What Comes After | Teen Ink

What Comes After

What Comes After

What happens after death? This is a question asked a lot by those looking into religion, going through grief, or people that are simply curious about the unknown. It is helpful to look to religion as a sort of way to get many different views where we can then compare and contrast. I would like to help you answer some of your questions, or at least give some ideas so you can formulate your own.

First, I would like to start with Christianity, one of the world's more popular religions. A Lot of us are already at least slightly familiar with this one, however, it is still important to unpack their afterlife views as well. These ideas are similar to Judaism, but have more information on the after death experience. Although Christiany has many forms and different sets of beliefs I am just going to be quickly summarizing some main beliefs. 

Christians believe that once one dies, the body and soul reunite, however there is a difference between natural and physical body. The physical body is the body one has lived in their entire life, said to be the instrument of the soul. The natural body is more like the spirit that is the true essence of a person. After death, one meets God and is judged based on the decisions they made throughout their life. If they are accepted by God, they will go on to Heaven, a light, good, and happy cloud dwelling. Heaven is said to be high up in the sky in paradise alongside God. He is described as very forgiving so long as one repents and/or confesses to their sins, they will most likely not have a problem getting into Heaven. 

On the flip side, quite literally, is Hell, a place one is sent if they are not accepted by God, or didn’t repent for their sins. This place is a lot less comfortable than Heaven and is pictured to be fiery and barren. This not-so-pleasant place is run by the Devil himself, but some don’t agree with the contrast of a forgiving God and Hell. If you are experiencing loss of a loved one, picturing these places may make the grief lessen. One can believe their loved one went to Heaven and is relaxing in paradise with any of their wants fulfilled. All in all, Christianitty believes in judgment and eternal holding places whether good or bad based on their actions in their lives. 

Next, is Hinduism. Hinduism's beliefs revolve around reincarnation and a soul living many lives, this process is called Samsara. Hindus neither look forward to nor fear death, it is seen as more of a journey than an ending. Hinduism is similar to Christianiny in the way that actions during life help determine how the afterlife goes. For example, karma from a past life determines aspects of the next. 

After one lives their life out, they are stuck in a waiting period between lives, and this replaces Heaven and Hell. Their next life, dependent on their last life choices, is chosen and this cycle keeps repeating itself. The cycle stops when one overcomes desires and ignorance according to BBC Religion. Once this is achieved, they reach Moksha, the end goal that ends their rebirth cycle. This then leads to Nirvana, a very peaceful resting place. It is here that Hindus are united with the atman, each person’s soul in its purest form, and a oneness with God is fulfilled. This place is very similar to Heaven in the way that it is a highly sought after paradise. 

In contrast to Christianity, there is no Hell or Satan and instead of an eternal torture, each person can endure personal hells such as hate, anger, and jealousy. These “Hells” are temporary, not physical, and can be overcome. This helps them to instead learn from their mistakes and eventually make their way to Nirvana via positive karma regardless. If you are looking for closure of a loved one and are considering this religion, one can imagine they are reliving lives, or have already arrived in Nirvana. It is important to remember that the Hindu word for death, mahaaprasthaana, directly translates to The Great Journey, and that death is viewed as just a part of life. In conclusion to Hinduism, This religion is very forgiving and works towards bettering yourself to reach an end goal of Nirvana

Finally, is Islam. After death, family and other muslims hold a Ghusl, a death purification ritual. This will then lead to a Janazah, a final prayer ceremony honoring the dead. Following this, their loved one is then buried alone 6 feet under similar to most religions and funeral practices. The subject now enters the life after death experience, also known as the Akhira. There is now a waiting period where the subject is stuck in a sort of in-between called the Barzakh. 

Two angels by the names of Munkar and Nakir will raise them from their graves when they visit and ask these questions; “Who is your Lord? Who is your Prophet? And what is your faith?” According to Muslimaid.org. Decident on these answers, they will either let the subject go back to sleep until they are judged by Allah, or endure punishment by the angels until then. At judgment, they are put before Allah who decides when death comes for everyone. Based on the good deeds of your life, you are either sent to Jannah, a paradise made to reward those for good deeds. The other option would be Jahannam, an opposite reflection of Jannah, a place made for punishment of bad deeds. People with islam belifs try to not be scared of death, but instead view it as a test or chance to do as many good deeds as possible and end up in their “real home” of the afterlife. If you are dealing with grief it is important to remember that Allah is seen as a very forgiving god, and it is safe to say that your loved one most likely went to Jahannam. 

In conclusion, I hope these views helped you formulate your own ideas, or even helped you pick a favorite and look into it a little more. Whatever the case, religion can be helpful in imagining where those that have passed reside now and it is good in general to be knowledgeable of different views that may differ from your own.