The 7th Floor Tradition | Teen Ink

The 7th Floor Tradition

By sarahtully14 BRONZE, Park Ridge, Illinois
sarahtully14 BRONZE, Park Ridge, Illinois

Christmas is a time of year where we gather together with family and celebrate traditions that have been passed on for generations. When my mom was three years old, her mother’s family took her to The Walnut Room at Marshall Field’s in downtown Chicago, and the rest is history. Each year, our family goes to the 7th floor during the holiday season, and we have to get a table next to the exquisitely decorated tree in the middle of the dining area. When my mom was a little girl, my great grandpa (Little Grandpa) would wait for an hour or more just so their family could get a table next to the magnificent evergreen tree. Once we are seated, I don’t even need to look at the menu to know what I want. I always get the mouth watering Mrs. Herring’s  Original Chicken Pot Pie. Mrs. Herring was a sales associate at Marshall Field’s, and one day, she shared her addicting chicken pot pie with a customer. The customer told her to keep making it, and soon the deliciously irresistible pot pie became a staple on the menu of The Walnut Room. After eating the amazing chicken pot pie, I have to have dessert. Since my first visit, I have always gotten the creamy Frosty the Snowman ice cream dessert. It has so much sugary goodness that I can never get enough of it. Each year becomes more magical and special than the last. Someday, I hope I will be able to go to this wonderful place with my children. The 7th floor tradition will live on!

I wrote this article because this has been a tradition in my family for as long as I can remember. When I was a little girl, I remember those moments from going to the Walnut Room vividly and they were great times. I felt like this was something that needed to be shared with the rest of the world!