Michael Vick: No Hero This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The Michael Vick saga is the story of a man who had everything and lost it all. And I cannot remember a tale more atrocious than his.

In 2001, the Atlanta Falcons selected Vick to be their franchise quarterback. He was seen as the savior of the team. The Falcons were so sure about Vick, they traded a shot at getting LaDainian Tomlinson, who many ­considered the best running back in the NFL. After the 2002 season, when Vick led the Falcons to the playoffs with a 9-6-1 record and beat Brett Favre in Lambeau Field, he received the biggest contract in NFL history: $130 million for 10 years. The following year, Vick missed most of the season with a broken ankle. In 2004, he led Atlanta to the NFC Championship but fell short.

Last year, Vick’s legal issues began to mount. In January, he was held at an airport on possession of marijuana, but tests revealed no illegal substances and he was never charged. In April, Vick was charged and convicted of dogfighting. His sentencing date – December 10th – was the same day the Falcons would play the Saints on Monday Night Football. He was sentenced to 23 months in prison.

In my opinion, this penalty is not harsh enough. By forcing innocent dogs to fight to the death, Vick has disgraced his family, the Falcons, and the city of Atlanta. Vick had a dogfighting ring on his property and mass graves for the burial of these dogs yet he initially pleaded not guilty. This is a testament to how immature Michael Vick really is.

Vick himself made me mad enough, but then I watched the Monday Night game. “Free Vick” signs were visible around the stadium. When Roddy White scored a touchdown, he displayed a “Free Mike Vick” T-shirt. I could only think, Do they know what this man did? He killed innocent animals for his own amusement. And, to me, the reaction by the Falcon fans was distasteful and atrocious. Vick deserved to be disciplined. Atlanta must realize the severity of his actions.

The Falcons and their fans need to move on. To me, Vick has played his last down in the National Football League. And rightfully so.

Michael Vick is no hero. He was an average quarterback who could run. But it’s time for the Falcons to move on and forget him.

Bob_Marley hahaaha said...
Feb. 1, 2010 at 12:01 pm:
Michael Vick is a sicko! Why would he kill dogs for his own amusement!

FGADGSDGSD replied...
Feb. 4, 2010 at 1:51 pm :
U SNT KNO NUTIN BOUT VICK

JakeDH34 said...
Vick should be thrown out because he is horrible at life, what made this guy so mentally il that he resorts to killing dogs for fun. EdPedrys, why are you protecting this guy. He is horrible for what he did and you are pretty much saying that it is okay to kill dogs. Do you hate dogs??????

lcalks11 said...
i think hes horrible at life.who kills dogs???

JakeDH34 said...
Vick should never go in the NFL ever again. He failed the code of conduct and should be punished harsher than 23 months. I would never trust him again with a dog.

bravesr528hfootball said...
vick should never go in the NFL ever again.

EdPedrys said...
How could you hate the best QB in the NFL!

Beast18 replied...
Jan. 29, 2010 at 12:33 pm :
EdPedrys should stop writing comments for the rest of his life, he did things to dogs that are unspeakable of and Ed must hate dogs himself to say that

la.musica.de.la.noche replied...
May 17, 2010 at 9:03 pm :

Oh, yeah, and since Hitler was a great military leader we should all love him, right?

A person's job and physical ability DO NOT IN ANY WAY determine their character.  And we can pretty much assume that a guy who kills and makes dogs kill for fun is a sicko, and doesn't have that great a character, believe it or not.

EdPedrys said...
Vick should stopped being criticized by people who don't know anything about. Why should Vick be thrown out. Stallworth killed a guy and we welcome him back with open arms. Vick killed some dogs and he should be kept out of the league! Think before you speak! COME ON!

la.musica.de.la.noche replied...
May 17, 2010 at 9:08 pm :
No one ever said Stallworth should be kept out or let back in.  So, total irrevelancy.  I'd be willing to bet most people who want to kick Vick out would have an opinion on Stallworth.  Also, he was DUI, and didn't mean to do anything, though it was incredibly stupid and irrepsonsible and horrible.  IMHO that's a whole other realm from killing in cold blood.

RichardA said...
I agree with Luke S. The man made a "mistake", served some time, and is now back doing what he was born to do; to entertain me on Sunday night. The man's a football player, and by God he will play football.

JKDFA replied...
Feb. 4, 2010 at 1:54 pm :
THANK UUUUUUUU

Luke Schumacher said...
I love Michael Vick. What an inspiration, nay, a hero! A man of pure talent, immense immagination, and a clear conscience!

Tylor M. replied...
Jan. 20, 2010 at 2:20 pm :
he kills dogs!!!!

EdPedrys replied...
Jan. 26, 2010 at 4:53 pm :
Think before you type! Don't hate the best QB in the league

asesa234 replied...
Mar. 24, 2010 at 12:29 pm :
Oh please, you seriously need to sort out your priorities!

goldendove said...
in my opinion, michael vick should be in prison FOREVER.

EdPedrys replied...
Jan. 26, 2010 at 4:54 pm :
He killed a dog, not a guy. Hate on Stallworth.

dragonbiscuits This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 17, 2010 at 10:10 am:
First: I agree with the writer of this article.
Second: Reading all of these comments are making me sick! How can you still like a man who took the lives of so many innocent creatures? Yes, that Dante guy should have gotten more prison time, but so should have Vick. Killing that many people would lead to a lifetime in jail, but only 23 months because they were dogs. Why do people see animals as less than humans? They think, they breathe, they fell, just more differently than us. ... (more »)

32carnage95 said...
I definitely agree!