Cheerleading is a Sport This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The New York Times states that cheerleading is the fastest growing girls’ sport, yet more than half of Americans do not believe it is a sport. In addition, they fail to distinguish between sideline cheerleaders and competitive ones. Sideline cheerleaders’ main goal is to entertain the crowd and lead them with team cheers, which should not be considered a sport. On the other hand, competitive cheerleading is a sport.

A sport, according to the Association of Cheerleading Coaches and Advisors, is a “physical activity [competition] against/with an opponent, governed by rules and conditions under which a winner is declared, and primary purpose of the competition is a comparison of the relative skills of the participants.” Because cheerleading follows these guidelines, it is a sport.

Competitive cheerleading includes lots of physical activity. Like gymnasts, cheerleaders must learn to tumble. They perform standing back flips, round flip flops, and full layout twists. Cheerleaders also perform lifts and tosses. This is where the “fliers” are thrown in the air, held by “bases” in different positions that require strength and cooperation with other teammates.

Just as basketball and football have guidelines for competitive play, so does competitive cheerleading. The whole routine has to be completed in less than three minutes and 15 seconds and the cheerleaders are required to stay within a certain area.

Competitive cheerleaders’ goal is to be the best. Just like gymnasts, they are awarded points for difficulty, technique, creativity and sharpness. The more difficult a mount or a stunt, the sharper and more in-sync the motions, the better the score. Cheerleading is a team sport so without cooperation and synchronization, first place is out of reach.

According to the National Center for Catastrophic Sport Injury Research, cheerleading is the number-one cause of serious sports injuries to women. Emergency room visits for cheerleading are five times the number than for any other sport, partially because they do not wear protective gear. While many athletes are equipped with hip pads, knee pads, shin guards or helmets, smiling cheerleaders are tossed into the air and spiral down into the arms of trusted teammates. The fliers must remain tight at all times so that their bases can catch them safely. Also, because cheerleading is not yet recognized as a sport by many schools, neither proper matting nor high enough ceilings are provided to ensure safety. Instead, the girls use whatever space is available. More recognition of competitive cheerleading as a sport would decrease the number of injuries.

So why do many Americans not think cheerleading is a sport? It cannot be because cheerleaders do not use balls or manipulate objects (if you do not count megaphones, pompoms and signs as objects). Wrestling, swimming, diving, track, cross-country, gymnastics, ice-skating and boxing are recognized sports that do not use balls. Some people argue that cheerleaders are just “flirts in skirts” with their only job to entertain the crowd, but cheerleaders today compete against other squads and work just as hard as other athletes.

Competitive cheerleading is a sport. It is a physical activity that is governed by rules under which a winner can be declared and its primary purpose is to compare the skills of participants. Hopefully, cheerleading will become as well-known a sport as football and basketball, and even appear in the Olympics since cheerleaders are just as athletic and physically fit as those involved in the more accepted sports.

Justin Bieber said...

Cheerleading is no sport

cheer101 replied...
u were born in 98...therefore ur still a baby in school...meaning your opinion means nothing =] Go 2 an actuall college game with real cheerleaders preforming things youve never seen before in your life. Then we'll have a convo.

basketball98 replied...
i have been to a college game... they didn't impress me!!!! so what if i am 13 i am allowed to express my opinion.       what!!!

GO TEAM JACOB !!! replied...
Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:51 am
CHEERLEADING IS TO A SPORT BECAUSE IF IT WASNT FOR CHEERLEADING THERE PROBABLY WOULD BE ABSOLUTELY NO SPIRIT AT ANY KIND OF SPORT THANK YOU VERY MUCH

ashleymarie replied...
basketball98, grow up. 

LittleLover17 said...
wel i think cheerleading is a sport but very dangerous

wcatcher16 said...
I am a former cheerleader. I've cheered since i was 5yrs old. i'm now 21 and stopped cheering when I graduated from high school. Cheerleading IS a sport and i'm glad someone agrees! We work very hard to do what we do. Getting ready for competitions is NOT easy at all. It's very tough especually when someone doesnt show up to practice. If anyone thinks throwing people in the air and having them come back down and land on you and not drop them is easy... They're HIGHLY wrong!! I've been a base, ba... (more »)

basketball98 said...
Oct. 7, 2011 at 9:09 am
it is not a sport get over ur self........ 

Cammyd93 replied...
Oct. 9, 2011 at 12:24 am
if its not a sport why did u read the article and also why would u have argued with it honestly until you actually try it and see what we go through you will never understand it!!!!!!! 

basketball98 replied...
Oct. 13, 2011 at 9:02 am
honestly i didnt read the artical.  and i was a cheerleader, it wasnt at all hard. it was in my option stupid.  so i am not anymore. all our chearleader do is make signs and they're even loud at the games!!

TriibeCheer55 replied...
Oct. 14, 2011 at 9:08 am
Okay, your obviously the stupid one. Im sure you WERENT a cheerleader, & i'm talking about competitive, not stupid sidline cheer, have you ever been to a competitive compettion, or even have performed? I'm sure you havent, it most deffinatley IS a sport, would you like it if we said your sport was no kind of sport? Im sure you wouldnt.

TriibeCheer55 replied...
Oct. 14, 2011 at 9:08 am

CheerLoveR replied...
If she wasn't on a cheer team they probally were not that suggsesful. And not creative either. My team has awesome team bonding activitys (better than posters) go out to eat. Go to the mall. Team Sleepovers are awesome.

basketball98 replied...
TriibeCheer55 i think you need to be nicer and stop calling people STUPID, that can hurt people!!! obivously we all know u think cheerleading is a sport but, some of us dont and that is ok.... just get over ur self and take a chill pill!!!!!!!!!!!!! and are u sure ur sports doctor actually has a medical degree???

mcarnes said...
i think that this is very true and very inspiring

shan222 replied...
Oct. 7, 2011 at 9:33 am
ya i agree it is a very inspring story

morgy123 said...
Very well written! I couldn't agree more!

heather said...
I one hundred percent agree with this article I'm a senior in high school and all my cheerleading career my school gives us nothing but disrespect for our hard work. In theory eyes its nothing but a club. So its nice to read articles supporting cheerleading as a sport

wvu14 said...
I have been a gymnst, and cheerleader all through elementary school to collegite levels. And I can honestly say that Cheerleading in many ways is a sport. So I agree with this article. I know that most people only see the make-up, skirts and all the giddy girls excited to have the title of cheerleader. However, most do not see the bloody noses, busted lips, skin burn and twisted, sprained, or broken body parts. I my self have been injured more in cheeleading than I ever was while practicing on t... (more »)

wcatcher16 replied...
i agree with you very much so! i also have been injured many times. i've seen all the broken body parts and all of that messy stuff.. people need to realize it's not as easy as we make it look. if we get hurt with performing at competition we dont just walk off we stay and finish the peformance with a smile on our face no matter how bad it hurts.

Freedom.ThroughPens This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is interesting because a few weeks ago, I came out with an article that said "cheerleading is not a sport." I may disagree with you on your overall point, but you nicely articulated your thoughts.