Dias de los Muertos | Teen Ink

Dias de los Muertos

By Lydia Corwin BRONZE, Keller, Texas
Lydia Corwin BRONZE, Keller, Texas

While we, in American celebrate Halloween on October 31, in Mexico, on November 1 and 2, we celebrate Dias de los Muertos, also known as day of the dead. Unlike Halloween though, Dias de los Muertos is a way to celebrate the dead. It is believed that on these days the spirits rise from their graves and walk amongst the living. Day of the dead is an event to remember the dead and deceased.

On the 1st of November is usually used to celebrate the deceased children and the 2nd is used to celebrate the adults. We leave toys on the little one’s graves and alcohol on the Adults.
On Dias de los Muertos, the people dress up as ghouls and goblins and travel to the graveyard. In the graveyard they leave flowers, food and other treasures on the graves to celebrate the dead. Then everyone will stay in the graveyard, dancing, eating and having a good time until the next day.

The celebration of Dias de los Muertos comes from the Aztecs. The Aztecs believed that death wasn’t something to be sad about but to celebrate. They would keep skulls to honor the dead, build altars, decorated with flowers, food and pictures and they’d throw parties in the graveyard.

Still today, the basis for Day of the Dead is welcoming back the dead.