Privilege | Teen Ink

Privilege

You open the door and are met with the sweet smell of stained wood. You start lacing your shoes just like you have millions of times, but this is different. This time it isn’t for practice or a pick-up game. This, this is for the big game. The sweet sixteen.

You thought it was cool that you had a carpeted locker room. Little did you know how big the arena was or how many people were there watching you. You are The freshman. The one lone freshman. The one freshman with the “privilege” of playing up with varsity. The freshman with the “privilege” of being scared out of your mind and nervous as hell. You step on to the court and realize that you are here for a reason. You are good. That dream is soon squashed during warm ups as you miss every shot that you take and you see how tall the other team is. The announcer says your last name wrong just like every other time. It brings you back down to earth. This is just like any other game you have played. God….. Who are you kidding? The game starts and you are just where you want to be. On the bench. Your heart is currently sitting on your tongue enjoying the view of the game. Coach walks down the bench. Puts his hand on your shoulder and looks you in the eye. “It’s go time.” Well duh. You sub in for the best player and then slowly realize that now you have to take her spot. The girl who averages 17 points and 5 rebounds a game. Great. Your so nervous. You swallow your heart and run to play defense. Your palms are experiencing a wetness that can’t be dried, despite your best efforts. Will you be able to catch the ball? You see it in her eyes. She is looking right at you. She passes the ball. You see it flying and know its all you. You reach out and surprisingly catch it with ease. But then you freeze. Move! After yelling and having your heart climb back up you move and go right to the basket. Throw up a prayer……. You don’t want to look. The buzzer goes off. You look at your feet and see that your on the 3 point line. Look up and see your teammates are running towards you about to jump on you. You can’t believe it. All those early morning practices paid off. All those blisters and sprained ankles. It was all worth going through for this one moment. But you remind yourself…… It’s only the first half.

AuntCo said...
on Aug. 14 2008 at 4:33 pm
This is a wonderful article. She put me right there with her during her experience. Keep up the good work!!