Edges | Teen Ink

Edges

By IssaK BRONZE, Farmington, Utah
IssaK BRONZE, Farmington, Utah

"The reason people find it so hard to be happy is that they always see the past better than it was, the present worse than it is, and the future less resolved than it will be ."

The night was clear and cool, deep in the woods Cameron took a deep breath soaking in all the surroundings. The trees, the moss, and the sound of dead leaves as they crunched under his heavy boots. As he walked toward the cottage he slowed, matching each step with the beat of his heart. A slight breeze touched the back of his neck; he heard something in his ear.
“Keep walking.” He took a slow step, and then continued forward. As he slowly got closer to the cottage his hands started to vibrate with anxiousness, it slowly climbed to his arms and the rest of his limbs with every step he took. As he neared the door his whole body was shaking, he reached his arm forward trying to grab hold of the door knob. When he had it clutched firmly in his hand he felt the breeze again.
“Open it.” As he turned the knob and opened it a crack, he jumped, his head hit his reading lamp with a crack. He groaned as he sat at the edge of his bed. Cold sweat ran down the back of his neck, and he thought he could still feel his hands vibrating. He jumped as his alarm clock rang loudly; he ripped the chord out of the wall and threw it on the ground. As he started getting up his mom knocked on the door.
“Cameron it’s almost time for school!” Cameron responded.
“Ok I’m up; I’ll be down in a second!”
Cameron threw off his shirt grabbed a washed one from his closet and ran into the bathroom, he spiked up his short hair like always and slipped on his favorite pair of faded blue jeans. He ran back to his room and grabbed some socks and his dark blue tennis shoes. As he ran down the stairs his 14 year old sister, Taylin, came out of her room still in her pajamas, her hair still in a messy bun on the top of her head, and a sick look on her face. He stopped, “You look terrible Tay, maybe you shouldn’t go to school today!”
She looked up and groaned; she ran to the bathroom, shut the door and began to vomit. Cameron grimaced and continued down the stairs.
“Hey mom I don’t think Taylin is going to school today!” His mom turned around with a questioning look.
“Why?”
Cameron sat on the living room couch and started putting on his shoes.
“She came out of her room, ran to the bathroom, and started throwing up!” his mom put his breakfast on the table and ran up the stairs to check on Taylin. He picked up his fork, and poked at his eggs. He watched the yoke run onto the rest of the plate, and started thinking about his dream. It was all a little foggy but he remembers being in the woods or something like that, the he was suddenly anxious. Something else had happened to; he thought really hard but couldn’t wrap his mind around it.
He went to go get his backpack from the couch, as he picked it up a little slip of paper fell onto the seat. He bent down to pick it up; it was brown and crinkled and looked ancient. He quickly shoved it into his pocket and ran to the bus.
As he climbed on and sat in his usual seat, the 2nd to last row, he pulled out the slip of paper and leaned toward the window to keep anyone else from seeing it. He opens it gently; on the paper is little, delicate cursive words that read:

Tomorrow after school, come to the woods and bring no one but yourself.
Zanaesha.

As Cameron looked at the crumpled piece of paper he said quietly. “Zanaesha?” As he shoved the piece of paper in his pocket his friend, Emily, came and sat next to him.
“Hey! What’s up?” She looked at Cameron with a tired expression.
“Nothing much.” He responded trying to pull a smile across his face.
“Are you okay? You don’t look so good!” she stared at him with a worried expression.
“No, I’m fine I just didn’t get enough sleep!” He responded.
Emily talked the rest of the way to school, when they got there she jumped off and ran ahead of him. As Cameron stepped out of the bus rain started to fall, leaving tiny drops on his shirt. By the time he got to the door he was completely soaked, he started walking to class but he stopped himself as he remembered the paper. He pulled it out of his pocket and smoothed out the crinkles
I should probably destroy this! He thought to himself. He went back outside and threw the small piece of paper in the mud. Nobody would be able to read it now with the mud and rain smearing the ink. He turned and ran down the hall way, by the time he made it to his locker the late bell had already rung.
“Dang it!” he grumbled as he pulled out his geometry book. He sprinted to the class room and right before he opened the door Mr. Marcellus, a tall man with dark hair and tan skin, walked out of his class room.
“Late again Cameron?” he puts on his glasses.
“Sorry sir…” Cameron looked down at his mud coated shoes. Mr. Marcellus smiled.
“No problem! I will help you get out of being late!” Mr. Marcellus yanked open the door and said in a loud voice for the entire class to hear.
“Sorry I kept Cameron so late after the bell; I have decided to take him with me on my trip!” Everybody looked shocked, including Cameron; Mr. Marcellus went on a trip to Africa every year and always choose one or two students to accompany him. Cameron turned to Mr. Marcellus and whispers to him.
“Why are you doing this?” Mr. Marcellus turned to him with a smile pulling at his lips.
“I will explain to you tomorrow after school!” Cameron stared at him dumbfounded, Mr. Marcellus just winked and walk out of the class room. Miss Lance cleared her throat, and in a croaky voice said.
“You make take you seat now Cameron!” Cameron turned toward his seat with a blank expression, his seat is all the way in the back and as he walks past everyone he can hear them whispering about him.
“Why was he chosen? He isn’t even a good student!” He wasn’t listening to anyone. As he sat in his seat he thought to himself.
Mr. Marcellus knows! Did he see the paper?
The rest of the day was a haze, all Cameron remembered is that he had a lot of homework, failed his math test, and got shoved into a locker. As Cameron was about to get on the bus, Mr. Marcellus came up behind him and called him back into the school. As Cameron slumped into a chair in his class room, a younger girl about 15, a sophomore, peeked through the door way. She had light brown hair, perfect tan skin, and bright chocolate brown eyes. Cameron stared with his mouth open, but he snapped it shut quickly. She was wearing a black sweater that fit her figure nicely, a nice pair of dark jeans, and black boots which she tucked the bottom of her jeans into. She took a few steps inside the class and she asked in a quiet voice.
“Is this Mr. Marcellus’ classroom?” Mr. Marcellus stood from his desk and said.
“Yes Amber, come right in!” As she walked in she sat next to Cameron and turned toward him. She gave him a shy smile and she said,
“Hi! I’m Amber Ramirez! What’s your name?” Cameron just stared at her for a second, and then he said,
“Cameron Malian.” She stood up and looked at him her eyes growing wide.
“You’re Cameron Malian?”
“Uuuuhh……yes.” She put a big smile on her face, and pulled out a small, old crinkled piece of paper.
“Is that what I think it is?” Cameron asked. Amber’s smile grew even bigger as she unfolded the small paper. On it was delicate cursive words that said:

Zanaesha.

Cameron looked up at Amber, she didn’t have a smile on her face anymore, and her eyes turned a serious muddy brown. She turned to Mr. Marcellus and asked with a small, but strong, voice,
“What is this? Who is this Zanaesha person?” she asked holding out the paper to him. But he put his hand up to indicate that he wasn’t going to take it.
“You should destroy that right away!” He said looking up at her. He pulled a lighter and a small metal plate out of his drawer, and then held his hand out for Amber to put the paper in his hand. She gently dropped it into his palm, and he ignited the paper. They just stood there for a while watching the note burn and slowly turn into black dust. As the last piece crumpled into ash, Mr. Marcellus grabbed the plate and put it back in his desk. Then he lifted his eyes to meet Cameron’s and he said,
“I don’t know who she is and what is going on here. All I know is that the world is in great danger, and the only ones who can stop what’s going to happen is you two!”
Cameron and Amber stared dumbfounded at each other. Amber slowly turned to Mr. Marcellus and said,
“How in the WORLD are Cameron and I going to do that? We are just two normal High School kids!” Mr. Marcellus smiled.
“Oh Amber, that is where you are wrong you and Cameron are no normal High School students. You are Sages!” Cameron’s mind went blank.
“What kind of Sages?” he asked with a confused expression.
“Sages” Mr. Marcellus started “that are a kind of legendary being, nobody knows how they came to be, they at first only lived in Italy but they soon spread to other parts of the world. Sages are part human, but that is only a SMALL fraction of their body, most of their bodies are built of the four elements: fire, water, earth, and wind.” Mr. Marcellus stopped; he stood up from his chair and walked over to his coffee pot, and poured some into his mug. He took a long, slow refreshing gulp then continued.
“When Sages first start out they are only able to control one of the elements, but as time goes on the slowly gain control of the rest.” Amber stood up.
“Wait Mr. Marcellus, so you are saying that Cameron and I are some legendary beings that have been sent to protect the world?” Mr. Marcellus looked at her.
“I guess that’s an easy way to kind of sum it up!” Amber held his gaze.
“But what are we protecting the world from?” Mr. Marcellus took a deep breath.
“Do you want to know now? Or can you wait until you are ready?” Amber paused then said,
“Continue about the Sages…” Mr. Marcellus smiled and continued.
“Sages age slower than humans when they turn about twenty. Every 100 years one or two Sages are born, Cameron you were adopted right?” Cameron looked up from where he was putting his head on the desk to see Mr. Marcellus and Amber staring at him.
“Ya I am.” He said blushing. Mr. Marcellus turned to Amber and asked,
“Amber are you adopted?” Amber glanced at Cameron for a split second and then she straightened her shoulders and flatly said,
“Yes.”
Mr. Marcellus rubbed his eyes like he had a headache.
“Have you ever met your real parents?”
“No!” they both answered in unison.
“That’s why! One of your parents was a Sage, and the day that you were born they vanished and no one knows where they went.” Amber stared with wide eyes.
“Do you think we could ever find them?” Mr. Marcellus looked at her with an amused expression.
“You and Cameron will find them one day when you have a child, and you will most likely vanish just like them. So I think we have talked enough today. I will drive you both home, we will meet here tomorrow after school to head over to the woods.” Cameron looked at him puzzled.
“But she said only me and Amber could come?” When Cameron said Amber’s name he could feel his face get hot. Mr. Marcellus answered.
“I will accompany you to the woods, and wait for your return.” He stood up without saying another word; he pulled his leather jacket off of the back of his chair and put it on while walking out the door.
Amber and Cameron walked a little behind him; Mr. Marcellus was swinging his keys on his chain while whistling some random tune. Amber turned to Cameron and asked,
“How old are you?” Cameron answered without looking at her.
“17.” He glanced at her from the corner of his eye, seeing Amber staring at him with a fascinated look. When she saw him looking she turned her head forward. Even though her long brown hair covered most of her face, he could tell she was blushing. After a while Amber finally asked,
“Cameron? What color are your eyes?”
“Green, why?” Amber stared with shocked eyes.
“For a moment I swear that they were ice blue!”

Cameron woke up with a jolt; he looked around his room rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. When his eyes were finally focused he noticed that his room looked different. Everything was a little brighter in color and it was cold in his room. He didn’t notice, until his head hurt, that he was holding his breath. He let it out in a big gasp and he could see his breath floating in front of him. It was freezing in his room; everything had a thin sheet of ice on it. He shivered and thought of warmth. As he wrapped his blanket around him the ice evaporated. He let out a sigh of relief and got out of bed; he went to his closet and pulled out a white t-shirt along with his leather jacket. He went over to his desk and pulled his jeans off of the chair, where he had left them last night. He pulled of his gray shirt and slipped on his white one, and then he pulled of his camouflage pajama pants and put on his jeans. He walked down the stairs with just his socks on, with shoes and jacket in hand.
Taylin walked out of her room, her curly dirty blond hair came down to her waist, she was wearing a white shirt with a sky blue sweater over it along with her favorite brown skirt, she had brown boots that went to the bottom of her knees and a bright blue headband with a flower attached. She had a smile on her face as she walked out of her room; she walked past Cameron and gave him a perfect smile. Cameron just remembered that last week Taylin got her braces off; he shrugged and walked down the stairs to the kitchen. His mom was pulling three bowls out of the cupboard and setting them on the table. Taylin was grabbing the different types of cereal from the other cupboard from across the room, so Cameron decided that he would go and grab the milk from the fridge. He walked over to the fridge and opened the door. As he reached for the milk he heard a small pop, like when ice is put in water. He looked and noticed that a smoky, vapor, water like material was coming from his hand. He slammed the fridge shut, and turned with his back facing it. His mother and sister stared at him with alarm.
“Cameron? Are you alright?” his mother asked taking a step towards him. Cameron looked up to see the worry in his mom’s hazel eyes, but he just painted a smile on his face and said,
“Ya mom I’m fine, I just remembered that I forgot to do my hair!” And it was true, so Cameron ran out of the kitchen and up the stairs. He closed the bathroom door and looked at himself in the mirror, he picked up his bottle of gel and spiked up his hair, and as he did he jumped back in surprise. He looked closely at himself and noticed that his usually dark green eyes, were more of a bluish green and the more he stared the lighter they got. He heard his mom call to him to come and eat his breakfast before the bus got there, so he walked down the stairs and took a few deep breaths. As he sat down Taylin grabbed her bag and headed to the Jr. High around the corner.
Cameron took a spoonful of cereal and stuck it in his mouth. He chewed slowly and then got up quickly so he wasn’t late for the bus. He put on his leather jacket and grabbed his backpack. He ran to the bus and climb on, he sat in his normal spot and closed his eyes. The engine of the bus started and went down the street for a few blocks. It stopped after a while and before he knew it Emily was sitting next to him. He opened one of his eyes to look at her, and he saw her eyes get wide. He opened both eyes and looked at her gawking face.
“What?” he asked annoyed.
“Since when have your eyes been blue?” Cameron suddenly didn’t seem annoyed his own eyes opened wide and he quickly asked her.
“Do you have a mirror?” Cameron watched as Emily fumbled with her backpack zippers and finally got the small make-up mirror out. Cameron took it from her hands and brought it up to his face. He almost screamed in shock, his eyes were a piercing ice blue that made his sandy hair look darker. He felt sick to his stomach, closed the mirror and handed it back to Emily.
“So did you get color contacts or something?” Emily asked.
“Ya something like that.” Cameron replied shutting his eyes. Emily didn’t talk the rest of the way to school, and before Cameron knew it he was getting off the bus and walking to math.
At lunch, Cameron sat alone. It was getting close to winter time, but still Cameron ate outside. He didn’t mind the cold he thought it was better than summer time. He took a big bite of his turkey sandwich and chewed it slowly.
“Hi.” A voice came behind him; he was too tired to be surprised so he turned around to see Amber waving at him from the front of the school. He sat up from where he was laying on the cool grass and waved at her. She smiled and then she started walking toward him. He sat there waiting for her, and he thought it was strange that he only met her yesterday but it seemed like he knew her from somewhere, he just couldn’t remember where.
“What are you doing out here?” she asked as she reached him, her breath wafting into the air like smoke from a fire.
“Eating.” He replied lazily.
“Cameron?” she asked. He looked at her.
“Ya?” Her eyes, that were suddenly an orangey brown color, grew wide.
“I thought you said your eyes were green!” He lay back on the grass and said,
“They were this morning! I was looking at them in the mirror and I watched them turn more and more blue by the second...Hey Amber don’t you have chocolate brown eyes?” Amber blushed.
“Well more like dark brown, but ya why?” Cameron closed his eyes and said,
“They look kind of orange mixed with brown today, like the color of autumn leaves.” She smiled.
“Ya, I kinda’ noticed this morning!” He sat up confused.
“Aren’t you worried?” she shook her head, as if she thought his question was the most ridiculous question to ask.
“No I got here early today and asked Mr. Marcellus about it!”
“And…?” Cameron sat up suddenly very curious.
Amber just shrugged, “He said it was normal, that the reason our eyes are changing is so we can control our strongest element.” Cameron’s head spun as he stood up to fast, he placed a hand against a nearby tree to steady himself.
By the time school was over, Cameron’s head was filled with thoughts of Sages and elements. He walked to Mr. Marcellus’ room with Amber; they said nothing to each other the entire time. When they got there Mr. Marcellus was sitting at his desk, casually drinking coffee. He looked up and smiled at them.
“I see your eyes are fully developed Cameron!”
“Yes sir.” Cameron replied and slumped in a chair too tired to think. Mr. Marcellus stood up and poured some coffee into another mug; he walked over and handed it to Cameron.
“Here”, he said with a smile, “this should keep you awake for a while.” Cameron took it gratefully; he took a small sip and felt his body become more awake. He took a big gulp and felt completely energized; before he knew it the mug was empty. He sighed and leaned back in his chair.
“Is this what coffee always does for you? Why haven’t I had coffee before?” Mr. Marcellus smiled at Cameron.
“Cameron that’s not coffee!” Cameron looked at him confused; he looked over at Amber who also had a mug in her hand.
“Then what is it?” She asked, “It smells like hazel nut, mixed with vanilla or something.” Mr. Marcellus winked at her, and then he turned to Cameron and said,
“It’s called Borosie; this is something that can keep people moving for days! It is a special tonic that can heal, and strengthen almost any living creature. Humans don’t know about it because they can easily get addicted to it, and it would kill them when they consumed too much!” Cameron stood up and ran his fingers through his hair, and then he said,
“Isn’t about time we go and find out who this Zaneasha person is and what she wants with us?”
As they headed to Mr. Marcellus’ car, nobody said a word. Cameron could feel the stress and excitement coming off of Amber in waves.
They all climb in his car; Mr. Marcellus was driving, Cameron sat in the passenger seat, and Amber crawled into the back. It was silent in the car, except for the soft clatters of rain falling on the car. As they got near the woods Amber couldn’t sit still, Cameron could hear her brown rain boots squeaking together. They pulled to the side of the street Cameron and Amber got out, but Mr. Marcellus stayed in the car. He rolled down the window and said to them.
“I will wait here until you come back. If there are any problems just call me” then he tossed Amber a cell phone.
“What’s your contact?” she pushed a button on the phone, “Oh wait...You’re the only contact.” She slipped the phone into her green jacket pocket and smiled at Mr. Marcellus. Mr. Marcellus smiled back.
“Well you better be heading off, come back quickly though!” Cameron turned on the heel of his hiking boots, and walked into the forest.
He stopped after a little while to turn and make sure Amber was there, he turned and Amber ran straight into him. She was so short her head hit him straight in the chest, ripping his breath away from him. She fell on the ground with a soft thud, and she seemed dazed. Cameron put his hands on his knees and took deep breaths, after a while he didn’t feel as dizzy. He straightened up and noticed that Amber was still on the ground. Her eyes looked pained; he ran over and dropped next to her.
“Are you okay?” He looked at her with urgency. She looked at him and winced.
“I think I twisted my ankle.” He stood up and offered her his hand. She took it and he slowly helped her up.
“Can you put presser on it?” She shifted her weight to her left foot but as she did he heard a loud pop. She didn’t scream, but tears were streaming down her cheeks. Cameron wrapped his arm around her thin waist and put her arm around his shoulder. He turned to her and smiled.
“Don’t worry; we will get through this together.” Amber smiled at him and took the sleeve of her jacket to wipe her face, Cameron noticed that she didn’t wear any make-up, but she was still really pretty. They inched their way through the forest, they didn’t know where they were going but Cameron felt like they were going the right way. Then as they got deeper into the forest, a big tree had fallen and blocked their way. They tried to go around it but it seemed that then couldn’t find where the tree ended. So finally they decided to go over it, Amber held on the trunk of the tree balancing on one foot, while Cameron climb over. He reached for her hand, and she grabbed it. He slowly helped her get over and when she was at the top she slid down and he caught her in his arms. They stood there for a second, neither of them saying anything. Cameron could feel his face getting hot, and he could see that Amber’s face was turning red. So he set her down gently and they continued limping their way toward the heart of the forest.
After a while Amber’s limp got worse, because of all the rocks, and things to trip on scattered on the forest floor. Suddenly she fell from his grasp and crumpled on the ground, she started muttering and gasping that she couldn’t breathe. She was putting her hands against her lungs, trying to take deep breaths. Cameron was in a panic, he couldn’t think!
WHAT ARE YOU DOING JUST STANDING HERE IDIOT! HELP HER! Cameron screamed at himself in his mind. Amber had calmed down and was taking a tiny sip of water from her water bottle, which was in her bag. He stepped closer.
“Do you feel alright now? Can you stand?” Amber stared up at him, and smiled like nothing was wrong.
“Ya, I’m fine thanks for worrying about me.” Cameron straightened up and he felt his face get hot, he shot a shy smile back at her, his shaggy bangs falling into his eyes. He didn’t offer to help her up this time; he just bent down and grabbed her in his arms. He made sure he held firmly so she didn’t fall, but softly to so he didn’t hurt her.
“Cameron what are you…?” Amber protested, but she stopped when Cameron’s face was inches from hers.
“Don’t worry about it! Like I said, we have to get through this together.” Then he winked and started walking.
Cameron was having a battle in his mind as he walked.
That was the stupidest thing to say! And why did I wink? That was creepy! I bet she thinks I’m a creep now! He looked at her from the corner of his eye, she looked a little uncomfortable in his arms but other than that she seemed normal, besides the red slowly creeping from her face and back again. He smiled to himself, and then he stopped.
“Cameron? What’s the matter?” Amber stared at him with concern. He didn’t realize until she said that that his eyes were wide with shock. He slowly set her on her good foot, and held her close to him.
“What is it?” She asked in a timid voice, staring up at him. He finally responded.
“I-I’ve been here before!” She seemed shocked.
“Why would you come here before, nobody is supposed to be here the forest is crawling with bears and wolves.”
Then as if on cue, an enormous white wolf, with a long black strip going down its back, crawled out of the bushed to the left of them. Cameron stood in front of Amber thinking for a second that he could protect her. Then the beast showed its row of large, sharp teeth, Cameron grimaced taking a step back in fear. The wolf stared at them, with its shiny gray eyes. It suddenly made a strange sound from its throat, almost like a half growl, half choking noise. Amber stepped in front of Cameron to face the wolf. She stared half dumb founded.
“Is it laughing?” She asked puzzled.
“What?” Cameron exclaimed, but as he listened the noise did sound like a strange laugh.
The wolf limped off into the bushes again.
“Oh it’s hurt!” Amber exclaimed point at its right hind leg. Cameron looked; he saw the wolf’s leg had a strange shape, like it was twisted like a piece of clay. Amber took a step closer to help the wolf, but it growled as if to say,
“Do not take pity on me, for I was born this way! But I am still as strong as any other wolf”. But then he realized he could understand the wolf, and obviously so could Amber. She stepped back and the wolf growled saying,
“Wait here, I will be right back.” They waited a few seconds, then a girl about 21, walked into the clearing. She was wearing a white, long sleeved, shirt with a black vest that seemed to be covered in some kind of fur, and her pale skin was smudged with dirt, while her black hair blew in her face from the dying wind. She was wearing black caprices, and her leather boot went to the place where her pant leg stopped.
Why is she only wearing one boot? Cameron thought to himself, but then he noticed the one leg that wasn’t wearing a boot, had a short shoe almost a sock on the foot. But the leg its self was twisted. She carried a simple stick that went to her waist, but it had a handle perfect for her to keep balance on her good foot. She smiled sweetly, but her gray eyes were still fierce. Then she said with a slight British accent.
“Hullo, my name is Zaneasha!” Her eyes lightened, “I have been expecting you!”

Cameron and Amber stared at the wolf girl, but Zaneasha just smiled at them and motioned them forward. Cameron felt like he was being pulled toward her, like she was a very important part of his life. Each step she took, Cameron matched it. They walked deeper in the woods, and then they came into a clearing. Cameron stopped; he felt anxiousness climb through his arms. His breath came out in rasps, and before he knew it Amber was next to him.
“Cameron? What’s wrong?” she asked with a nervous glance at Zaneasha.
“I’ve been here before…in a dream!” Cameron replied. Zaneasha looked surprised.
“You have?” with her accent suddenly sounding more German. Cameron just nodded, then Zaneasha got an annoyed look on her face. She turned to the nearest bush and said,
“Benji! Come out now I can hear you breathing!” A tiny silver fox crept out of the bush, his black ears were tight around his head and his black and white tale made a swishing noise as it brushed the ground. He brushed his muzzle against Zaneasha’s injured leg, and then leapt to her shoulder. He curled his tail around her neck like a scarf and laid his body across both her shoulders.
She stroked his muzzle.
“This is my little brother Benji, and he is about 14.” Amber walked closer to Zaneasha; she reached her hand out carefully. Benji sniffed it, and then laid his head back down, closing his eyes.
“Benji go transform and say hello to our new friends.” Benji lifted himself to his feet, then he shifted himself so he was sitting on one of Zaneasha’s shoulders, he stared at Amber for a minute with his yellow eyes glowing. Then he leapt of off her shoulder, and sprinted into the woods. Zaneasha turned to Amber and smiled.
“He seems to like you!” Amber blushed.
“You think so?”
After a few minutes a small boy walked into the clearing, He was wearing a short sleeved gray shirt and long black pants. He had normal black tennis shoes, and his yellowish orange eyes seemed to glow in the dying light of the sun. He smiled warmly at his sister and walked to her side. His glowing eyes simply passed over Cameron, and went straight to Amber. Their eyes met, and she turned away blushing. He smiled at her, then turned to Zaneasha and whispered something in her ear. She nodded and turned.
“Follow us!” She waved her hand forward for them to follow. They both walked with her, Amber more limping but still they followed.
They walked toward the cottage and Cameron could feel the anxiousness climbing through his body, his head felt dizzy from all the imagines of his dream coming back to his mind. It was like walking in his dream. He noticed all the smallest things, his breath coming short and fast, and his heavy footsteps crushing the leaves in his way. They reached the cottage and Cameron put a hand on the wall to keep him from falling over, he looked up to see Benji standing next to Amber smiling and talking with her. His voice was very low for a teenage boy, his milk chocolate skin was the complete different of his sister’s creamy white skin. His smile was warm to Amber, but every time he saw Cameron staring at him he would scowl and turn away from Amber.
They all crowded into the small cottage, it had a low ceiling. It had a small wooden table with two chairs, and a big pile of blankets in the corner, Cameron guessed that it was where they slept. The inside smelt like dust with a light scent of flowers. A small fire was burning but it still warmed the cottage nicely. Cameron put his hands to his mouth, rubbing and blowing, trying to make the numbness go away. Amber walked over and grabbed his hands and started to rub them. She looked up and smiled at him, he smiled back and she let go of his hands. Benji walked over to Cameron and stuck his hand out; Cameron stared at it for a second, until he realized what Benji was trying to do. Cameron fit his large hand over Benji’s and shook, Benji smiled slightly never taking his serious eyes off of Cameron. Zaneasha called Benji to come stand by her, Benji walked over and leaned against the wall close to his sister.
“Please take a seat” Zaneasha told them both with her sudden light French accent.
They both took a seat in the two chairs and waited, Benji stood up from leaning against the wall. He smiled and lifted his right hand; in it was a delicate gold chain. Dangling at the bottom of the chain was a blood read ruby in the shape of a heart. Zaneasha lifted her left hand, she held a simple black string, and hanging at the end of it was an ice blue crystal.
Benji walked up to Amber, he unhooked the delicate chain and put it around her neck. He whispered to her, but loud enough that Cameron and Zaneasha could hear to.
“A heart shaped ruby, for your fiery heart!” He kissed her on the forehead and walked back to the wall. Zaneasha walked over to Cameron and he stood, the top of her head went to her chin but she made sure her serious gray eyes met his. She slipped the rope around his neck and said,
“A water crystal dagger, for your sharp mind!” She kissed him on both cheeks and walked back to Benji’s side. Benji turned to Cameron and in his strangely accented tone he asked,
“Cameron, would you go grab that box on the table!” Then he turned to Amber and said a little nicer.
“Would you please open the box Amber?” Amber just nodded and walked over to Cameron. She laid her tiny hand across the lid, and lightly tugged at it, but it didn’t open. Her eye brows ruffled together as she yanked it again, it again didn’t open.
She let out a breath of annoyance, but Benji and Zanesha just smiled at her sweetly. She closed her eyes and started chanting in some weird language.
“Aprite, aprite, aprite. APERTO!” There was a small click, and Benji’s and Zanesha’s eyes shown with amazement. Amber’s eyes grew wide as she realized what she did. But she studied to small objects that she held in her hand, Cameron leaned in to take a look at what they were. One was a delicate gold chain just like Amber’s but at the end of it was an emerald incased in silver. The silver sparkled in the dying sun and it was actually in the shape of a sun. The other object in Amber’s hand was another necklace; this one was a sturdy silver chain. The charm attached to it was silver, and in the shape of a key, at the top it had a small yellow sapphire that was the same color as Benji’s eyes.
Zanesha walked over to them and put her hands on their shoulders.
“You must find them.” They both opened their mouths to question her but before they could the moon had risen. Zanesha’s eyes grew wide, and she started to shiver violently. She bore her suddenly sharp teeth at them, and her nails dug into Cameron’s shirt and Amber screamed in pain/ Cameron pushed Zanesha back with as much force as he could, the now half wolf girl slammed into the opposite wall making the house shudder. Zanesha’s body grew hair, and her arms and legs transformed into four enormous paws. The only thing that stayed the same about her was her eyes, which gleamed with intelligence beyond normal humans. She let out a howl of agony as the rest of her body transformed; she fell to the ground from putting pressure on her right hind leg. Benji, who was still in his human form, stood by with wide eyes at the event. Then her grabbed them both by the arm and shoved them out the door.
“Run!” He screamed, “Get to the end of the forest before…” But he was cut off when his older sister slammed him into the door. A sickly snap echoed in Cameron’s mind as they ran, he could hear the padding of heavy paws on the ground coming to close for comfort. As Cameron ran he thought to himself.
All my life I have had to run from everything, my birth mother, my adopted father, and even my friends. I can’t keep doing this! Cameron screamed in his mind, and then he pulled up short and turned to face Zanesha.
She slammed into his body, sending him flying. He flipped backwards and landed on his knees, pain shot through his body from the impact of the hit. Zanesha howled her wolf laugh, and turned to the wide eyed Amber. Cameron was angry now! He stood up and ran towards the wolf with as much speed at he could, he rammed his shoulder into the wolf’s side. She rolled over barely, but quickly regained her balance.
Before the wolf could lung she was engulfed in a wall of fire, Cameron looked at the enormous wolf burning. Burning! Zanesha was burning! He couldn’t let her burn, he looked towards where the flames came and saw Amber moving her arms and hands in jerking, yet flowing motions…like fire.
“AMBER! STOP!” Cameron screamed, she opened her eyes and screamed as she saw the wolf. Cameron was in a panic, he thought to try to make the same jerking motions as Amber. He tried. Nothing happened.
He couldn’t do anything to save her! Cameron closed his eyes, and before he knew it he was engulfed in a very strange power. It was cool as the ocean, and flowed through his body. Cameron could feel his arms moving in a flowing, rhythmic motion. Then he opened his eyes, he was in a room. It was pitch black, except for a glowing blue orb floating two steps in front of him. He reached, and grabbed it. The power inside of him exploded. He was back in the forest, and water was covering his body. He moved his hands, the water moved. He shot his hand forward towards Zanesha and the water flew at her.
The fire extinguished with a hiss, but the wolf didn’t move. Cameron crossed his arms, and then pulled them apart with a sharp jerk; the water surrounding his body disappeared. Amber was crying, when she saw the steaming wolf. Cameron took a slow step towards her, and he could see her ear twitch.
A small fox burst from the bushes, and ran in front of him. It was Benji. Blood streamed from the foxes head, and he stumbled a few times before reaching them. Cameron watched as the smoking wolf started to shrink. The hair disappeared and a young girl was lying in the grass in its place. She groaned, and Cameron was overwhelmed with a flood of relief. She was alive!
Benji brushed his muzzle over Zanesha’s burns, which started at her jaw line, and crawled down her side until it stopped at her calf. Amber ran over to her and grabbed her hands, she was crying. Crying to Zanesha that she would forgive her for what she did to her. Zanesha just smiled at her, as if she liked this small girl begging in front of her.
Cameron walked over and placed his hands on Amber’s shoulders.
“Amber, let me see your backpack.” Amber slipped it off her shoulders, and handed it to Cameron. Cameron rummaged through it for a while until he found what he was looking for, a canteen full of a warm liquid. He opened it, and was immediately smothered in smells of hazel nut, and vanilla. Borosie.
“Zanesha drink this!” Cameron held the canteen up to her lips. Zanesha sniffed at the liquid and smiled, she gulped it all in three mouthfuls.
Cameron noticed that immediately the scars on Zanesha’s calf started to vanish, it climb up through the burn until the skin was a light pink color. Zanesha looked brand new, except for her leg was still twisted strangely. Zanesha smiled and Cameron helped her up, her cane was still at the cottage so Amber went to find a long stick for her to use. When Amber came back, Benji had transformed into a human, and was helping Zanesha sit down.
“Isn’t it about time you two went home?” Zanesha said with a smile. She lifted her hand, and snapped her fingers. Cameron’s world went black.