My Run | Teen Ink

My Run

By GirlinNike BRONZE, Tempe, Arizona
GirlinNike BRONZE, Tempe, Arizona

A year ago, when someone asked me why I run I would answer, “To keep in shape” without thinking twice about it. I didn’t run because I loved it, I ran because science told me I needed physical activity to keep me healthy. December 3, 2013 everything changed. My mom dropped me off at a South Mountain trailhead at 5:30 am. The instant I took my first stride I realized something was off; I had forgotten my earphones. It was the greatest thing that had ever happened to me. The usual brain-jarring beat that kept me motivated to run was absent, and in its place was silence. I began to fill that emptiness with thoughts. I thought about my plans, my goals, everything and anything that popped into my head. When I hit 6-mile mark, my watch beeped and interrupted my pondering of the war in Iraq. In an hour I had discovered more about my dreams and myself than I had in my 14-year existence. All this time I had never given myself time just to think and explore my brain. With our constantly busy lives so many people live theirs without these precious self-discovery moments. One’s self cannot truly be fulfilled unless they have this close relationship with their mind. I dare you introduce yourself to you. Whether it’s in yoga, running or meditating, give yourself time. Time to become friends and learn about the one knows you best.

sav_nah said...
on Jul. 2 2014 at 10:20 am
sav_nah, Tempe, Arizona

"yolo"

I love this! I can totally relate to this article! Very well said.