean.” Aunt Talia said placing her sweater on a hanger and into the closet.
“It was fun.” Denver said, patting Cuddles head as she ran up to him.
“Yup.” London agreed.
“Who wants to play chess?”
“Not me, I hate chess. It’s a nerdy game, but Denver would love to. He’s the biggest American nerd I know!” Denver glared at London. “What, it’s a compliment!”
“Want to play, Denver?” Uncle Ned asked.
“Um, sure.” Denver sat next to Uncle Ned and they both started playing. Aunt Talia leaned over to London.
“They’ll be at it for a while, would you like to help me set up dinner?”
“I’d love to.” The two of them went in the kitchen and started talking as they chopped up vegetables. “I have one question.” London acknowledged.

“Yes?”
“How come you haven’t been to any family event? I mean you never came to visit us or came to our parent’s weddings, why?”
“Well London. I love both your parents and Denver and you, but I haven’t been able to save enough money for plane tickets. Plus your mother and I had had an argument before her wedding and both of you were born.” She said throwing scraps of food at Cuddles as she did tricks.
“What was it about?” Aunt Talia bit her lip.
“Um you know, just sisterly stuff.”
“But it had to be something very big if you didn’t even come to meet us!” London protested.
“Salad’s done!” Aunt Talia said quickly and placed all cut vegetables and washed them up. Okay then, London thought. That’s the end of that conversation. “So,” Aunt Talia said eagerly to change the subject. “How old are you and Denver?”
“I’m going to turn 13 tomorrow.”
“That’s wonderful!”
“And Denver’s going to turn 15 tomorrow too.” Aunt Talia looked up.
“Your birthdays on the same day?” London nodded.
“Denver did not like me as a present.” Aunt Talia laughed. When she was frowning, she looked bitter and mean. But when she laughed, she looked like a very kind person. Almost human.

Aunt Talia and London quickly finished making dinner and went outside to check on Denver and Uncle Ned. Uncle Ned had his fingers on his temple as he tried to think of where to make his move. He carefully moved a piece. Then Denver moved his piece next.
“Check mate.”
“Huh? Well I’ll be darned! I’ve been beaten by a 14 year old boy, twice!”
“And you say you’re a great chess player.” Aunt Talia claimed. Denver just smiled with pleasure. Before they could place the pieces back, Cuddles knocked over the game.
“I guess we’re not going to play another game.” Denver said.
“Guess not.” Uncle Ned agreed. He checked the daisy clock on the wall. “Tell you what, after dinner how about we watch a horror movie?”
“Don’t let it be too frightening or London will have nightmares.” Denver chuckled.
“And don’t let it be too sad either or Denver will cry.” London giggled.
“Okay you two. I’ve got a perfect movie that’s not too scary and not too sad.” They all looked at Aunt Talia.
“Can we?” They all asked her. Aunt Talia would have never allowed a movie to be watched in her house, especially a scary movie, but when she looked at the kids, she could see everything about them that they are trying to keep. They’ve been through so much and they deserve to be happy. Aunt Talia pretended to sigh.
“I guess.”
“Yes!” Everybody cheered. Aunt Talia smiled. Even her husband looked happy. They didn’t have any children of their own, but her husband thought of Denver and London as his own already.
“Okay come on, dinners ready.” All of them walked over to the kitchen and sat down to eat. Everybody ate their food in silent, so did the dog. “So, I hear that it’s both your birthdays tomorrow.” Denver almost chocked on his water.
“Are you okay?” London asked. That question caught Denver off guard.
“Um, yeah. I just forgot it was tomorrow.” He said.
“How could you forget your birthday?” That’s when it hit London that maybe he didn’t forget his birthday but wanted to. He doesn’t want to celebrate his birthday without Mom and Dad! London thought. “Oh.”
“So what kind of cake would you like?” Uncle Ned asked.
“Oh you don’t have to celebrate our birthday, it’s not a big deal.” Denver declared.
“Birthdays are always a big deal.” Aunt Talia said.
“Oh come on Denver. I know it’s your first birthday without…your parents…but it’ll be fun. Come on.” Uncle Ned told him. Denver thought about it. He didn’t want to celebrate his birthday without his parents. But of course it was also London’s birthday and she would be upset if he didn’t enjoy his birthday. And who knows, it might be fun. Denver gave them all a smile.
“Alright.” Uncle Ned patted Denver’s head.
“Wonderful! Now what kind of cake would you like?” The two kids thought about it.
“Chocolate!” They both claimed.
“That’s my favorite too! We’re going to get along wonderfully.” Uncle Ned reviled. The kids looked at each other and smiled. They knew that they were going to enjoy it here with their Aunt and Uncle.

When they were done with their dinner, all of them changed into their pajamas and sat on the couch and enjoyed the horror movie and ate popcorn. At times, someone would yell in terror and spill popcorn everywhere, and at times, everybody would laugh at a funny part. Aunt Talia covered her eyes with Cuddles body as one of the man was about to stab a girl.
“Why would they make these kinds of movies?!” She declared.
“Aunt Talia, it’s only a movie.” Denver reassured her.
“A movie to give someone a heart attack!” She protested. When the movie was finally over, Uncle Ned flipped the light on.
“Okay you birthday kids, let’s hit the hay!” Denver looked at the clock. It was midnight.
“Wow, time passes quickly when you’re having fun.”
“It sure does.” Uncle Ned said. The kids go up and said their goodnights. The couple smiled as the children and the dog climbed up the stairs and went into their new room.
“You really like them, don’t you?” Aunt Talia asked.

“What’s not to like about them?” Uncle Ned responded. “I’m going to make them happy as long as they are with us.” Aunt Talia smiled that her husband, for the first time, he loved something else other than her. She almost felt like they were one big happy family.
“Okay Ned, let’s go. I’ve had enough excitement for one day.”
“You better get used to it.” Uncle Ned laughed. They both went up the stairs and it to their rooms and fell asleep in second.

London was busy combing her hair. She could never sleep knowing her hair was a mess.
“London,” Denver said with sleep in his voice. “Close the lights and go to sleep already.”
“One more minute.” She said, looking in the mirror and saw at her brother, who was bound to fall asleep with the lights on. “So, how do you like Uncle Ned and Aunt Talia?” Denver let Cuddles climb on his bed.
“I think,” He paused for a yawn. “They’re great and I love it here.” Wow, London thought. I haven’t seen him this happy in a whole week.
“So what do you want to do tomor-” London saw her brother’s arm hanging from the bed and his eyes were closed. Cuddles was cuddled on top of him. Guess he was tired. London placed the comb down on the dresser and placed a blanket over Denver. “Good night, Denver.” She whispered. She closed the lights and laid on her bed.
“Life for London is great in London.” London mumbled to herself as she fell asleep.

When London woke up the next morning, she felt better than ever. She felt like she slept on a fluffy cloud and drifted to sleep on it. She got up and stretched. She looked at the clock on the wall, 3:00. It was three in the afternoon, no wonder she felt so rested. She looked over at Denver who was fast asleep. She got up and looked in her closet for the right clothes to wear on her birthday. She changed into a plain white dress and a sweater. She brushed her hair and walked downstairs. She heard Aunt Talia in the kitchen. Where was Uncle Ned? She thought. London walked towards the loud banging noise that was coming from outside. She opened the door, but Uncle Ned wasn’t there. She opened the gate to the backyard and found Uncle Ned building something. A swing set!
“Happy birthday, London.” Uncle Ned said not looking up. “Guess the cats out of the bag, as you Americans say it.”
“Good morning, Uncle Ned. What’s this?” He stood up to admire his work.
“What do you think, a nice birthday present for you and your brother?”
“It’s wonderful! Denver and I are suckers for swings! Thank you so much!” London said hugging Uncle Ned.
“You are very welcome. Want to have a swinging challenge?”
“You’re on!” So they both swung on the swings as they tried to see who went up the highest. “So, Aunt Talia was okay with this?” London asked.
“At first, no. But then she through it wouldn’t be so bad, but she’s going to make me do more chorus around the house.” Uncle Ned chuckled.
“Well, Denver and I will help.” Uncle Ned smiled. DING DONG! Uncle Ned got off the swings and went to the front porch to see who it was. He walked back to London.
“London, there’s a girl here to see you.”
“Okay.” Uncle Ned went inside while the girl came around back. It was Connie.
“Hi London.”
“Hi Connie.” London said. She gestured Connie to come sit on one of the swings.
“Oh no thank you. This dress is handmade by a Switzerland designer, and it’s one of a kind. Messing this up would be like not polishing your diamonds every week. And believe me, it is not pretty.” London rolled her eyes and placed her sweater on the swing next to her.
“Sit down.” Connie sat down with delight and both girls started swinging.
“So, where’s Denver?”
“Asleep.” Connie raised a brow.
“He’s still asleep, it’s 1500h?”
“Well we’re still adjusting to London and American times. Right now in America, it’s about 11:00 in the morning.”
“Ah, that’s explains it.” Connie knew that if she left, it would seem rude, so she started thinking of a conversation. “So, um…how old are you and Denver?”
“I’m 13 today and Denver’s 15 today too.”
“It’s both your birthday? Happy birthday!”
“Thanks, but I don’t think it’s so happy.” London said quietly. Connie saw the sadness in London’s eyes. Of course! It was the first time they were celebrating their birthday without their parents, no wonder London didn’t seem so glad. Connie thought to herself.
“I’m really sorry for both of your lost. It must be so hard.” Connie said softly. London didn’t respond and kept on swinging. She didn’t like making a scene but this girl’s voice was just so soothing, it made her want to cry. “Can you tell me what happened?” For a while, it seemed as if London forgot about the question. She gave a huge sigh and started talking.
“It was August 1st. We were taking a family vacation and I won the decision of picking where, so I choose the carnival.” London smiled as she remembered the face Denver made when London won the coin toss.
“Let me guess, Denver didn’t like the idea?” Connie said. London nodded.
“He thought carnivals were for little kids. Anyway, Denver was reaching for a sweater from behind and he yelled that he saw a car coming in speed. The car zoomed by so fast, it almost hit us. That’s when the car drove out of control and the car hit a street light.” London stopped to steady her breath.
“It’s okay, take your time.” Connie said soothingly.
“T-then…the street light crushed my parents.” She said closing her eyes and letting a few tears go.
“What about you and Denver?”
“I was fine, but Denver was on the floor, bleeding and his arm looked terrible. I called 911 and we went to the hospital. When we got there, the doctor told me that…my parents were…” Her voice trailed off.
“I understand, go on.”
“I was horrified. Both my parents were gone. But the good news was that Denver was alright. I can’t tell you in words the relief I felt when I heard Denver was okay. But also the terror that my parents were dead.”
“How did Denver take the news?” Connie asked. London wiped a tear away from her check.
“He’s a very sensitive person. Telling Denver the news was like telling a child his puppy had died. He took it pretty hard. I knew he’d never be the same. So then, we got a letter in the mail saying that our mother’s sister, Aunt Talia and her husband, Uncle Ned, were willing to take us into their care. I thought it was sweet. Denver was so happy yesterday, it was almost like a miracle.” London expressed.
“Well, I feel very happy for you both.” London smiled at Connie.
“Thanks. You know, I thought rich people are stuck ups, but you’re okay, Connie.”
“Thanks…I think.” London chuckled.
“It was a compliment.”
“Oh. Anyway I’ve got to go. But how about later I take you both somewhere nice and I can buy you both a birthday gift.”
“Oh no, you don’t have to do that.”
“I know, but I insist. Plus how cool would it be to hang out with two Americans!”
“How cool would it to hang out with a British!” Both girls laughed.
“Being a British is common here. But I think people will be fond of your American accents. Well, happy birthday, I’ll meet with both of you later.”
“Bye Connie, and thanks.”
“For what?”
“It was nice to express my feelings with someone. If I told Denver that, he’d just be floating in a pool filled with tears.” Connie smiled.
“I’m here all the time. I’ll stop by your house at 1600h.” Connie got up and went out the door. But Connie wasn’t really trying to be nice to London and she could care less if she was an American. But of course to get to Denver, she had to take care of the sister. And now, she had done it!

London started swinging on her own, smiling that she had made a very nice friend. Little did she know that Connie was actually being an evil little brat and only using her to get to Denver!

Meanwhile, Denver was busy getting ready. He woke up to the pain in his arm. He groaned as he got up. When he saw himself in the mirror, he almost thought a robber was behind him. His hair was sticking up and he had dried drool on the corner on his mouth. His eyes were bloodshot red and he almost looked like a different person.

He quickly changed into black jeans, a black button down shirt and a gray vest. He found one of his Dad’s special ties that he only wore on important events. Denver thought if he placed it on, he’d feel Dad was still with him. The tie was black and had gray strips on it. His Dad always thought strips had a good luck charm on them. Whenever they went shopping and their Dad saw something with strips, he’d say, “Nothing is better than strips and its lucky powers!” As he ran over to the ties. Of course their mother would just roll her eyes and say, “Sweetheart, you have enough ties.” Then their father would say, “Carolina, you can never have enough luck!”
Denver smiled as he played back the conversation in his mind as he placed on the tie. He brushed his brown hair to the front and laced up his black Nikes and headed downstairs.
“WOOF!” Cuddles barked.
“Yes girl, come on.” Cuddles followed Denver downstairs. Uncle Ned was in the kitchen with Aunt Talia. She was frosting the cake with chocolate icing. Denver stepped into the kitchen and the two adults looked up and smiled.
“Well, are we going to an interview?” Uncle Ned joked. Denver smiled. Uncle Ned went up and hugged him. ”Happy birthday Denver.”
“Thanks.” Aunt Talia ruffled his hair.
“Did you get taller?” Aunt Talia joked.
“Taller than you.” Uncle Ned joked. Both Denver and he laughed. It was true that Aunt Talia was also a very short person. She was maybe 4 ½ foot, maximum. “Denver, I have a surprise for you. Come on outside.” Uncle Ned led Denver to the backyard, where London was swinging on the swing set. “TA-DA!” Uncle Ned shouted. Denver looked at the swing set in shock.
“You made that on your own?”
“Yup. I thought it would be a nice present. You like it?”
“Like it, I love it! Thank you!” Denver said hugging Uncle Ned.
“You’re welcome, now go show your sister that boys can swing higher than girls.”
“I doubt it!” London snorted. “Plus what up with the get up, are you going to work?” Denver blushed.
“Okay how about this, whoever swings the highest, gets an extra slice of cake?” Uncle Ned suggested.
“Sure.” They both said. Uncle Ned leaned on the door and watched as both siblings tried to swing as high as they could. Aunt Talia came outside and stood next to her husband.
“They are nice kids.” Aunt Talia said.
“And are very competitive about cake.” Uncle Ned added. He looked at the two on them smiling and laughing to see who could swing the highest. “Okay we have a winner!” Both kids stopped to hear the results. “It’s a tie!”
“Aww!”
“So that means you both get an extra slice of cake!” Denver and London smiled at each other.
“Race you to the kitchen.” Denver said challenging London.
“Bring it on, brother!” Both kids ran to the kitchen and quickly sat down on the chair. The adults just shook their heads and walked to their new family.
“I won!”
“Did not!”
“Did too!” Aunt Talia placed down the cake in front of them and lit up the candles. 13 of them were pink while the other 15 were blue.
“Okay you two, make a wish.”
“Wait, why are there 28 candles, we’re not 28?” London asked.
“Add up our ages. Too bad you’re not smart in math, London.” Denver claimed.
“Too bad you’re lousy at getting girls, Denver.” Denver sneered at her.
“Come on you two, just make a wish before your cake gets covered with wax.” Uncle Ned told them. The kids finally stopped arguing to think about their wish. They through of the same wish and hoped for it to come true. For this. A real family like they had before. They blew out the candles in one blow.
“Finally.” Both adults whispered. They took the cake away and gave each of them two slices. They all sat down and enjoyed the cake.
“So, what would you two like to do today?” Aunt Talia asked.
“We have plans.” London responded. Denver quickly swallowed his cake so he could speak.
“London, I barely know the streets in London.” He smiled that he made a joke in that sentence.
“I mean Connie’s going to take us around.”
“Oh.”
“Who’s Connie?” Both adults asked.
“Connie Greenwell? She’s the billionaire’s daughter. We met her at the grocery store, thought I don’t know why she was shopping there.” When London stopped talking, both adults spat out their cakes and it landed right on the kid’s faces. Both kids looked at each other and smiled.
“Is that normal around here in London?” Denver chuckled, grabbing a napkin and whipping the cake off his face. “Because I could do it to London and not get in trouble if it were a tradition.” He said hopefully. London ignored him.
“Is something wrong?” London asked, also wiping her face. Aunt Talia and Uncle Ned just stared at each other. Then they both shook it off because the kids were starting to stare.
“Um, sorry about the cake thing, but wouldn’t you rather hang out with us?” Aunt Talia asked. Denver reluctantly placed his fork down and looked at the two adults.
“What’s wrong?” He said flatly. Calmly, yet with power to make people tell Denver what was on his mind. He focused his brown eyes at the adults as they bit their lips.
“Pshw, why would you think something is wrong?” Uncle Ned said, putting in a few fake laughs.
“Because Mom always did that.” London said softly.
“She would try to change the subject because something annoyed her when we asked or told her something.” Denver added. Uncle Ned was about to tell them, but Aunt Talia quickly interrupted.
“It’s nothing. We just didn’t have time to…bond, yes, bond.”
“Bond?” Both kids asked.
“Yeah, bond.” Uncle Ned said.
“Don’t you have a meeting at 1600h?” Denver asked. They stared at him with their eyes bugging out.
“How did you know that?” Denver pointed to the fridge where a pink post-it was stuck on there and read, MEETING AT 1600h SHARP. “Oh.” Both adults said. Denver rubbed Cuddles head, who was licking his hand under the table.
“Connie’s really nice, you have nothing to worry about, we’ll be fine.” Denver reassured them. Aunt Talia walked away from the kitchen and came back with a cell phone and a key and tossed it to Denver.
“Alright, but you have to keep the cell phone on at all times and call us if there is an emergency!” Denver and London looked at each other, then at the two adults who had fear all over there face.
“Is something wrong that you don’t want us to go?” London asked.
“N-no, why would you think that sweetheart?” Uncle Ned said, sweating like crazy.
“No reason.” She whispered, taking a bite out of her cake.
“We better be going, it’s a long drive.” Uncle Ned and Aunt Talia got up but stopped before they left. “If something is wrong, call us and don’t be out for more than a few hours.”
“We promise.” Denver and London said. Both adults looked at the kids for a moment then smiled and left. London stared at Denver with a surprised face.
“What was that about?”
“I have no clue, but it was strange.” Denver declared.
“Strange, Denver that was beyond strange! Nobody would spit out cake just for no reason!” Denver smiled.
“You’ve still got some cake on your nose.” He said handing her a napkin and she wiped in off.
“Whatever, let’s just get ready, Connie will be here in a few minutes.” Both of them ran up to their rooms and made themselves presentable for a billionaire. “I think you better look extra nice.”
“Why?”
“Cause Connie loves you!” Denver groaned but straightened his tie. DING DONG! London was the one to run downstairs while Denver brushed the cake out of his hair.

* * *

Connie quickly made her hair better and straightened her hairband. Even though a billionaire didn’t have to look so nice for a bunch of simple people, Denver was not just simple, he was perfect! She gave her brightest fake smile as London opened the door. “Hi Connie.”
“Hi London, don’t tell me Denver’s still asleep.”
“No, and guess what?”
“What?”
“He likes you!” London lied. Connie’s eyes bugged out.
“Really?” Connie’s mind started to melt like goop.
“Of course, I mean what’s not to like about you.” Well, that’s true, Connie thought.
“Is my dress fine?”
“It’s perfect.” Denver walked down the stairs and walked towards the door.
“Hi Connie.”
“Hi Denver. Happy birthday.”
“Thanks.” He placed the phone in his pocket. London pushed them both out.
“Come on, let’s go.” Denver locked the door behind him.
“Where exactly are we going?”
“Somewhere.” Both girls said giggling. Denver just signed and said,
“Girls.” Both girls led him down and Connie led them both to a white limo.
“Get in.” The driver opened the door and Denver, London and Connie slid in and the driver closed the door behind them. He quickly got in the car.
“Where to?”
“My parent’s house. I think I left something.” She turned towards the Morris’s kids. “You both don’t mind, do you?”
“Not at all.” Denver said. Both London and Denver looked out the window and stared at the magnificent view of England’s largest city. Connie started telling them everything they were passing from streets to malls.

Finally, the limo stopped at a white mansion. It was so big, that if a person from space looked down, they could actually see Connie’s house! The driver opened the door and they all got out.
“Wow.” Denver and London both said.
“This is my house.” Connie led them up and opened the huge marble doors. The hallway alone looked like a huge room. Connie led them to the biggest room of all, the family room. An odd name for a room where the family spent absolutely no time with each other. A fat man with jet black hair and a beard and a mustache sat on a chair, eating a Twinkie. If he ate one more Twinkie, all the buttons on his clothes would fly out and poke someone right in the eye. On the couch, sat a lovely woman with blonde hair and flawless skin. Her res dress was up to her knees and she sat there, smiling into her reflection in her tiny mirror. She was exactly like her daughter, Connie. “Mother, father.” Connie said. Her father looked up and stuffed the Twinkie in his mouth, while her mother placed her mirror down and smiled with her perfect white teeth and red lipstick.

“Hello Connie, who is this?” Connie’s mother said in a perfect British accent.
“Mother, father, this is Denver and London Morris. They’re from America.” The woman got up and smiled at the children with delight.
“Well, aren’t they a charming bunch?” The boy extended his hand and the woman shook it warmly.
“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Greenwell.” She pinched his checks.
“What a wonderful American accent. What a cute boy, and please, call me Karen.” She shook the girls hand next.
“It’s nice to meet you.” She pinched both her checks.
“You both are so polite! And your name is just lovely, London, what a marvelous name for such a marvelous girl!” The man walked up and wiped the Twinkie crumbs from his face. He studied the boy. He looked pretty skinny for his age but pretty tall. His sister looked the same, skinny but tall. They had brown eyes and black hair. The boy had a bandage wrap around his right arm and the girl’s wrist was also wrapped with a bandage. They both were dressed nicely and looked lovely, but Connie’s Dad could see something in both the children’s eyes. Sadness. The man studied the boy first.
“Your names Denver?” The boy nodded. “What kind of name is Denver?”
“A city.” He answered.
“Have you ever been to Denver?” The boy looked at the man confused.
“Um, no.”
“Well that’s a pity.” Then he looked over at the girl. “London, that’s also a city name. What were your parent’s names?”
“Carolina and Austin.” The girl responded.
“Hmm, figures.”
“Greg, shut up! You are such a grouch!” The woman yelled. She looked over at the kids with a nice big smile. “Come on and sit down.”
“We’re about to go, Mom. I just have to get something from my room.”
“Take your time, sweetheart.” Connie winked at her friends and ran up the stairs. Karen placed a hand on each of the kid’s shoulders. “Come on and sit down.” So they did. The man just stared at the children and the woman couldn’t stop smiling at them.
“So, Karen, what do you and your husband do?” London asked, because all of this attention was starting to creep her out.
“I’m so glad you ask. I am a model here in London. Sometimes I travel around to other countries. My husband here, is a scientist. He invents and creates things.”
“That’s very interesting.” Denver said looking at the man. He frowned.
“Really?”
“Denver is a nerd. He likes anything that had work in it.” Karen laughed at London’s joke.
“She is just too funny!”
“So, Denver, what would you say to a tour of my lab?”
“I’d say, that would be great.” He smiled.
“I’ve never had someone appreciate my work before. Connie and my wife just think it’s gross.”
“It is, Greg. London, let me show you around.” So the two children were taken by one adult and went their separate ways. Connie’s Dad led Denver to a room where it was covered entirely of glass. It looked exactly like a laboratory. People were in lab coats and wearing goggles, experimenting many different things from animals to people. Connie’s Dad placed a pair of goggles over Denver’s eyes and his.
“It’s better to be safe-”

“Then sorry?” Denver said completing the sentence. The man placed his meaty arm around the skinny boy’s neck, which almost crushed him.
“Exactly. I’m starting to like you, Denver. You’re very interesting.”
“Thank you, sir.” The man led the boy around and showed him everything there was to see in the room. He showed him the new medicines he was making and the cures for diseases he was making.
“As you can see, I am saving the world here by creating all these medicines.”
“But you also need test dummies.” Denver said softly. “So they could be in risk for whatever you are giving them.”
“Well yes, young man, but science requires sacrifices.” He faced the boy. “Think of it this way, we are putting a person in risk to help millions of other people.” Denver though about it. It did seem reasonable, but still wrong. But he couldn’t say that to a billionaire.
“That’s true.” The man smiled.
“That’s the spirit!” He led him to one of the inventions at work. “This medicine we are creating can help with depression.”
“Don’t they already have that?” He laughed.
“Yes, but not like this. See, this medicine doesn’t just stay in your body for a few days and just makes you sad again, no, this medicine stays inside of you, forever. It will always make you happy!”
“But sir, you can’t actually not make someone feel upsetting emotions like anger, sadness, or frustration. That could cause severe brain damage. Maybe it could make them childish, or make them loss their balance, or paralyze them. Even the neurons could be affected!”
“We are working on that. But at last, nobody wants to test it out as it can be very risky. This medicine could be like a tornado swirling inside of your body, doing who knows what to your body and we can’t find out. We’ve figured out that the risks could be maybe a high or low fever, a few childish behaviors and that could lead to death. We aren’t sure though.” He looked over at the boy. “Would you like to test it out?” Denver took a few steps back.
“N-not to be rude sir, but I don’t think my Aunt and Uncle would agree with that.”
“I understand. Well, let’s go.” Denver and the man took off their goggles and left the lab. On their way out, the man thought he should make a conversation. “I hear that your parents died in a car accident.” He said loudly. Denver just frowned and nodded. “And you’re living with your Aunt and Uncle because you have no other place to stay?” The man said, almost sounding like he was teasing the boy.
“Y-yes.” Denver responded like the subject gave him chills. Greg Greenwell saw an opportunity shining right next to him. And literally, right next to him. The boy, Denver Morris. He had sadness all over him. His expression was sad, his eyes were filed with it, and he could actually be the right person. He could be the right person to try out his new medicine! The man smiled. But wait, he thought to himself. The boy would never agree to take the medicine. But, said a voice in his mind. You don’t have to tell him, you can just sneak it in him at night and he’ll never know!
“Ha-ha!” The man said, but covered his mouth when he said it out too loud.
“What was that?”
“Nothing.” The man said. Nothing at all but a perfect opportunity for success and money. He said to himself.

When they went back to the family room, London, Connie and Karen Greenwell were all talking amongst themselves. Karen looked up.
“Finally. Greg, what were you doing?”
“Nothing.” Connie and London got up.
“Ready to go?” Connie asked. Denver nodded.
“Where are you going?” Karen asked.
“The mall, it’s both their birthdays.”
“Oh, how wonderful!” She pinched both Denver and London’s checks harder. “Happy birthday to the both of you!”
“Thank you.” They both said.
“It’s was great to meet both of you, we hope you can visit again.” The man said, looking directly at Denver.
“That would be great.” London said. Connie led them outside. The man smiled as the boy walked outside. He was like a walking money bag for Mr. Greenwell.
* * *
“I think I need a check transplant.” Denver complained.
“I know right.” London agreed.
“Sorry, I never knew my parents were that friendly?” Connie checked her watch and sighed with despair. “Uh-oh. The mall I wanted to take you both closes early today because it’s a Sunday and it’s pretty far away. I’m sorry.”
“That’s alright.”
“But I haven’t even given you both a proper gift?”
“Connie, gifts aren’t very important.” London told her.
“Yeah. Being your friend was a real honor and that was enough.” Connie smiled them.
“Really?”
“Of course!”
“Okay then. But what about a tour of London?”
“That sounds perfect, thank you.” Connie smiled at Denver and led them both back to the limo.
“Driver, take us around town.” He nodded and started driving. Connie started telling them everything they were passing from streets to malls. They all waved to a man covered entirely in gold and silver. Denver, London and Connie smiled as the tour around London was magnificent. Connie smiled as Denver looked out the window with awe. He was a very sweet guy, and of course, he’d be mine soon. Connie said in her mind.

When Connie’s driver arrived at Denver and London’s new home, the driver opened the door as the two kids got off and closed the door. Connie rolled down her window.
“Thanks Connie, for everything.” Denver said smiling.
“Anything for my friends. Happy birthday.”
“Thanks.” And the limo left. They had only been gone for about 2 hours. The sun was already setting. Denver took out his key and opened the door. When they went in, their Aunt and Uncle were sitting by the staircases. When they saw the kids, they quickly ran over to them, examining them.
“Are you alright?”
“Did you eat anything?”
“Are you feeling different?”
“Do you feel sick?” The kids looked at each other. What was going on? They both wondered.
“Yes, no, no, and no.” Denver said answering all their questions. They both sighed with relief.
“Good.”
“Is something wrong?” London asked again.
“Nope, nothing is wrong.” Aunt Talia said quickly. Uncle Ned placed an arm around both the kids.
“Why don’t we prepare dinner, we forgot to feed you this morning, how silly of us.” He said leading them to the kitchen. Everybody helped out and helped made dinner. But Aunt Talia and Uncle Ned weren’t laughing and smiling as they made dinner like the two kids. They were worried sick that they let the kids to the Greenwell’s house. London and Denver laughed as they saw both their Aunt and Uncle.
“I think you showed at orange whose boss!” London claimed. They both looked down and realized they were squeezing the orange so hard, that the juice came out in one squeeze. Denver helped pour the orange juice in a jug.
“Like Mom and Dad used to say, ‘Fresh is always better.’”
“Exactly.” Both adults said. They decided to keep a smile on their face and set the table. Denver opened the dog food can and placed it in a bowl and laid it on the floor. Cuddles ate it with pleasure. Everybody sat down and ate their fish and chips.
“So, tell us what you did there?” Aunt Talia asked anxiously. So, Denver told them how he saw Connie’s Dad’s laboratory and London told them how Connie’s mother was also a fashion designer.
“Did you touch the medicine?” Uncle Ned said interrupting London’s story.
“Um, no I don’t think that would be safe.” Uncle Ned sighed with relief. “Okay, go on London.” London stared at her brother for a while, but started talking about how they took a tour around London.
“That sounds like fun.” Aunt Talia said.
“It was.” London claimed. Denver wasn’t really hungry, because the conversation in the end between Connie’s father and him seemed like he was actually trying to see how upset he would get, and it did upset Denver. I wonder why he’d do that, he thought.
“Denver, what’s the matter?” Uncle Ned asked.
“Hmm?” He said looking up. “Nothing.”
“Why aren’t you eating?”
“Um, I’m full.”
“You haven’t even taken a bite yet.” London protested.
“I’m not hungry.” Uncle Ned started studying Denver for a while to see what was wrong, but he couldn’t figure it out. Hi deep browns eyes seemed to be far away, like they had escaped to a whole other dimension.
“Alright. Let’s go watch a movie.” Uncle Ned led the 4 of them to the couch and they all sat like one happy family and enjoyed a nice movie. But everybody was really distracted in their thoughts. Well, except London and Cuddles, who were watching the movie with enjoyment. Denver laid his head on the couches armrest with London’s head on his shoulder and Cuddles on his lap. He just looked out the window and stared at the London view. It was almost too pretty to forget. He wondered what the real reason was his mother and father didn’t like coming here or why Aunt Talia or Uncle Ned never came to visit them. Both girls fell asleep on Denver’s lap.
“I think it’s time to go to bed.” Aunt Talia said, looking at London and Cuddles.
“I can carry London upstairs.”
“Oh no! Not with your broken arm, I’ll do it, you can just set Cuddles down on the little dog bed over there.” Uncle Ned said carrying London upstairs. Aunt Talia followed. Denver placed Cuddles in her dog bed and closed the living room lights. He climbed up the stairs and opened his bedroom door. Uncle Ned set London down and tucked her in. Uncle Ned patted Denver’s head. “Good night.”
“Good night.” Aunt Talia patted his checks and closed the door behind her. Denver went to his bed and covered himself with the blanket. He laid his head back and fell asleep.

Greg Greenwell just found out where Denver Morris was now living. At the Tablet’s house. Ned and Talia Tablet’s house. If they found out that he was going to do to their nephew, they’d sue him at court and beat him until they could see blood. Ned and Talia Tablet had been enemies of Greg Greenwell for over 25 years. He had accidentally tested on one of their friends with a medicine and turned her into a dog. He tried to test the Tablet’s too, but they hid far away from him. He even tried to threaten Talia Tablet’s sister and she fled the country and to America. She never came back and Talia never went to America since her sister though she might accidentally lead Greg Greenwell with her. Because of them, these two sisters have never met each other, and now one of the sister’s was dead.

Greg Greenwell was dressed in black from head to toe. He placed on a ski mask and placed the two tablets in different zip-lock bags. He labeled one bag, TEST MEDICNE, and the other one, SLEEP MEDICINE, with a Sharpie marker. He couldn’t allow the kid to be awake, so he’d just put him to sleep and he’d think it was all a dream. The fat man got in the black car and drove over to the Tablet’s house. His stomach was turning in knots. He didn’t know if this plan would work or not. And even if he did get the medicine inside the kid, would the medicine actually work? Greg Greenwell shook the bad thoughts out of his head. This will work, he assured himself. It will work. He said as he reached their house. He parked the car and got out.

* * *

BANG, BANG! Denver quickly opened his eyes as the noise startled him. Maybe it was Cuddles? He thought. BANG, BANG! Definitely not, unless she turned into an elephant. Denver wanted to wake up his sister, but he didn’t want to put her life in danger. He quickly, but quietly, got out of bed. He opened his door a crack. All he saw was darkness. Then, Denver saw a shadow move. That was definitely someone. Denver walked down the stairs quietly.

* * *

Greg Greenwell was not doing so well with being quiet. He crashed a vase and he fell over as the dog barked at him.
“Shhh! Shut up you mutt!” He hissed. He left the front door open for an easy escape. Then, he saw a figure walking down the stairs. It was skinny and definitely a boy. It was Denver. He quickly got up.
“Cuddles? Who are you barking at, girl?” Said the boy. It was Denver alright. As Denver walked the last stair, Greg quickly grabbed him from his shoulders. He quickly covered the boy’s mouth as he squirmed through his pocket for the zip lock bags. He tried to hold the boy and search for the medicine, but Denver was putting up a real fight. He opened the bag that said, TEST MEDICINE, and took out the medicine. He grabbed the boy’s mouth and forced it open with two of his sausage like fingers by squeezing his checks.
“Come on,” He said in a deep voice to disguise himself. He got the medicine in the boy’s mouth and forced him to swallow it. After a few try’s, it finally went through. The boy coughed on the man’s hand as the medicine was forced down his esophagus. “One more time, open up.” He said in his deep voice, but the boy didn’t. Greg quickly got the other medicine and shoved it down the boy’s throat again. “Sorry, but it’s for a good purpose.” Instantly, Denver felt the room spinning around him and the man looked very blurry all of a sudden. “Remember, this was all a dream,” Greg said, feeling the boy getting wobbly on his grip. He let the boy go and he collapsed hard on the ground.
“Who’s there?!” Said a man’s voice from upstairs. Cuddles started putting up a fight with the man, but he just shoved the dog away. Greg quickly ran out the door and closed it quietly. He quickly got in the car and drove away. He wiped the sweat from his forehead, but he’d need a bucket to wipe all of the sweat away. He smiled as his plan succeeded. After this works, that’s when the money comes. Greg could almost smell the scent of green papers in a suitcase that was going to be handed to him. All mine, thought Greg Greenwell. All mine.

* * *

Uncle Ned quickly ran downstairs with Aunt Talia and London following. Uncle Ned placed his finger on his lips. They nodded and quietly walked down the stairs and saw a body on the ground. Uncle Ned quickly flipped on the light switch to discover Denver face-down on the ground and a vase was broken.

“Denver!” London yelled. She flipped him over carefully. He looked unharmed, except for a little bump on his head. Uncle Ned and Aunt Talia kneeled next to him.
“Why was he down on the floor?” Aunt Talia wondered.
“Maybe he was sleep walking?” Uncle Ned guessed.
“No,” London told them. “Denver doesn’t sleep walk.”
“Well, at least he’s fine. Let’s just put this behind us, okay?” Uncle Ned asked London. She wanted to tell them that he could have been hurt, but stopped herself and just nodded. “Good.” Uncle Ned picked up Denver and closed the lights. He walked up and took Denver to his bed. London looked over Uncle Ned to see if Denver was fine. “London, don’t worry. We’ll see what happened in the morning, but right now, let’s go to sleep.” He walked London over to her bed. “Good night.”
“Good night.” London said. As Uncle Ned left, London just stared at her brother. What was the real reason Denver was down there? Did someone sneak in? Would Denver remember? These were some of the questions that came to London’s mind as she fell asleep.

When London woke up the next morning, it was noon. She quickly ran out of bed and over to Denver.
“Denver! Wake up!” She hissed. Denver shook the voice out of his head. He still felt dizzy and wanted to sleep. “Denver!” She shouted. Denver opened one eye and tried to ignore his headache.
“London, I’m trying to sleep.” He moaned with sleep in his voice.
“Forget about sleep. What happened last night?!” Denver carefully sat up and rubbed his eyes.
“Last night?”
“Yeah, we found you on the ground yesterday by the front door. Do you remember anything?” Denver tried to process what happened last night. A man shoving medicine down his throat, but said this was all a dream.
“I’m not sure, maybe I was sleep walking?”
“You’ve never done it before.”
“It can happen.” London wanted to question Denver’s theory but she couldn’t find another explanation. They quickly changed their clothes and walked out of the room. But before they walked down the stairs, Denver heard arguing. He lowered London down and pointed at Uncle Ned and Aunt Talia in the living room, who were yelling at each other.
“…telling you, it was him!”
“Talia, just because he went to the Greenwell’s house, doesn’t mean that that’s the reason why Denver was on the ground. There are many reasons-”
“Like what?!” Aunt Talia said with her arms crossed.
“Well…I’m not sure, but there’s always a logical explanation for things.”
“Nothing is logical when the Greenwell’s are involved, Ned!” Denver and London stared at each other. What were they hiding about the Greenwell?
“Okay, let’s just forget about all of this, I’m sure Denver’s fine.”
“You better hope so.” Talia mumbled walking into the kitchen. Uncle Ned sighed and followed her.
“What are they hiding?” London whispered.

“I don’t know.” Then, an image hit Denver. “London, let’s go to that room with the wedding picture of Aunt Talia and Uncle Ned.
“Why?”
“Just come on.” Both siblings crawled over to the same room and opened and closed the door quietly. London picked up the picture and showed it to Denver. Denver tried to ignore their parents and focused on the man who was blacked out from the picture. Denver flipped the photo frame over and took out the picture. “Do you have any nail polish remover?”
“Um yeah, why? Wait, don’t tell me little Denver got his hands in mommy’s make-up again?” London teased Denver like he was 4. Denver just smiled and led London into their room.
“I’ve got an idea.” London handed Denver the nail polish remover and a cotton swab, not sure what her brother was planning. Denver dipped the cotton swab in the nail polish remover and carefully started wiping the Sharpie marker off. It came drizzling if immediately. He quickly grabbed a napkin and wiped the marker stain off until he could see the man clearly. It was a skinny guy with jet black hair and a beard and a mustache. London gasped.

“That’s Connie’s father!”
“And remember when we were going to Connie’s, they looked pretty scared to let us go?” London nodded. “Well, it’s because they know something about this man, something that we don’t know about him.”
“But what?”
“Why don’t we do some research on that.” London smiled.
“Guess having a nerd for a brother isn’t half bad.” Denver smiled. London placed the photo back in its frame and got up to put it back. Denver followed, but collapsed on his knees as something sharp hit him. London quickly looked back. “Denver?” She kneeled beside him. He placed his hand on his forehead and shook the sharp pain away.
“I’m fine. I think I just feel tired.” London stared at him. He wasn’t just tired, but he looked a little pale too.
“You sure?” Denver got up and smiled at her.
“Of course, now let’s go place this picture back.” London wanted to ask Denver what happened, but shrugged it off and walked into the room to place the picture back while her brother stood guard. Denver frowned as the pain slowly went away. That was not sleep, he thought to himself. Something’s wrong with me. London came back.
“Let’s go downstairs.” Denver nodded and both of them walked into the kitchen. Uncle Ned and Aunt Talia were about to argue some more until they saw the kids come in. They placed a smile on both of their faces for the kids.
“Well look who’s up?” Aunt Talia said.
“Are you okay Denver?”
“Yeah, I must have been sleep walking, nothing to worry about.” Uncle Ned nudged Aunt Talia.
“I told you.” Aunt Talia rolled her eyes and placed lunch on the table.
“How about today we go somewhere special.” Everybody sat down.
“Where?” London asked.
“Thames river cruise.” Uncle Ned held up a London pass.
“Plus we can skip lines.” London patted Cuddles head, who always sneaked under the table.
“ It sounds like fun.” Denver said taking a bite out of his meal.
“Great.” Uncle Ned said. “We’ll go right after lunch, so you can take a camera with you if you want.”
“Can we please bring the camera?” London begged. Denver sighed.
“Only this once.”
“Yes!”
“What camera?” The adults asked.
“Denver got this cool video camera for his 13th birthday and has never filmed anything.”
“I’ve been saving it for a special occasion!” Denver protested.
“Well that’s right now, and I know where it is!” London said running to their room.
“London, don’t touch my stuff!” Denver said almost running behind him, but forgot something. “May I be excused?”
“Go on.” Denver ran after his sister, leaving Aunt Talia and Uncle Ned laughing.

Uncle Ned drove all of them to the cruise. They showed their London passes and were skipped to the front of the line like a few others. They got on the boat and loved the wonderful breeze. London made funny faces into the camera as Denver filmed her. Uncle Ned joined along with London, unlike Aunt Talia, who just crossed her arms at her husband’s childless behavior. Denver filmed the whole thing. Then they headed to the London Zoo. Uncle Ned took lots of pictures of the kids goofing around with the animals. Denver and London laughed as they spotted a gorilla that looked just like Aunt Talia. They then saw live music playing in the park and Uncle Ned filmed the two siblings dancing around. Then Denver took over the camera and filmed Uncle Ned and Aunt Talia dancing, which was pretty awkward when one was short while the other was tall. Throughout the whole trip, Denver tried to ignore his headaches and pains everywhere. If he took a step, it was more painful than laughing. He also felt hot all over but didn’t want to show it. He just kept a smile on his face and didn’t complain once.

All and all, the Morris’s kids felt like one big happy family with their Aunt and Uncle. At the end of the day, they finally went home. When they got home, they all went to the living room and watched and viewed the pictures and videos to relive their adventures.
“This was the best day ever! Thank you!” Denver exclaimed.
“Yeah, thank you.”
“You’re welcome. It was very fun for us too. Your Aunt doesn’t even let me have any adventures.” Uncle Ned said wiping a few fake tears as the kids laughed.
“Well, what adventures would you like to have?” Aunt Talia asked him.
“This all the time.” Uncle Ned said placing an arm around the kids.
“Oh dear.” Aunt Talia said. As she was in no shape to have adventures like this all the time. She was older than her husband and not full of adventure like her husband who loved every second with these kids and was becoming one of them.
“Why don’t you kids go and rest and then we’ll make dinner?” The kids nodded and climbed the stairs. Denver was the most relieved, who collapsed on his bed. London sat down next to her dresser and started combing her hair, which was very frizzy.
“Ugh, what would people think if they saw me?”
“They’d say, ‘Look how pretty she is.’” Denver said not adding a touch of humor or sarcasm in him voice. London looked at his brother who was lying on the bed and looked pretty terrible.
“Excuse me, but where’s the insult, or the sarcasm?” London said pointing her brush at him.
“I’m not in the mood, London. Denver is tired.” He said in third person and covered his face with a pillow. London first thought it was nothing and he was being nice, but it was just unusual. London walked over to Denver.
“Are you okay?”
“London, Hush! You’re giving Denver a headache!” He hissed. London took the pillow away from his face, which was sweaty and pale.
“Denver, you don’t look so good.”
“But you do.” He said in a child-like voice. Denver took the pillow from her and placed it over his face again. London ran downstairs and into the kitchen, where Aunt Talia and Uncle Ned were talking.
“Aunt Talia, Uncle Ned, I think there’s something wrong with Denver.” They both looked over at her.
“What do you mean?” Aunt Talia asked.
“He’s pale, sweaty, and he’s talking in third person like a child, and he’s complimenting me!”
“Okay, I think your being a little over with the complimenting and the child talk, but maybe he’s sick.” Uncle Ned diagnosed.
“But he was fine before.” Aunt Talia pointed out.
“I don’t know, maybe he was hiding it from us?” London thought. All three of them ran up the stairs and over to Denver. The pillow had dropped to the floor and his eyes were closed. He looked pretty bad. Uncle Ned kneeled over Denver.
“Denver, were you sick before?” Denver slowly nodded. “Why didn’t you tell us?”
“Denver said not to tell.” He said softly. Uncle Ned studied Denver and felt his forehead. It felt very hot.
“I think he’s just hallucinating from a fever. Very normal, Talia can you get the thermometer from the closet?” Aunt Talia ran out with speed and came back with the thermometer and handed it to her husband. He placed it in Denver’s mouth and watched as the thermometer’s digital numbers went back and forth. Finally it beeped and said its final answer. Uncle Ned took the thermometer from Denver’s mouth and looked at the numbers. 103.5.
“Isn’t that high? Our parents would panic if it was 101.” London told him.
“This is normal. It’s probably a new country and his body’s just adjusting to the weather. Nothing terrible. I’ll just give him some medicine in the morning and keep a cloth over his head. Don’t worry. Let’s just go eat dinner.” London and Aunt Talia went down to the kitchen while Uncle Ned placed a wet cloth over his forehead. He told everybody else Denver was alright, but he was having a few other thoughts. A fever that high and then a few hallucinations, that was pretty serious. But Uncle Ned thought it was alright because he saw a few cases like this in the ER. He went down and joined the two at dinner. Uncle Ned tried to make a conversation to cheer London up.

After dinner, he suggested a movie or a game, but London said she wanted to go to sleep.
“But it’s only 2200h?” Aunt Talia declared.

“I’m tired, it was a very fun day today, and thank you.” She said with a slight smile and went upstairs to her room. She took a glance at Denver. She decided he’d be fine and went to sleep. But not right away, after a few more hours when it was 0600h. She finally fell asleep.

In the morning, London groaned as the window shined a bright light right at her. She took her pillow and covered her face with it. But the sun was just too bright. She groaned and threw the pillow on the floor.

“London, don’t be mad at the pillow.” Said a boy chuckling. London opened her eyes and saw Denver lacing up his sneakers on his bed. London sat up.
“Denver!”
“No, it’s James Bond here to go on an adventure with you.” He said sarcastically. He held out his hand. “Let’s go, London. I have come back from the dead for you.” He said in a terrible fake British accent. London ignored him.
“Are you okay? How do you feel?”
“Better than yesterday. Ugh, it was terrible, and I complimented you!” London smiled and thought, he’s back.

“Just glad you’re okay, but you should have told us.”
“And ruin a tour of London, no thank you. But I’m fine now, so stop your worrying.” London decided to ignore last night’s event and move on. She changed her clothes and went down with her brother. Their Aunt and Uncle were making breakfast. When they saw the kids, they smiled.
“Wow, the first time they’ve awaken for breakfast, someone call the press!” Uncle Ned joked. Both kids smiled. “How do you feel, Denver?”
“Better than yesterday, I was being nice to my sister, talk about gross!” Aunt Talia smiled and gestured them to sit down.
“Who wants some pancakes?”
“Yum!” Both of them said.
“Blueberry or chocolate chips?” Aunt Talia asked.
“I think both would be nice.” London said. Denver nodded.
“Alright then. Though I think burned toast and boiled egg is a better breakfast.” Aunt Talia articulated. The kids gaged at their Aunt’s breakfast choice. Uncle Ned placed fresh fruits, whip cream and syrup on the table. The kids helped set the food down on the table. The kids and Uncle Ned decorated their pancakes with their choice and ate them.
“I feel terrible, I didn’t get any sleep.”
“Well, why are you wining at us?” Denver told London.
“Yup, you’re back.” She said. Denver smiled.
“I’m just saying.” While the three of them were talking, London fell asleep right on her chair in a few minutes.
“I think we should wake her up.” Aunt Talia said.
“I got it.” Denver uncapped the whip cream can. Uncle Ned knew what he was going to do.
“Um, Denver, you might get her mad.”
“That’s what an older brother is here for!” Uncle Ned laughed as Denver sprayed it on her face. He placed some syrup on her pancake and took the plate in his hand, near London’s face. “LONDON!” He yelled and London awoke up quickly and her face landed on the pancake plate. Denver placed the plate down. “I think she’s awake.” He said laughing. London wiped the syrup and whip cream from her face.
“What was that for?!” Denver took a bite out of his pancakes.
“Didn’t you want to wake up?”
“A simple nudge would have been fine!”
“I don’t do things simply, London.” London smiled.
“Neither do I.” She said taking the whip cream can and spraying it on Denver’s hair. London took a bite out of her pancakes while Denver looked up at his new hair dew.
“I think it’s a good look on me, so the jokes on you. Ha-ha!” He said fluffing his whip cream. Uncle Ned and Aunt Talia couldn’t stop laughing at the two of them. Uncle Ned got up and got a camera.
“Say pancakes, you two clowns.” London placed a cherry on Denver’s head first than placed her arm around him.
“Pancakes!” Both of them said, smiling and Uncle Ned took their pictures. He smiled at the camera as the picture please him. Everybody went back to eating their pancakes without throwing toppings at each other.
“We’re going to go to work, so will you two be alright here alone?” Uncle Ned asked.
“Of course.” Denver and London said. Uncle Ned and Aunt Talia got up.
“Our numbers on the fridge if you need anything, we’ll be back in a few hours from the hospital. Try not to kill each other while we’re gone.”
“You’re both doctors?” London asked.
“Well Ned’s a doctor, I’m just a nurse.” She got up, and placed on her sweater. “Bye.”
“Bye.” And they left. After breakfast, London and Denver cleaned up before they went outside. Denver wiped his wet hair with a towel and placed on a jacket.
“Ready to go?”
“Let’s go.” They both ran outside and swung together. Of course Denver was feeling pain everywhere again. He stopped swinging as his body was started to feel cold and the wind was making him colder. London stopped swinging and smiling. “Why did you stop swinging?”
“Um…uh…”He didn’t want to trouble his sister again. He had to think of an excuse to get inside and stay there, because he felt like a Popsicle outside. “Let’s play something inside! How about watch a movie or play something?”

“Why, don’t you want to swing?”
“I do, but let’s just play something else!” He said getting up and dragged his sister to the living room. He sat down opposite of the table and placed her at the other side. He took out a board game and placed it on the table. London stared at Denver who turned up the heat on the thermostat to 95 degrees. London knew something was wrong, but were favorite game, Monopoly, was sitting on the table and she couldn’t resist playing. “Ready?” Denver said handing out the play money. She smiled.
“Let’s play.”

After 2 hours of playing, the two of them started to watch a few movie with Cuddles beside them. But the weird thing was that Denver had the heat up to 95 and he was wearing a blanket! Uncle Ned and Aunt Talia opened the door.
“Hello, we’re back.” Said Aunt Talia.
“In the living room.” London responded. Aunt Talia and Uncle Ned walked in waving papers at them to fan themselves.

“Kids, I know it’s chilly, but is it really necessary to raise the heat to…” She looked over at the thermostat. “95!”
“It was all Denver’s fault.”
“I’m cold.” He confessed. Uncle Ned walked over to Denver and felt his forehead. He was freezing cold.
“You were warm yesterday and now you’re cold, hmm?”
“Are you sure you didn’t eat or do something that was out of the ordinary?” Aunt Talia asked. Denver thought about it.
“No, I don’t think so.”
“Why don’t we take you to a doctor, just in case?” Uncle Ned said.
“Okay.” Denver said. Uncle Ned smiled.
“Okay, come on, let’s go. Talia, you stay here with London, we’ll be back in 20 minutes.” Aunt Talia nodded and Uncle Ned took his keys and led Denver to the car.
“He’ll be okay, right?” London asked Aunt Talia when they left.
“Of course sweetheart, it’s just a fever. How about we go make lunch.” Aunt Talia said leading London into the kitchen. But Aunt Talia had her doubts, because she saw a person at the ER with an up and down fever, and died.

Uncle Ned drove while Denver sat in the front, leaning his head on the window, tracing his finger on the rain drops. Uncle Ned looked at Denver, who was slowly shivering even with the heat turned on in the car. Uncle Ned drove faster.
“Denver, can you think of anything that could have caused this?” Uncle Ned asked him, trying not to sound worried. Denver thought for a while, trying to figure out if he should tell Uncle Ned about the dream or whatever it was. What if he thought he was crazy? But what other choice did he have?
“Well, I’m not sure if it’s going to relate to this, maybe it was a dream…I don’t know.”
“What is it?” He asked.
“Well, I remember the night when I fell down. I heard a loud sound and heard Cuddle’s barking. I went downstairs and was grabbed by a man. He shoved a medicine down my throat and then another one. He said, ‘Sorry, but it’s for a good purpose’ and, ‘Remember, this was all a dream.’ His voice was clearly disguised. It was a stupid dream, probably from a movie we watched last time, right?” Uncle Ned tried hard not to show his anger and gripped the steering wheel and grinned his teeth. He kept his eyes that beamed with anger on the road. “Uncle Ned, are you okay?” Denver asked, He didn’t answer. Denver thought that from the look of him, it was better to be quiet.

When they arrived at the doctor’s office, nobody was there. They sat on the chairs and waited. Uncle Ned tried to control his anger by flipping through the magazines quickly, which of course, he wasn’t reading. Denver quickly grabbed it away from him before he ripped it. “I think magazines aren’t your thing.” Denver told him. Uncle Ned didn’t answer and took another magazine from the shelf and flipped through it angrily. Denver just shook his head and looked at the pattern on the carpet.
“Um, Denver Morris?” Said a man in a British accent. Uncle Ned led Denver to the doctor’s office. It was just like any other doctor’s place. Lollipops, medicines, shots and a huge doctor’s bed. The man had on a white coat and a clipboard in his hand. He was a thin man with a big smile. He extended his hand and Denver shook it. “Hello Denver, how are you?”
“Fine.” When the doctor heard Denver’s accent, he knew he wasn’t from here.
“You’re not from around here, are you?”
“He’s from America.” Uncle Ned told him.
“Well, welcome to London, young man.”
“Thank you.” The man gestured Denver to sit on the bed. He did.
“So, what seems to be the problem?”
“He had a high fever last night, and a low fever today.” The doctor did a few tests by checking Denver’s breathing, his blood pressure and his temperature.
“Well, your body temperature is lower than usual. I’ll just write a prescription for ibuprofen. You can swallow medicine, right?”
“I think I can manage.” Denver said with a smile. The man also smiled as he wrote down the medicine on the paper. He tore the paper and handed it to Uncle Ned.
“Feel better, Denver.”
“Thanks.” He said hopping off and followed his Uncle to the car where he drove to the pharmacy.

When they got there, Uncle Ned told Denver to stay in the car while he went to get the medicine. Denver nodded.
“And lock all the doors and don’t open it unless it’s me, got it?!” He said very firmly.
“Okay.” Denver said slowly, unsure about Uncle Ned’s strange behavior and watched his Uncle go and lock the car doors. Denver just sat and shivered the time away. His eyes started to slowly close but tried to keep them open.

When Uncle Ned got back, he unlocked the car door with his keys and drove them both home. The ride home was pretty silent. “Um, thank you for taking me to the doctors.”
“Of course.” Uncle Ned said blankly. Alright then, Denver thought. He just stared out the window. When they got home, they both ran inside before the rain got them soaked. Aunt Talia and London were in the living room, waiting for them. They walked over to the boys and greeted them.
Well?” Aunt Talia and London asked Uncle Ned.
“He’s fine, nothing bad.” They sighed with relief. “Um, kids, can you go upstairs for a minute while we talk?” They nodded and went upstairs.
“What’s wrong?” Aunt Talia asked as Uncle Ned’s face turned deadly serious.
“Listen to me Talia, do not, and I emphasize on do not let the Greenwell’s near Denver or London. They have and will do something bad! Do you understand?!”
“Ned, what is the matter?” Uncle Ned quickly told her about what Denver had told him. Aunt Talia’s eyes widened.
“THEY WHAT?!”
“Shhh! I know, but we just have to wait what happens and try to catch them red handed and then we can put them to jail.”
“You want us to wait while Denver dies and then call the police!” Aunt Talia hissed.
“We’ll take good care of him, and he’s not going to die. Both London and Denver will be fine.” Aunt Talia knew to trust her husband.

“Okay then.” Aunt Talia said calming down. Both of them walked into the kitchen. But they didn’t know that the kids were actually hiding upstairs and listening to every single word. Denver’s face had turned pale throughout the whole conversation.
“What?” He croaked.
“They’re behind this?!” London whispered, but it turned into a silent shout.
“What?”
“I can’t believe it! Those monsters!”
“What?” Was the only thing Denver could say right now. London patted his shoulder.
“Don’t worry, you aren’t going to die.” Denver winced when he heard the d word.
“Kids, lunch is ready!” Denver almost tripped through the staircases.
“Denver, you have to climb down the stairs, not tumble down like Jake and Jill.” Denver wasn’t even in the mood to return back an insult. He carefully went down the stairs. “Keep a straight face.” London told him. Denver stepped on her foot as he was getting annoyed with her. They both showed a bright smile on their faces. They sat down on the table. Both of them would give advice to the other to keep a straight face and ended up with numb toes.
“Quit stepping on my toes!” Denver whispered a little too loudly.
“Quit stepping on my toes!” Both of them banged their heads on table, not sure what would happen next. Arguing was the one thing that always calmed them down.
“Why don’t you too calm down and eat your lunch?”
“Well, actually its dinner, it’s 2000h.” Aunt Talia informed him.

“Oh, well eat your dinners.” The kids didn’t pick up their heads.
“I don’t feel like eating.”
“Me neither.” London said.
“Kids, you have to eat dinner.” Uncle Ned said siting down.
“Well, actually, a human being can live about a week without water or food, so technically-” London picked up her head and thumped the back of Denver’s head to shut him up.
“Nerd.” She snorted.

“Okay you two, when will you eat?” Uncle Ned asked.
“I call never.” Denver said placing his hand up.
“I’m with him.”
“Out of the blue, you don’t want to eat?” They both nodded. “Well, who doesn’t eat their dinner, they don’t get ice cream.”
“Oh great, my last desert.” Denver mumbled.
“What?!” Denver lifted his head.
“Did I say that out loud?”
“We sort of overheard you about the Greenwell’s.” Both adults slapped their hands on their foreheads.
“So what is so bad about the Greenwell’s that you think they did this?” Denver asked. Uncle Ned signed, and the kids could sense their Uncle going to tell them something important.
“You see, Greg Greenwell always loved science. It was his lifelong dream to be a scientist since he was little.”
“How do you know that?” Denver asked Uncle Ned. He lowered his head.
“I used to be his best friends. Anyway, he loved science but of course with science, there were many risks. But Greg didn’t care. He’d give out checks with amounts more than the Prime Minister would get in a week to the people’s families if the medicine harmed the person he was using to test the experiment. That proves his love for science and that he really didn’t care if a person died, he’d just get rid of them like a burned up plant. Anyway, he always looked for new people to target. After we got married and your parents were also here with us, Greg tried to force us to do an experiment for him. Of course we didn’t want to, but he’d stop at nothing and wouldn’t take no for an answer. He sneaked into our house and tried to make us take the medicine, and got arrested. Your parents didn’t like it that a lunatic like him was living here. So, they fled the country and have been living in America ever since. We also hid by moving far away from him. We didn’t contact your parents because they thought Greg might trace them.”
“The sad part was that we had a friend named Penny. She was a very good friend to your family and us. She was at home one night and Greg injected something in her and turned her into a dog.” Aunt Talia said. Both kids looked at their Aunt and Uncle like they were crazy.
“A dog?” London asked.
“A person turned into a dog?” Denver asked. They both nodded.
“Usually we don’t really like animals, but since she was a good friend, we have made an exception. We figured out that her brain is completely a dogs. We don’t know how to change her back or where her human brain is.”
“That’s such a sad-” London tried to analyze what Aunt Talia was saying and stared at the dog looking at them with her tongue out and she looked like she was smiling. “THAT DOG IS A PERSON!”
“OH MY GOD!” Denver shouted.
“Hey, she has feelings!” Uncle Ned told them. The kids were completely freaked out and stared at the dog.
“But she…and a dog…” Denver said pointing a finger at her.
“Oh god!” London said.
“Okay, okay, calm down.”
“Is this what normal is in London!” Denver shouted.
“Well, for us.” Denver and London shook their heads to try to clear their minds of what was happening right now. “Okay, changing the subject.”
“Yeah, I’m about to die, whoop ti do!” Denver said twirling his finger around in mid-air.
“Denver, you are not going to die.”
“You know, I really hate it when adults know about the real facts and keep it to themselves but when they talk to kids, they lie!” London exclaimed.
“Wow, these kids are not stupid.” Uncle Ned said eating his rice with a spoon.
“Denver, listen to me, you’re going to be fine, I promise.”
“Plus, we have a plan.” Uncle Ned told them. They looked up.
“What?”
“Well, we can call Connie, and London can have some ‘girl time’ with her, and she can find out what their father was really up to.”
“What about me?” Denver asked.
“You, young man, are staying upstairs where it is safe. Plus, we don’t know what will happen to you tomorrow.” Aunt Talia told him.
“What?! I’m not spineless or weak you know.” He held up a finger on front of London who was about to make a comment. “Not in the mood, London.”
“Listen Denver, this is for your own good, and all the others out there who have suffered from this creep.” Uncle Ned told him.
“Great,” He said crossing his arms. “London gets to be James Bond for a day while I’m going to be stuck
in my room, being sick!”
“It’s for your own good. Now let’s skip dinner and eat some ice cream, okay?”
“No thank you. I’m already cold inside.” Denver confessed. Nobody noticed he had been hugging himself through the whole conversation.
“Alright then, how about-”
“Some sleep would really be good.” London told them.
“I agree.”
“But it’s so early?”
“Thank you, bye!” London said heading upstairs. Denver was about to go when Uncle Ned stopped him and handed Denver a tablet and a glass of water. He quickly swallowed the medicine and drank the water.
“Thank you, good night.” He said running upstairs and under his blanket. Finally, he thought to himself. I don’t have to talk anymore or sit in that cold room. Denver had a headache the size of a watermelon and chills everywhere that he instantly fell asleep.

Connie was in her room, counting her money that was in her own huge safe in her room.
“One million, eight thousand and ninety-nine, one million, nine thousand euros. Yup, all there.” She said and gestured the guard to close the safe. He did and left. Who came in was her father.
“Hello Connie, how’s my favorite Princess doing?” She sighed.
“Out with it.” She said.
“What do you mean?” Her father said innocently.
“You only compliment me if you have a job or a request. Name your game and I’ll name my price.” When this girl bargained, she bargained more than she could chew off.
“Alright, I need you to go over and chat with London tomorrow.”
“Eww, why? She’s so weird!”
“It’s so you can find out about Denver.” The name, Denver, just made Connie want to sing.
“Oh, well sure. What about him?”
“I need you to ask London if he has been acting weird or different all of a sudden.”
“Why?”
“No reason, now what’s your price?” Connie thought about it for a moment.
“Five hundred thousand euros should be enough.”
“That’s it? You usually ask for interest?” The truth was that meeting Denver was a pleasure to her. She would give all of her money to be with Denver.
“No reason, now do you mind, I need my beauty sleep.”
“Of course, good night Princess.”
“Whatever.” She said closing the door behind her father. When these two had a father-daughter moment, it wasn’t a nice conversation like they were a family. No, they talked like they were business people. Connie smiled that she was going to see Denver tomorrow. She slept with her dreams filled with happiness of her and Denver.

* * *

The next morning, London woke up to see how Denver was. She went over to his bed and woke him up.
“Denver, Denver.” He groaned in pain and gave a few bad coughs. His throat was red and he was pale. He was sweating one minute than freezing up the next. “How do you feel?”
“Terrible.” He said with a few coughs. “I have a huge headache, I can’t stop coughing and I shiver or sweat like crazy. And I can’t move much either, it hurts all over.” Denver said coughing and brought his blanket up to his neck. London sighed. He’s getting worse, she said to herself. She walked out of the room and Uncle Ned and Aunt Talia were in the living room. They both saw London come down the stairs.
“Is something wrong?” She just signed and nodded. They both frowned as London quickly told them what Denver told them.
“Talia get the thermometers and a hot and cold pack. London, get me my First-Aid kit from the closet.” Both of them nodded and ran around to fetch the supplies, while Uncle Ned ran upstairs to check on Denver. He walked over to the boy in his bed. “How are you doing, Denver?”
“I feel like a sick dog. Wait, do dogs get sick?”
“Yes.”
“Okay.” He said shaking his head.
“Do you have a headache?”
“A big bad headache.” He chuckled softly while he thought about the little riding hood and the big bad wolf. His imagination went away when he gave a few hard coughs.
“Don’t worry champ, you’ll be better in no time.”
“Yay.” He said cheering softly. Uncle Ned frowned at the boy. He was so active before and happy, now he looked terrible than ever. Maybe even worse when he found out his parents were dead. Aunt Talia and London returned with the equipment. Uncle Ned took Denver’s temperature. It was 103.6. He checked it again and it was 95.8. It kept changing every time. He opened his first-aid kit and took out a stethoscope. He checked Denver’s breathing and it wasn’t very steady. Denver gave a few rough coughs through the tests. Uncle Ned quickly got a tongue depressors.
“Say Ahhh, Denver.” Denver did, but it sounded more like a cat dying. His throat was all scratched up and red.
“Well?” Both girls asked him. He signed.
“He has so many random symptoms.”
“I’ve got...” he coughed hard. “Something to say.”
“What is it?” They all asked eagerly.
“The medicine that Connie’s Dad was working on was a depression pill. It stays inside a person forever so they don’t get sad, angry, or frustrated. Just happy all the time.” London and Uncle Ned snapped their fingers.
“That’s it!”
“What?” Aunt Talia asked. Denver covered his ears as the people in the room were giving him a headache with all their cheering and talking.
“Greg wanted Denver to test his pill because he knew about him! He was the perfect person to take it!” London claimed.
“And since the pill is inside of him, his body can’t accept it and is doing crazy stuff!” Uncle Ned summed it up.
“So that’s it? I’m going to die?” Denver covered his head with the blanket. “Good bye world, bye London, you’ve been a kind sister to me.” London’s mouth was wide opened as her brother was saying his good byes. Uncle Ned took the blanket away from Denver’s face.
“You are not going anywhere. You’ll be fine. I’d let you die over my dead body!”
“Oh great, you’re going to die too?” Denver covered his face with the blanket again. Uncle Ned rolled his eyes.
“Stupid insanity.”
“Insult a boy when he’s about to die, that’s real nice. London, tell Uncle Ned that he needs to be kinder.” Denver declared.
“No it’s a symptom, oh never mind.” He patted Denver’s head. “I’ll give you some medicine to cure you.”
“So you think I’m crazy?!” He helped the girls out of the room before they freaked out.
“I’ll take care of him, you too don’t worry.” He said closing the door behind him and staying with Denver. He walked over to his First-aid kit and took out two medicines. One of them was the ibuprofen and the other one was to make him fall asleep. “Denver, can you swallow these two medicines?”
“I’m not crazy, so I wouldn’t take them!” Uncle Ned decided to use reverse psychology.
“I wouldn’t think you’re crazy if you don’t swallow these medicines.” Denver took the blanket away from his face and sat up, thinking about what he just said.
“Fine, but only to prove I’m not crazy.” Uncle Ned smiled as Denver swallowed both medicines. Denver’s vision started to become blurry and the room started to spin around him. “What are these?”
“Ibuprofen and…” Denver’s eyes closed and he collapsed on the bed frame. Uncle Ned helped his lay down in his bed. “Sleep medicine. Sweet dreams, Denver, feel better.” And he left.

The girls were worried sick. When Uncle Ned came down, he told them he had given him pain medicine and sleep medicine.
“Now what are we going to do?” London said siting on the couch in depression. Uncle Ned sat next to her.
“We are going to go with the plan. You’ll go to Connie’s house and both of you will talk and you’ll try to find out if his father did it or not. Do it for Denver, the other people…” Cuddle’s ran up to London and placed her head in her lap. “And for Penny.” London smiled.
“Alright. Um, if they ask where Denver is, can I tell them about what has happened to him?” They both nodded.
“If you see a surprised face, it means that his medicine backfired and that he’d be going to jail soon.” Uncle Ned told her.
“Wonderful, I’ll drive you there right now. But remember, don’t eat anything there or get distracted.” Aunt Talia handed her a cell phone. “For emergencies.” Both girls got in the car and drove to the rich people’s house.

Connie was dressing herself up and combing her hair in front of the mirror. DING DONG! Connie ran down to see who it was. She opened the door to find London, but no Denver.
“Hi London.”
“Hi Connie.” She gave a big smile, but it was clearly forced.
“Where’s Denver?”
“Oh, I thought we could talk. You know, have some girl time.”
“Oh, I was just about to ask you the same thing. Come on in.” Connie led London inside and into the family room. Her father was also there. He smiled at London.
“London Morris, how nice to see you!”
“Hello, Mr. Greenwell.”
“Call me Greg.” He looked around. “Where’s your brother. Denver, wasn’t it?” London tried to hide her anger and nodded.
“He’s very sick.” Greg Greenwell’s eyes widened.
“What happened?” London sat down and told them what had happened to Denver for the past days.
“That is terrible! Isn’t it daddy? Dad?” But Greg Greenwell was thinking about all the money he had spent on this project and how it was about to go down the drain. Like his money.
“Hmm? Yes, it’s very terrible.”
“I don’t know how it happened.” London said innocently at Connie’s father. “He’s fine and then out of the blue, it just hit’s him. And it’s no sickness, there are so many strange symptoms.”
“Like what?” Greg Greenwell asked anxiously, grabbing onto his chair and leaning forward.
“He’s cold one minute that hot the next, he’s pale, he’s very moody, complaining, childish, crazy, and he can’t move much.” Greg Greenwell cussed silently at himself. All of the risks that people were afraid of. That boy was going to die, and he’d go to jail, again! And Greg Greenwell thought he did not look good in an orange jumpsuit.
“I can’t tell you how sorry I feel for him.” Connie said. She really did mean it. If Denver was falling off a cliff and so was all her money and had time to save one of them, she’d choice Denver for sure.
“It really is a sad story.” London nodded and tried to look sad.
“First our parents, and now I’m afraid for Denver.” London said, and she meant that.
“I’m sure he’ll be fine.” Greg Greenwell said rubbing him chin, thinking of another way to keep his project and not let a million euro project go to waste.
“How would you know that?” London asked. He quickly shook himself awake from his thoughts.
“Um, I’m a scientist so I study people. I’m sure he’ll be fine.”
“Oh.”
“If both of you would excuse me, I have some work to do.” Greg Greenwell said getting up and walking over to his lab. London looked over at Connie who had her arms crossed and her expression told London that she really didn’t like it when her father left.
“Does your father ever sit down and actually talk to you?” London asked.
“No. All he cares about it money, and he barely has time for me!”
“I’m sure that’s not true.” Connie glanced over at London.
“He is a fat scientist who doesn’t have time for his wife or his only child, London! I’m sure your father was better.” Connie got up. “If he doesn’t want to care about me, then I wouldn’t either.”
“Connie, I think your father is into his money for you. I mean don’t you want money?”
“I rather have a loving father than be rich. I try to be a spoiled brat so he can notice me, but all he cares about is that new project he’s working on.” She said collapsing on the couch with depression.
“What project?”
“He’s working on a stupid pill to make everybody happy. Everyone except me. It stays inside of your body and keeps you happy and stuff.”
“Is there a way to get rid of the medicine?”
“If there’s a way to put it in, there’s a way to take it out.” London waited for an answer. “Yes.” London’s phone starting vibrating. London took it out and flipped it open. It was a text message from Aunt Talia. I’M OUTSIDE TO PICK YOU UP, ARE YOU READY TO GO? London texted her back saying, YES, I’LL BE RIGHT OUT.
“I’ve got to go Connie, but maybe we can talk later.”
“But you just got here?” My work here is done. She said to herself, but gave Connie a different answer.
“I need to check on Denver.” She said heading for the door and Connie followed.
“I understand. Tell him I said hello.”
“Okay, bye.”
“Bye.” London quickly ran out the door and into the ancient car and Aunt Talia drove her away. Connie went back into the house and decided to check on her father. She walked over to the transparent lab with glass everywhere and saw her father pacing around the room. Connie walked in. “Dad?” He looked up.
“Oh, hello Princess. Good job, just take your money from the family vault.”
“Dad, why did you want me to check on Denver?”
“Just checking. He just came to London, that’s all.” Connie took a few steps towards her Dad.
“But what about London, you didn’t ask about her?”
“It’s because…uh…” Connie may be a spoiled brat, but she was very smart.
“Daddy, tell me you aren’t the one who made Denver sick.”
“No, sweetheart.” He looked away. “It was the medicine.” He mumbled.
“What?!” Greg looked at his daughter.
“Listen sweetheart, it wasn’t technically my fault.”
“Oh really, and how did you get the medicine into him?”
“I…sneaked into his house and forced him to take it.” Greg confessed lowering his head.
“DAD!”
“It’s for money, sweet pea, don’t you want money?”
“Dad, I like Denver and I don’t want him to die!”
“He’s not going to.” Greg showed Connie a huge syringe with white medicine inside it.
“What’s that?”
“We changed the medicine and now it is sure to work. I’ll just inject this into Denver tonight.”
“You’re going to sneak into his house again?”
“Nothing bad.” As Greg placed the syringe back, Connie had a brilliant idea.
“Daddy, is there a way to get the medicine out of someone? I mean, just an idea.”
“Well, yes.” He pointed at the beaker with green stuff inside it. “It drains the medicine away in a few minutes. Very quick remedy, but I can’t allow a million euro project go to waste.” He patted his daughter’s checks. “When you get older, you’ll understand.” He said leaving the room. Connie sighed as she knew his Dad was doing something bad and would end up in jail Also, Denver was in trouble, and Connie would help him. Even if it meant betraying his father.

* * *
“So?” Aunt Talia asked London. London quickly told her what she found out. She smiled when she told Aunt Talia that Connie’s father did have a surprised face when she told him about Denver’s sickness. Aunt Talia smiled too. “We’ve got him. And now, he’s going to pay, hard!” They drove silently to the ride home.
London ran to the house and looked in the living room. There was nobody but Cuddles, who was sleeping on the couch.
“Where’s Denver and Uncle Ned?”
“They’re upstairs.”
“Is Denver alright?”
“He’s fine. Better than before, but he says he’s sore so he’s in his bed.” London ran upstairs and into her room. Uncle Ned was by Denver’s bed, playing chess and trying to brighten Denver’s mood by telling jokes. London walked up to him and Denver smiled.
“Hi London.”
“Hi Denver, you okay?”
“I’m fine, but I think you should sit down, you look like you’ve had a rough day.” London sat on the edge of Denver’s bed.
“It was because of you, you idiot.” Denver smiled.
“What did you find out?” Uncle Ned asked. London quickly told them both about what she found out.
“Huh.” Denver said. “And I thought Mr. Greenwell was a very nice person.”
“And what do you think of him now?” They both asked him.
“I’m having second thoughts now.”
“That two-faced idiot should rot in jail!” London said pounding her fist in her hand.
“Okay, now we just need some evidence for the police to convince them that they did it.” Aunt Talia said from behind.
“Oh I know Greg, he’s not stopping right now. He has a plan b, I know it.”
“How’s Denver?” London asked.
“He’s fine. Just stiff but absolutely fine.” Uncle Ned told her. She sighed with relief.
“Aren’t I supposed to be worrying about you, not the other way around?” Denver asked.
“I know, but you can’t even handle yourself. Nor can you go five minutes without getting into trouble.”
“That’s my nature, London!” She smiled.
“Well it’s a stupid nature. Sort of like how you were talking in the morning.”
“Ugh, don’t remind me, I sounded so stupid.”
“But Denver, that’s how you usually sound.” London said innocently. Denver threw a pillow in her face as she laughed.
“We’ll leave you two alone for a while.” Uncle Ned said. Both Aunt Talia and he left the room.
“Aren’t you hungry?” London asked him.
“No thank you. Aunt Talia’s clam soup made me want to throw up and she’ll probably give it to me again!” London smiled. Denver was Denver, but then he wasn’t. He still had him same humoring tone, but his smile was forced, and his laughter wasn’t his laughter. It sounded more like an old man with Thyroiditis, his laughter mixed with coughing. His skin would either turn blue, red or pale, sort of like the U.S flag and he looked very weak.
“Don’t worry, Denver. You’re not leaving us and we’ll put Mr. Greenwell in jail.”
“I’ll be fine, I know that. It’s just…I’m worried about Connie.”
“Why?”
“Well, clearly Connie’s Dad is going to jail and it’s going to be hard for her.”
“She’ll be fine Denver, let’s worry about you first.”
“Now you sound like Mom.”
“Well I have to be. Who else is going to keep you away from trouble?”
“You’re the best London, you know that?”
“I’ve always told you that.” Denver wrapped his sister in a hug. London frowned as even Denver’s arm wouldn’t tighten around her and felt boney. Denver let her go and London gave him a big smile

When the Tablet’s and the Morris’s kids were fast asleep in their house, it was time for Greg Greenwell to put his plan b to work, just as Uncle Ned predicted. Greg Greenwell drove his car to the Tablet’s house. He stared at their house for a while as he was thinking to himself, Should I really do this? Should I actually put a child’s life at risk for me? Then another part of him said, Yes you idiot, this medicine could be your brilliant idea yet! You’ll be rich, well, richer! Greg smiled. He was going to be richer, and it started now. He took the syringe from the seat next to him. This medicine was a fast worker, it would tell if it worked almost immediately.
He quickly got out of his car and picked the door knob. He quietly opened the door and peaked inside. All the lights were out and he didn’t see a shadow moving. He quietly walked up the stairs and opened a room quietly. He sneaked inside and saw a man and a woman sleeping on a bed. Uncle Ned and Aunt Talia. He quickly, but quietly, closed the door and opened the door next to it. There were two beds. One had a girl and one had a boy sleeping on the beds. Bingo! Thought Greg.

Greg walked over to the boy and looked him over. He clearly looked like he had lost a few pounds and looked pretty weak. He felt his forehead. He was cold. He took one of his hands, which felt weak and boney compared to Greg’s hand and grip, and injected the medicine inside of the boy.
“Don’t worry Denver, you’re going to feel a whole lot better.” That’s when London bolted up when she heard a voice. She looked over at Denver and saw a huge, black tomato next to him. London rubbed her eyes and saw that it was Greg Greenwell, and he was injecting something into Denver. London’s eyes widened.
“WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!”She yelled. Greg dropped the needle and turned around.
“I…I…”
“UNCLE NED, AUNT TALIA, HELP!” London yelled from the top of her lungs. Greg quickly grabbed the boy into his arms and was about to run away, but London had took Karate in America. She kicked and slapped the big tomato around until he was on the floor. London quickly dragged Denver away from him and London sat down in the corner of the room with Denver. The door opened up quickly and the lights turned on as Uncle Ned and Aunt Talia appeared in their slippers and robes.
“What happened?!”
“He put something inside of Denver!” London cried. Uncle Ned ran over to Denver. He started to lose all the color from his body and started to shake. He took huge breaths of air, but they weren’t enough to fill up his lungs. Denver started gasping for air.
“Can’t…breath!” Denver chocked. London started crying louder.
“Talia, call the police! I have to take Denver to the hospital!” He said picking his up into his arms.
“But I can call for an ambulance!”
“They wouldn’t be here fast enough!” He looked over at the fat man on the floor with sweat all over his face. Uncle Ned held him from his collar. “You will pay! Talia, don’t let him out of your sight!” London followed Uncle Ned downstairs and into the car. Aunt Talia placed a foot on Greg Greenwell’s chest and picked him up by his hair.
“If that boy goes, you do too!” She said slamming the man’s head down on the floor hard. She quickly reached for her cell phone and dialed 911.

* * *

Uncle Ned drove with speed. He looked back at the girl and boy behind him. London was crying her heart out with Denver’s head in her lap. He wasn’t breathing right and was gasping for air.
“Hold on Denver, we’re almost there!”
“London…” He croaked. She tried to smile under her tears but it was hopeless.
“Don’t worry, Denver. We’re almost there.” Denver gasped for air as his sister’s word was too much to say. Uncle Ned drove through the red lights, stop signs and almost ran over a few pedestrians. Finally, they reached the hospital. Uncle Ned climbed out and carried Denver in his arms and London ran after him. Uncle Ned quickly ran to the front counter and started yelling for help. A group of doctors and nurses came. Uncle Ned quickly told them all that had happened to the poor boy in 2 minutes. The doctors and nurses eyes widened but quickly took the boy and into a Gurnee, rolling him over to a room and hooking him up to monitors, breathing tubes, and oxygen masks. They started putting medicines into him right away. London and Uncle Ned stood in the corner of the room. Uncle Ned held London close to him as she cried all the tears in her body.

Uncle Ned tried to think of something soothing to say to London, but looking over at Denver, even he wasn’t even sure what to say. He just hoped Denver would be alright. London started to cry louder as she saw Denver’s heart beat on the monitor. His heat beat was going down quickly. Uncle Ned held London close to her and he started to cry silently as well. London started praying and crying. She couldn’t dare loss her brother, her only real family to her. She couldn’t and wouldn’t.

* * *

Meanwhile, Greg Greenwell was in the London police department. He sat there calm on the chair while 3 police men’s banged their fists on the table, asking for answers.
“We are going to ask you one more time and one more time only before I stop talking and start fighting. What did you do to the boy?!”
“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Greg Greenwell said calmly with his hands folded.
“That tears it!” The two other cops held the other cop from pulverizing Greg Greenwell, who was examining his nails. Aunt Talia was looking from the one-way mirror and staring at Greg, who was completely calm. My nephew’s life is at stake and you’re examining your nails! Aunt Talia thought to herself. Then a phone rang, it was coming from the room. The cop’s looked at Greg, whose phone was ringing. He dug it out of his pocket and stared at the caller ID. It said, Connie.
“Excuse me officers, it’s my daughter.”
“Put it on speaker!” So Greg answered the call and placed it on speaker.
“Hello?”
“Daddy, where are you?”
“Sweetheart, this is not the time-”
“Where are you?!” He sighed.
“At the police department.” They heard a loud sound which was Connie dropping the phone on the ground.

Connie couldn’t believe it, her father was in jail! Wait, what about Denver! Oh no! She quickly ran to her father’s lab. She looked around and found the beaker that had green stuff it in. She quickly grabbed it and got an empty syringe. She rang the intercom bottom which was in every room and could be heard from any room.
“Driver, start up the limo and please drive me to the police station.” The driver dropped his sandwich. The brat actually said please! He thought. This must be very important! So he ran outside and started up the limo. He waited and saw the girl get in the car. He didn’t even have to open or close the door.
“How fast?” He asked. She leaned forward.
“Enough to get your driver’s license revoked.” The driver had been waiting for those words his entire life. He got out a pair of sunglasses and placed them on.
“Hold on Miss.Greenwell, this is going to be a bumpy ride.” And the limo took off with speed.

* * *

Aunt Talia tried calling his husband, but he wouldn’t answer. Aunt Talia started crying silently. What would happen to Denver? Was he alright? Would he be alive? Greg Greenwell was still calm and smiling. He was actually smiling! The officer who almost tried to kill Greg, had his sleeves up and his face was red. He knew the American boy needed to be saved, but he couldn’t get the answers out of this lunatic. A police officer stood by Aunt Talia who was shaking his head in despair.
“May I?” Aunt Talia asked, pointing to the microphone.
“Of course.” Aunt Talia pressed the button and held the microphone close to her mouth.
“Listen to me you idiotic freak! If you don’t tell me what you did to my nephew and don’t find a cure, I will…” Aunt Talia said so many cusses that even the police officers were surprised this old lady knew that many cusses. Aunt Talia removed her finger from the button, but didn’t feel satisfied. Suddenly with speed, Connie ran into the room. “Connie?” Aunt Talia said.
“Can I…” She said very out of breath. “Talk to my father?”
“Um, go ahead.” Connie ran into the room and all eyes were on her. Her father looked at her surprised.
“Connie?”
“Dad, where’s Denver?”
“The hospital.” Her eyes widened.
“Daddy, how could you?!”
“Connie, now we know the medicine didn’t work, so what if a boy dies?” The officer grabbed Greg by his shirt collar.
“I CARE!”
“And so do I!” She said waving the beaker in front of her father’s face and he gasped. Connie quickly told the police everything, word for word. “…and this beaker had the medicine to save Denver!” Connie said summing it up.
“Connie, you betrayed your own father for a boy you’ve only known for a week!”
“You’re not my father, you’re just a filthy criminal!” She turned back to the officers. “We need to go to the hospital Denver’s in, and fast!” The officers nodded.
“But we’re bringing this disgusting thing along, we need to see if he was lying or not.” Connie ran outside the room, where Aunt Talia greeted her with a hug.
“Oh Connie, thank you so much.” Connie hugged her back.
“You’re welcome, now let’s go save Denver!”

Both Connie and Aunt Talia got in a car with an officer driving, while Greg drove with 5 other officers.
“So, it’s a lovely weather today, right?” The officer who hated this man’s guts, punched Greg right across his face, causing his nose to bleed.
“SHUT UP!” They all drove with speed to the hospital. When they got there, they all asked where Denver Morris’s room was and the nurse directed them over. There laid Denver on the hospital bed with nothing attached to him. He was completely white and had no color in his body. His eyes were closed and he almost looked like he was peacefully asleep. London sat next to him, crying while holding his weak hand. Uncle Ned was by the door, leaning his head on the wall, not know whether to cry or scream. So he just stood there quietly.

Aunt Talia touched her husband’s shoulder.
“What happened?”
“The doctors said he didn’t make it.” Connie walked over to Uncle Ned.
“We still have one more shot.”
“C-C-Connie?” London chocked out. Connie walked over to London and smiled.
“Denver’s not gone, London. We have one more chance.” She placed all the liquid in the syringe. She took Denver’s arm and injected the green stuff into him. They all waited, holding their breaths. They all waited. 5 seconds…15 seconds…25 seconds…45 seconds…1 minute. Then finally, Denver’s chest started to rise and fall. London wiped her tears to see well. Was she just imagining it? No. Denver took a deep breath in and cough it all out. Everyone sighed with relief. Everyone except Greg Greenwell. London hugged Denver with all her might, crushing his weak chest. She let go and started crying again.
“Y-you’re okay, Denver, you’re okay!” He smiled.
“Yes London, I’m alright.” He looked over at Connie who had the syringe and the beaker in her hand. Denver smiled brightly at her. “Thank you Connie.” She squeezed his hand.
“You’re most welcome.” The officers grabbed Greg Greenwell.
“And you mister, are going to jail for a very long time!” They said dragging him out of the hospital. London hugged Denver once more. My brother’s back, Denver is back!
“You’re back.” She whispered in his ear. He smiled and let his head drop on his sister’s shoulder as he shed a few tears. Uncle Ned and Aunt Talia went over to hug Denver as well. While they weren’t looking, Connie walked out of the room and walked home. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, for the first time, Connie Greenwell walked home. We must inform the media about this.

Denver was kept at the hospital for a few days and was released a week later. London couldn’t be happy as Denver was sleeping on her lap. They had woken him in the morning, and Denver was clearly not a morning person. London held Denver close to her as she was afraid to lose him again. When they got home, London shook Denver awake. “Denver, we’re home.” He opened an eye.
“What?”
“Get off my lap you slug and get up.” She said laughing. Denver sat up and smiled. They both got out of the car.
“How about a special breakfast?” Aunt Talia asked, trying to hold her tears back.
“Sure.” Both kids asked.
“But this time, we are going to make it.”
“American style.” Denver added. They led their Aunt and Uncle to the kitchen and sat them down while they ran over to the fridge and got out the supplies.

After a few minutes, Denver and London were covered in pancake batter. They placed 3 pancakes on a plate with ice cream. They placed it next to their aunt and uncle.
“This is a very special breakfast,” Denver said in an Italian accent.
“This breakfast had red velvet pancakes with chocolate chips,”
“And vanilla ice cream. It is magnificent!” They took a bite and smiled.
“Wow, this is good.”
“Very good.”
“Gracias, now if you’ll excuse us, I am floating in pancake batter.” Denver said. All of them laughed as Denver ran up the stairs. London ran after him as she didn’t look better than him. They both cleaned up and sat on their beds. Denver actually collapsed on his bed. “Our first month in London was pretty amazing Right, London?”
“Amazing, I was worried out of my mind!”
“Okay then these 2 months have been the worst in my life, but one good thing came out of it.”
“What?” Denver sat up.
“Meeting Uncle Ned and Aunt Talia, of course!”
“Very true. And don’t forget your girlfriend, Connie.” Denver blushed.
“She’s not my girlfriend.” London snorted.
“Please, she visited you every minute at the hospital.” Denver rolled his eyes. DING DONG! London ran to the window to see who it was. London smiled. “Speaking of your girlfriend…” Denver looked out the window and saw Connie. She smiled as Uncle Ned and Aunt Talia invited her in.
“Quick, how does my hair look?!”
“Stupid.” She said in a Jamaican accent. Denver sighed and quickly brushed his hair with his fingers and ran to the mirror to check his hair. Someone opened the door and entered. It was Connie.
“Hi Connie!” Both sibling said.
“Hi London, Denver.” She said looking at Denver and smiling. “How are you?”
“I’m fine.” Denver responded.
“How’s your um…father doing.” London asked. Connie rolled her eyes.
“I don’t care what happens to him. He’s being sentenced to life in prison.”
“Oh, I’m so sorry.”
“Don’t be. He should rot in jail for what he did to you.” Denver smiled. “Anyway, I came to take you both for a ride to the mall.”
“Why?”
“It’s a sorry gift.”
“Connie, you have nothing to be sorry about.” Denver told her.
“I knew what happened and I didn’t tell. I kept it to myself.”
“Connie, I know that you wouldn’t let Denver die and I knew you’d come through in the end and I’m glad that you did.”
“Really?”
“Of course!” Both siblings responded. Connie wrapped them both in a hug, something that she had never done since she was 2.
“Now I’ve got to go help Aunt Talia with…something.” London said winking at Denver and ran downstairs. Denver blushed as the wink was Denver’s cue to make his move. Connie smiled.
“You wanna swing?”
“Sure.” Connie said, holding Denver’s hand and they both ran outside and sat on the swings, smiling as they saw each other.
THE END

This book has 1 comment.

Nimra BRONZE said...
Nimra BRONZE, New York, New York
An unbelieable story with an ending that will shock you all!!! A must-read book!!! :D