Stitches | Teen Ink

Stitches

October 9, 2016
By Dscott24 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
Dscott24 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

When a bat hits you in the head you are probably going to need stitches.It was a couple of weeks before the first day of school and I had to get stitches for trying to learn how to play baseball. My mom was at work so she her friend Helen was watching me and my brother for the day. We were outside playing baseball and that is when it all occurred.

I was trying to bat but I didn’t really know how to because I had never played baseball before. So Helen’s son Jacob who had been playing baseball since tee ball was trying to show me how to bat. My brother was on her porch watching the whole thing happen. Anyway Jacob said stand over here and watch me I said okay but I was standing too close and when he swung BAM it hit me right in the head. It knocked me out as soon as it made contact with my head but I wasn’t out for long. When I got up my brother was trying to fight Jacob then when I stood up I tried to walked and I stumbled and almost feel. Then I put my hand on my head and it hurt so I took it off of my head and looked at it and it was covered in blood. That’s when I started crying and Helen took me inside and put these clear stripes on my head that stopped the bleeding. By the time she got done with that everyone was inside yelling and crying and asking if I was okay.l

When she called my mom she told that I might need stitches because I got hit with baseball bat and my mom said let me finish my paperwork and I will be right there don’t let him go to sleep. When my mom walked in the door she said it was like a circus in there, she said everyone was inside running around Jacob was crying because he felt bad for hitting me with the bat. Helen wouldn’t let me leave the bathroom because the stripes didn’t completely stop the bleeding and she didn’t want me to get blood on anything. So she was back and forth from me to the kids in the living room she tell them to calm down and sit down and she asked me a million times if i was okay. My mom said when I walked in I had a smile on my face and I was happy to see her. She said I was happy to show her that I got another boo boo. So didn’t know if she should take me to the hospital or not but she did just in case and i'm glad she did because i needed stitches.

When we got to the hospital my dad was already there and they were talking to the nurses that were at the front desk and they told us to go sit down in the waiting room. We were sitting in the waiting room for like an hour or two before anything happened. I was playing the the stuff that was in the waiting room then my head started to bleed again then my mom told me to sit down and calm down. When I sat down I tried to fall asleep and they told me that I couldn’t fall asleep but i kept trying to and they had to shake me to keep me awake. After we sat there for a while they took all of us into a room where they were going to put stitches into my head. I didn’t really know what was happening all I knew is that I was laying on a table and a doctor and a nurse were standing over me and my and everyone else was sitting over on the wall. Then the doctor said we have to put stitches in your head tell me if it hurts and I’ll do my best to try and ease the pain. He started put the first one in and it kind of put me in shock because i didn’t really think it would hurt as much as it did. When i told him it hurt he put water on my head and that didn’t really help so I started to cry. It felt like I was in there forever and my dad and brother couldn’t take it anymore and they had to wait outside. When I was finally done at the hospital i went home and finally got to sleep.

When someone is swinging a bat in front of you the you should probably get out of the way. Getting stitches hurts but getting hit in the head with a bat hurts more. But if you have a head as hard as mine you should be fine it might hurt a little bit but you’ll survive.


The author's comments:

Be careful when playing sports.