Going to Green Bay | Teen Ink

Going to Green Bay MAG

It'sone of the most famous stadiums in all of sports, and is located in America'sheartland: the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field, home of the best team and fans inthe National Football League. Is there a better place to be than Lambeau Field ona wintry Sunday?

I arrive in Green Bay with my dad at 8 a.m., just afterthe golden sunrise. There are already hundreds of people in the parking lot withtheir grills burning charcoal, the smoke slowly drifting into the sky. As my dadand I walk around waiting for game time, we see and smell all of Wisconsin'sfinest: brats, hot dogs, hamburgers and beer. It's an amazing sight: thousands ofpeople, dressed in their green and gold, talking and laughing together, andeating and drinking. This is what makes going to Lambeau Field so exciting andbreathtaking, but the best is yet to come.

It's 11:30, time to go in andfind our seats. At the end of the tunnel, my view is absolutely awesome. I gazeacross to the other end of the field and am so happy and excited to be here rightnow. All around us, masses of people are waiting for the game to start. I lookaround the stadium and see names: Vince Lombardi, Bart Starr, Forrest Gregg andRay Nitschke. These men were once gods to Packers fans and are immortalized hereat Lambeau Field. This is the greatest tradition in the NFL.

My dad and Istart looking for our bleacher seats. I find the numbers are very close together.When everyone is sitting, we huddle shoulder to shoulder and never get cold. Ican't wait for the game to start.

After the national anthem everyone sits.The game begins and the sea of people cheers in unison: "Go, Pack, Go!"This is the thrill of a lifetime.

The greatest part of the game is whenthe Packers score a touchdown. It doesn't matter who you are sitting next to,everyone cheers and slaps high fives. Then the Packer who scored does theinfamous Lambeau Leap" and jumps into the crowd. This makes the crowd cheereven louder. I feel like my eardrums are going to burst.

It's thefourth quarter with a minute left. The Packers have a comfortable lead and willwin the game. This is a bittersweet moment since soon I will have to leave. Theclock reads 0:00 and the crowd shrinks with every passing minute.

My dadand I talk about the game on our walk back to the car: Who did the best, what ourfavorite play was, which we always talk about, regardless if we were there ornot.

The worst part of going to Lambeau is trying to leave. It takes anhour to get out to the highway.

Green Bay is the place to go on a coolautumn or winter afternoon. Even if you can't get in, watch the game on TV. EveryPackers fan should try to go to Lambeau Field at least once in his or her life.You don't know what you're missing.

PackerFan12 GOLD, Glendale, Wisconsin

"Winning isn't everything. It's the only thing" Vince Lombardi

I have this feeling every time I go to Lambeau. Packer fans are the best fans in the worlf