Recovery Is Not the Same for Everyone | Teen Ink

Recovery Is Not the Same for Everyone

By Dwight_Eisenflower PLATINUM, Luray, Virginia
Dwight_Eisenflower PLATINUM, Luray, Virginia

Those who move beyond the most blatant aspect of what I do will then understand
What I am trying to say.

-Marilyn Manson

Recovery isn’t easy; no one ever said it was going to be. Heavens knows it’s a lot easier to change your eating habits than it is to change your mindset toward food. It’s one thing to eat, it’s another to have a truly healthy relationship with food. But recovery involves both. Recovery means to heal both body and mind. Now these aspects may or may not be simultaneous; you see, recovery is different for everyone, and there is no right or wrong way. There is no set time; you could be better in two months, you could be better in two years. You could relapse five  times or not relapse at all. Maybe you need the help of a therapist, maybe you simply need the support of your friends and family. Perhaps you need to spend time in a facility, perhaps you’ll be more successful at home. Maybe you need medication, maybe you don’t. It doesn’t matter how you get there, what matters is that you get there. And you will get there. Give it time, be patient; it won’t necessarily be a smooth ride. Be kind to yourself. Remember who you’re doing this for-  you.

I've recently begun the road to recovery for an eating disorder, (Anorexia) and these are things that I'm trying to keep in mind as I begin what is a very scary journey.