Hockey Town | Teen Ink

Hockey Town

June 22, 2009
By redsoxfan745 BRONZE, Londonderry, New Hampshire
redsoxfan745 BRONZE, Londonderry, New Hampshire
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

During the conference championship the University of Vermont was winning four to three over BC with one vital minute left. With ten seconds left,BC was looking to tie the game and send it into overtime. BC just might have gotten their wish,if it weren't for Vermont's phenomenal goalie,Tim Thomalsin, a sophomore. Chuck Randolph,BC's right wing,went to score by making a perfect shot. the puck was zooming towards Thomalsin; he dove acrobatically and his glove fell off,so he grabbed the rocketing puck with his bare hand. The thunderous cheers covered the blaring buzzer that was showing the end of the amazing game.

Unfortunately,during that outstanding save,Thomalsin broke his pinkie and he had to decide to play or not. Right after finishing classes in school,Jonathan Thornton,Vermont's left wing,overheard Tim Thomalsin asking his best friend and Vermont's right wing Phil Johnson if Phil thinks he should play or not.

After Thornton overheard Tim talking to Phil,he decided to go find a sports reporter and tell the reporter that Tim Thomalsin will not be playing in the national tournament. Jonathan decided he would tell his best friend the backup goalie,Jacob Willis,because Jacob would be playing if Tim Thomalsin didn't'.

Jacob Willis wasn't sure what to say when Jonathan Thornton told him that Tim Thomalsin probably wouldn't play. So Jacob just said that Thornton could tell a sports reporter that Tim Thomalsin will not be playing in the national tournament if he wanted to tell on,but Jacob Willis also said that he didn't care if he played,he just wants Jonathan Thornton to do the right thing.

Thomalsin and his team were watching Sportscenter after practice,and they were astonished to see Jonathan Thornton on camera saying that Tim Thomalsin would not be playing in the national tournament for Vermont. Everyone looked at Jonathan Thornton and then everyone looked at Tim Thomalsin. Just than Phil Johnson said,"Listen guys, Tim was just asking me if he should play or not. Jonathan either hear heard us talking or he made it up." All of a sudden Jacob Willis stood up and said,"Well I know how Jonathan knew this. He overheard them talking and told me he would tell a reporter." Then Coach Jim Williams said,"Is this true Jon?" Thornton nodded his head,"Well then I have to suspend you for one to two games." For a moment everyone was silent and Coach Williams said,"Alright everyone get some rest. We have a crucial game tomorrow against Ohio State. The starters will be at left wing Julio Lopez,at right wing Phil Johnson,at defense Jeff Axelson and Jack Huntington,at center Bob Roberts,and at goalie." Everybody on the team paused. Coach Williams looked at the players like they were weird and he said,"It's no surprise Tim Thomalsin is starting at goalie."

Well, game one of the national tournament Vermont V.S. Ohio State. All the Ohio State players were on the ice and Vermont players coming little by little because they were in the TD Banknorth Garden in Boston so the players' names were being announced. Every light in the garden went down and the video screen on the scoreboard started showing all of Thomalsin amazing saves then the faithful moment when Jonathan Thornton went on Sportscenter. The announcer said,"Here's your goalie for the University of Vermont the king of the ice Tim Thomalsin!" Not knowing what he was doing Thomalsin skated around the ice. At the end of the game the score was Vermont five, Ohio State nothing. Coach Williams remarked,"Guys I know we made it to the Frozen Four, but we want to win right?' All the players said,"Yes Sir!" "I can't hear you,"yelled Coach Williams. The team said even louder,"Yes Sir!"

The next day Thomalsin was all over the TV,sports reporters were saying things like: can't get enough of Thomalsin,this guy's amazing,and Thomalsin again. Vermont's next game was quickly approaching and they were determined to get into the championship game. That would be a difficult task because they were playing UMass who were coming into the semi finals on a ten game winning streak.

UMass had their players entering the Verizon Wireless Arena in Manchester,New Hampshire. There was no extravagant entry for Thomalsin,but the crowd gave him a much deserved standing ovation. In the third period with ten seconds left the score was UMass one, Vermont one, Thomalsin showed some late game heroics by making an outstanding save off a shot by UMass's center Jason Woods. It was time for overtime! Then there was an unlikely hero with Phil Johnson getting a lights out sudden death goal to make Vermont win two to one over UMass.

On to the championship game : Vermont V.S. BU. Vermont's hockey team was playing a game of fame with two of their player in the national spotlight. There was a bizarre twist in the TV ratings because everyone watched the hockey tournament instead of the usual basketball tournament. This was because all the buzz about Tim Thomalsin of Vermont.

Overtime in this night of saves championship game the score knotted zero to zero. With one minute strangely enough Superman Tim Thomalsin scored the tournament winning goal and the announcer said,"Tick tock goal unbelievable Vermont's goalie Tim Thomalsin gave his state a hockey town."