Emma Rafferty Takes the Field | Teen Ink

Emma Rafferty Takes the Field

January 21, 2013
By jennawalters GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
jennawalters GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Emma Rafferty, sophomore, helps out three of the four football teams at Arrowhead High school. She says she really enjoys helping out and being part of the AHS team. She is a technician’s manager and is also considered one of the coaches.

Rafferty says that what she specifically helps the football teams out with filming.
“I film certain parts of their practices and games,” she says.
She says after filming, she uploads the footage to the team’s online site, hudl.
She doesn’t work alone, though. Her and best friend, Kara Vana, also a sophomore, hit up the field every day after school.
“It can be difficult at times because we are so close, but overall it’s great, “Rafferty says.
Vana agrees.
“Overall I like working with her. We have our moments where we don’t get along, but we have a lot of fun together,” Vana says.
Rafferty says it is a big time commitment. She says they have to film practice every day for the varsity boys and also have to film every varsity boy’s games. This includes riding the bus with them to away games. Sometimes she even films the freshmen and JV games too.
She says one perk to doing the filming is that she gets payed. Another is that she gets to see the real effort that goes into Arrowhead football.
“I’ve never really seen how much time and effort the coaches and players put into the season. It was a great experience,” Rafferty says.
One of the disadvantages of doing the filming is that she and Vana never get to hang out with their friends at the football games because they are on the field filming the entire time.
“I didn’t spend one game in the student section the entire season,” Rafferty says.
Overall Rafferty says she’s had a really fun time working on the team. She says that it is a great experience.
“I really enjoy being part of the AHS football team. We are all so close and it really does feel like family,” says Rafferty.
There are two more games to determine state. And Rafferty will be on the sidelines filming every game. She wishes all the AHS football boys good luck!