How My Second Chance Changed My Life | Teen Ink

How My Second Chance Changed My Life

By CamCausey BRONZE, Napa, California
CamCausey BRONZE, Napa, California

I have always believed in giving second chances, it just seems like the right thing to do. Having only one chance, doesn’t seem like enough to me. If we were only given a single chance in anything, life would be miserable. I believe that it is good to give second chances, but it is amazing when you get one too.

My second chance came when I moved to a new karate school where I am pushed to reach for my goals. I first started doing karate when I was five years old, and I have done it for nine years. After years of training, I finally got my brown belt when I was twelve years old. I spent each class planning and practicing for my black belt promotion, but that all stopped when I was out for four months due to injuries.

When I came back, no time was spent towards my promotion and eventually it became an “if we have time” situation. One class, I had to go to my instructor's office and he wasn’t very happy. He said he felt like I wasn’t trying hard enough to get my black belt, so he wanted me to spend extra time after each class to work towards it, but we never did. For the next few weeks, I came home super upset because of all the stress and frustration that my instructor was causing me. He became less constructive and more critical with me, showing little faith in me. I no longer felt happy with myself. Every time he mentioned how I was a failure and that there was no hope left for me, every single part of me wanted to give up and never do karate again.

It was EXTREMELY hard for me to quit. He was like family to me. HE PRACTICALLY RAISED ME SINCE I WAS FIVE! I knew I was unhappy at my old school, and part of me was glad that I quit. I couldn’t take the hurtful remarks anymore. I was done. I finally sat down with my parents and we had an endless conversation about karate. They said they knew how unhappy I was and found a new school just down the street from us, and I was excited. I eagerly wanted to get back in the sport. Karate was part of my life. I couldn't just let it go. Part of me didn’t want to leave the table. I was afraid that the same thing would happen to me again, but I went anyways to please my parents. They knew how bad I wanted back in, they were just trying to help.
The following week I went to the new school and I was anxious. I reeeeally wanted this to go well. AND IT DID!!! I sat down with the instructors and talked to them about how I wanted to continue my training. They were more than supportive, they were encouraging me to continue! They completely understood! After all, karate was a HUGE part of their life too. They knew just as well as I did that it is almost impossible to let go of.

On my first day there,  my instructors and my new class members welcomed me in with open arms. The whole environment was built on kindness and positive reinforcement. This group of people in a matter of months had made me a better person. They taught me to be more respectful to others and they made me a stronger individual. This second chance changed me. I am no longer the same girl who spoke her mind only in her head and planned how I would defend myself to others, but never actually do it. I now know that I need to speak up for myself if others think less of me. And most importantly, I know that this new group of amazing people is more than just people I train with, they are people who I can always go to if I need support, or if I just need someone to talk to.

I now know that things can go wrong. For some people, it is worse than others, but that doesn’t mean you should give up hope. Quitting at something that goes wrong, is a part of life. Whether it be a relationship or a sport, your second chance is out there waiting for you. Second chances do exist and they can make you a better person. If there is ever a time where you are questioning if your second chance is really out there, remember to believe in second chances. Everyone deserves to have something special in their life go right. This I believe.   <3