Football Managing | Teen Ink

Football Managing

March 20, 2015
By Anonymous

During the summer, I spend two months with smelly, disrespectful boys. But it’s my favorite activity to do during the summer. I spend my day walking back and forth on a practice field just to make sure the fifty plus boys get water to stay hydrated. People may think that myself and two other girls do this because we want to hang out with boys all day. They are completely wrong. I do this because I didn’t know anything about the sport of football, but now I do since it is going on my fourth year of managing. I didn’t know what the difference between what a linebacker and a lineman was until now, or even what plays mean. Since my official title is football manager, I give water to my group, which is assigned to me at the beginning of the season. When the games start, I have to hand scrub fifty jerseys, fifty pants, and sometimes that is doubled. I also stand out on the sidelines behind the tall guys, and being prepared to when the couch says “water!” Sometimes we don’t hear him, and we get yelled at. But we know it was just the stress of the game because once the game is over, couch apologies to us. On Thursdays, we have team dinners. Which means the whole team, managers, cheerleaders, and everyone’s parents get together in the school cafeteria and just have a meal together to prepare for the Friday night game. The other girls and I had some problems my Freshman and Sophomore year, which made us have a lot of drama. We eventually worked through it, and now we just love hanging out together for four months of the year. Some people might call me crazy and weird because I like doing what I am doing there, but I call it exciting and fun.