Mountain Sound | Teen Ink

Mountain Sound

By Argo_ BRONZE, Auburn, New York
Argo_ BRONZE, Auburn, New York

The world contains within it many alluring and magnificent views that can leave a man
utterly speechless and with an insufferable sense of astonishment, which may make one question
their purpose in such a large world. There is a great amount of diversity in which this awe can be
inspired, whether it be a jagged mountain range powdered with pristine white snow, or a vast
expanse of sweltering desert, the effect it has on a person is a common trend. America holds
many of the aforementioned landscapes, which play an integral role in defining a multitude of
perceptions of America, so it would be appropriate to say the landscapes of America are an
essential part of the American experience.

My personal experience provides me with a distinct image of what America’s essence is;
that of a view of the Adirondacks from the apex of one of the many summits in the area. An
expansive, bright blue sky is dotted with soft clouds and meets the peaks of stony-grey
mountains on the horizon. At the base of these summits lies great forests that appear as a
composite of various green and brown hues that flow and come alive with every gust of wind.
Atop the mountain, the thin air bustles around one rapidly, and blow a person’s hair alongside
any unsecured objects about, making them dance in the ever shifting breeze. The dizzying
heights cause the distant world below to spin, and one thinks to themselves that they have seen
the epitome of beauty. They would be mistaken.

One is always more focused on the rewards of reaching the destination rather than taking
in the humble and relatively miniscule beauties of the journey. The undertaking of reaching one
of these summits requires large treks through various settings, each with their own specialties to
offer. The entrance of the mountain trail seems to be an impassable wall of trees as you go from
the open fields of the park into the woods. Soaring maple and aspen trees reach high up and form a waving roof of leaves and casts filtered light downwards onto the forest floor. The rustling of
leaves echo throughout the encompassing area and deafens you, despite being a gentle sound, as
it is the only sound to be heard when standing perfectly still. As a person walks with dried leaves
and other flora crunching beneath one’s feet, one can easily stumble across a stream that trickles
about the rocks and meanders through the terrain. Looking through the slim trees, you can see
the immense amount of space these woods take up, and each miniscule part has its own elegance
to behold.

The small towns in this area dominated by rugged mountains are also a vital part of what
encapsulates America. The wooden buildings seem to be afraid to rise too high and huddle close
to the ground. Gift shops are as abundant on the leaves on trees, and the fresh scent of pine can
be smelt even in the most developed parts of these towns. Colorful advertisements for fishing
bait or helicopter tours are strewn about the area so that any service you could imagine can
theoretically be found simply by looking around for a few moments. Conversations can be heard
from restaurants with the aroma of cooked food intermingling with the sound of neighbors
conversing about their everyday lives, providing a strong sense of a comradery and
demonstrating the closeness of the community. These people have seen the country at its most
bare form and experienced many things modern life doesn’t allow to be experienced, and it is
this essence of a pioneering spirit that make the Adirondack mountains a quintessential part of
the American experience.

When I was growing up I spent much of my time in the outdoors and doing activities such as hiking and camping in upstate New York where I was raised. I found it fitting to write a descriptive piece on the outdoors when tasked with an essay in my English class.