Wanting It More | Teen Ink

Wanting It More

By Alex Catron BRONZE, West Chester, Ohio
Alex Catron BRONZE, West Chester, Ohio

Basketball is my beloved sport
Man-eating people run up and down this glossy hard wood court.
The Stimulating thrill of the game
Keeps me pumped and ready for a bang!
Pressing on offense, playing tight defense
Until my arms and legs fall off and burn to death.
Plunging for balls and filling the lanes,
Wishing for that ball that always comes my way.
Dribble, Dribble make a move
Fire the ball in a fancy grove.
Score the basket like Michael Jordan
Win the Game!
Go home now and start all over,
From practice practice until one electrifiying day succeeding the skill

Simcoviakk said...
I enjoyed reading this poem because it gave me a sense of the love you have for the game of basketball. I can also relate to this because I play basketball and feel the same way. For example when you say, "Go home now and start all over, from practice until one electrifying day succeeding the skill." This shows how you have to continue to work hard everyday, not just one day and expect to be the best you can be. I also liked how you use descriptive adjectives such as, "...glossy hard wood court." I also like how you compare how you feel when you score a basketball to how Michael Jordan would feel. "Score the basket like Michael Jordan, win the game." I like how you said, “…until my arms and legs fall off and burn to death.” This tells me that you are playing hard from the time you are on the court until the time you get off. I benefit from reading this because I can relate to your topic, but also the descriptiveness in your word choice helps me to better picture the ideas you are trying to say.

t.ebony said...
On Wanting It More - Alex C.

This poem really works well. I like the descriptions like 'man-eating people'.The competitive nature of sports is a clear part of your game. I understand what you mean in the last line ,but it seems somehow incomplete. You could consider rephrasing it for clarity ,but overall the poem's meaning is clear.