Holi In Dehrod | Teen Ink

Holi In Dehrod

Every individual celebrates cultural holidays and festivities in unique ways. My family has many decedents and relatives living in India. We took a trip to visit India recently and celebrated a holiday known as Holi. Holi is an annual festival celebrated on the day after the full moon in the Hindu month of Phalguna (early March). It celebrates spring, commemorates numerous events in Hindu mythology and is time of forget social norms and indulging in general jollification. Holi is probably one if the least religious of all Hindu holidays. During Holi, Hindus attend public bonfires, spray friends and family with all kinds of dye, and generally go a bit wild in the streets. Well in my village we celebrate a little bit differently. First of we pray in the temple and ask for blessings from our gods. Then we attend a village bonfire where all kinds of rituals are performed. Not long after does all of the fun begin. Everyone gets dressed in white clothing and begin filling buckets with dye. Then the shotgun goes off. All go wild. People are spraying their dye carelessly with no worries. Everyone is having a fun time enjoying their selves. The festivities go on for hours and hours. After the festivities came to an end I was drenched in color. I then sat down and thought to myself, this is probably one of the most exciting times I have ever had. Then we rejoiced with the village and ate together and just celebrated the occasion. If I had a chance to go to the Holi Festival again I would.

I hope you get out of this piece that all cultures have different and unique ways of celebrating their occasions. So the next time you celebrate remember that every culture is DIFFERENT.