A Game Becomes a Lifestyle | Teen Ink

A Game Becomes a Lifestyle

By jennyfischer SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
jennyfischer SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin

George Panos, a junior at Hartland, Wisconsin's Arrowhead High School, started playing football when he was in fourth grade. Eighth grade marked the start of football becoming a lifestyle for him, he says.

“It was when I realized I could make a life out of it,” said Panos on the subject.
Making the varsity football team as a freshman, Panos’ potential was recognized by coaches—and not solely Arrowhead coaches.
Coaches from the University of Nebraska and the University of Pittsburg have offered Panos scholarships. The University of Wisconsin has taken the crown for his decision, though.
“I received my scholarship from Wisconsin on April 28th, 2012. I was in a meeting with coach Bielema,” says Panos. “Wisconsin is the school I want to go to because I’ve been of fan of them since I was born, my dad played for them, and I’ve always been around the team.”
Although Panos has his college future figured out, he still has his focus set on Arrowhead football.
“It’s going swimmingly. We’ve done really well- undefeated, and state champions,” says Panos.
Panos believed from the start that the team would obtain its winning season, especially as the state tournament approached. The team always had the talent to win it all, in his eyes.
He says the key players are Jackson Abresch at corner, Kenny Finco as a receiver, Billy Hirschfield on defensive tackle, and Dom Todarello as their “do-it-all” player.
Panos has no doubt football will always be in his life; after all, he says, it has become a lifestyle for him.