A Lovestruck Mirage | Teen Ink

A Lovestruck Mirage

March 30, 2018
By Anonymous

I didn't fall in love with you at first sight. Instead, I fell in love with you at first conversation, though I decided to deny it, telling myself it was just a moment's thought. It was easy to talk to you. I felt like I could go on for forever. I'd never felt that way before.

You seemed to open me up, not to spill out everything or for you to steal pieces of me, but just to show you enough of my history that you'll see I want a better future. Just to show you enough that you'll understand my motives. You taught me what it was like to really fall in love, something quick and unexpected, unlike the person I still told everyone I was in love with.

I was fragile, like a broken glass window, and I was just trying to repair myself after being so close to ruining everything I am. You taught me that I am not just a broken window, that I am more. I was so used to not smiling or laughing at school that it felt weird to start doing it. I can't remember who I was before you, who I hung out with or any of that. I'm not so sure that that's a good sign. I don't want to become so dependent on you. You'd know why.

You're not a rollercoaster and I can't tell you how thankful I am for that because I am so sick and tired of roller coasters that aren't even fun. Like I'm afraid of heights and have a slight case of motion sickness and I'm just an average poet who'll try to make words rhyme out of the sounds of everyone else screaming as we all go down, yet it's still totally okay to compare my mind to a rollercoaster.

I want to tell you I love you but I never will because I'm just a sad poet with a sad story to tell and so instead I'll repeat the fact that you should love yourself and I'll list you a million reasons but I'll only tell you three things. You'd get that reference too; it's our reference. I hope you always remember that we were a chapter in each other's stories, and I don't know about you, but I have multiple.

You were a writer who told me I wasn't alone, a storyteller who had a dream too, a human who longed to understand the world just as much as I did. You were a wakeup call and you had me at hello. You were a mirage, leaving me lovestruck.