Freshmen Football Year | Teen Ink

Freshmen Football Year

Freshmen football was a success for me and my team. We went through a lot as a team, due to the amount of players that were on the team. To have a good football team you need at least 20 to 25 players, well that wasn’t the case for my team.

Our freshmen team had 12 people who joined. Due to the amount of players we had, everyone that was on our team had to play the whole game. It really wasn’t that big of a deal to me, because I loved to play; it was still a big load on our teams back. Everyone took responsibility and did what they had to do to help the team win.

It was our first game vs. the tigers, who outnumbered us by at least 30 players, but that wasn’t going to affect us. Our coach before the game told our team “Go out there and give it your all, and make everyone that came to tonight’s game proud.” If it wasn’t for our coach, our team would have vanished but we kept our heads up, and battled every game.

We went on to lose that game by a touchdown, and 1 more player. We were now down to 11, just enough to compete in a game. The next day we had another game at home vs. a team that did not like us. They were a very physical team that liked to get in your face after injuring one of your players. I told everyone that was on the team to meet in the locker room afterschool for a meeting. I stood up in front of the 10 players that were still on the team and told them that this game is going to be a physical one. I also told them that we all need each other. That second I seen all of the players look at each other and say we can do this. That was the moment that turned our season around.

We headed on the field to warm up before the game, before they arrived. We were out for about 20 minutes, and then they arrived. It was game time. We were losing by 2 touchdowns by halftime. We were all bruised up already but that wasn’t going to stop us. We headed back on the field and played ball. By the 4th quarter we were within 1 touchdown. My regular position was linebacker but my coach told me to play offence I didn’t care I did what I had to do to win. There was 1 minute left in the 4th quarter and we had the ball driving down the field. I was playing full back for 2 plays my coach said and I was ready. The play we ran with 1:00 on the clock was run for the running back but there was a fumble. As soon as I seen the ball I picked up and ran for a touchdown I scored with 45 seconds on the clock.

We were now down by 1 and we had to go for it. We hiked the ball and the ball was caught by our wide receiver Cody. We had done it we, won our first game and also made history said coach brown. That year was the best year of football I ever played because we overcame a lot of obstacles and no one thought we would overcome them and win a game. We went on the go 2 and 6 but our team was so proud of ourselves that we didn’t quit and tried our best each game to make our team and people who watched us proud.

The Freshmen football year was a a good year but our team overcame obstilcles