Why Youth Sports Are Important | Teen Ink

Why Youth Sports Are Important

February 27, 2015
By junonia SILVER, Waukee, Iowa
junonia SILVER, Waukee, Iowa
5 articles 2 photos 5 comments

A six-year old boy just scored his first goal ever in a youth soccer game.  He jumps up and down and waves at his parents who are sitting on the sideline.  This is something that children can experience when learning a sport.  Children who play sports can receive many benefits from it.  Participation in sports helps children exercise their bodies and their brains.  Playing sports also keeps youth off video games and builds social skills.

Technology seems to overrun everything that young people do these days.  Whether it is the latest app or a new video game, children seem to be on electronics all the time.  Getting children to participate in sports is a great way to get them off their phones.  Sitting in one spot all the time is not healthy.  After school is the time they need to be getting active.  Sports is a fun way to get active; and it is not on a screen!
 
Playing sports helps children spend their time better.  Some studies show that children spend 7.5 hours on electronics daily.  Going outside and playing sports would cut into that time.  Other studies show that youth that play sports tend to get better grades.


Playing sports teaches children many social skills.  They will communicate with teammates their age and coaches who are older than them.  Sportsmanship and character will also be taught while playing.  These social skills will greatly benefit them the rest of their life.  Sports can also help children’s self-esteem.  They will undoubtedly get praise and encouragement from parents and coaches.

Sports help children and teens stay fit and healthy.  Obesity has become a problem in the US.  Children who play sports are a lot less likely to be overweight.  Many sports require a lot of physical work that burns calories and builds strength.  Some sports like golf and tennis can be played throughout adulthood also.  They will benefit from the physical activity their whole life. 


The benefits that children get from playing sports are endless.  Sports help children stay healthy and spend their time more wisely.  It also helps them make friendships and build confidence.  We cannot let technology replace something like sports.