New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

Finnick Odair "All in the Lust of a Trident"

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next »

The Reaping

I have this certain kinda mind trick that I use on Reaping day. Ive taught it to Rescele too. Keep a smile on your face no matter what happens and it don't seem as scary. Its worked every other year so I stick with it. We are stopped at a gate where girls keep staring at me and talking about the Odairs. So I flash them a smile and send them a wink and they start giggling and go off to find they're friends.

"Age?" a lady dressed in white asks Rescele.

She just smiles and says "nine" they lead her to a "Before Reaping Age" area.

"Age?" the lady asks me.

"Fourteen" I say with a smile. She sends me to the Reaping check in. They prick my finger and press the blood into a ledger. I watch as the scanner information pops up. ODAIR,FINNICK14YO they release me and I go to find my friends.

"Look at the mer-man now!" Foster Chilli says as I walk up.

The sight of me makes Kimmie Refegre and this blond start giggling.

"Not a mer-man, I'm more of a...a...an awesome looking sea star" This brightens the mood.

"Whatever Odair, I heard there was a new escort, so if one of us gets put on the train some major pranking has to happen" Foster jokes.

I look at the stage, looks as if they're about to start. Trinity Everglass is the escort and he bounds on stage looking bright and colorful.

"WELCOME!" he yells with enthusiasm. "You know how this goes, so lets play the clip now!" he excitedly yells. The video starts and I tune it out. Ive learned to do that in two years.

About 10 minutes later Trinity's voice calls out and I tune back in "Pepper Featherstone!" She comes from the 18 year old kids. She’s tall, she had what looked like shimmering gold hair, her eyes were like an emerald green which really threw me off. She was crying. "Now let’s go select the male, shall we?" he skips over to the boys globe. His arm jitterly falls into the globe. He pulls it out but instead of one paper, he pulls three. "Oh looks like Ive pulled too many!" I look to see if there’s any careers. Nope. Trinity select the middle name and opens the it. Who’s it gonna be?

"Finnick Odair!"