The Best Present | Teen Ink

The Best Present

By AbigailGiesige BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
AbigailGiesige BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio

It was Christmas day when I ran downstairs to see all the red and green presents under the tree. I ran into my mom’s room yelling and screaming, “Get up, it’s time for presents!”

“Okay, okay, I’m coming,” my mom exclaimed.

I went back to the living room, waiting for my brother and sister to get down stairs to get started. I looked through all the presents looking at the sizes and shapes wondering if I could tell what I received from the shape of the box. I opened the first present handed to me and was disappointed because it was clothes. Oh great, how exciting, I thought. I watched my sister open an ipod and thought, Spoiled brat, she’s totally the favorite. I felt a little better once my brother also opened some clothes, and I knew right away by his facial expression he was just as disappointed as me.

“Come on, guys. Keep passing out presents,” my mom said.
I don’t know if I want to after the first present, I thought, but I just said, “Okay.”
My mom said, “Hurry, I need pictures!”

My sister then passed me one of my big presents. I was so excited to see what I could have received. I instantly started thinking about what it could be. As my turn came around to open my present, I was straight disappointed, again. A bigger box of clothes. Oh joy, I thought. I could tell my mom knew I was upset after receiving that gift, too. I thought to myself, Um I’m only eight, and all I’m getting are clothes. Did I get anything I actually asked for?

I asked, “Did I get anything besides clothes?”
My mom answered, “Yes, be patient.”

I took her word for it and continued to watch my brother and sister open their gifts. It was my turn again to open a gift. I was handed a small box. I opened the box to see a bracelet that I asked for. It was as sparkly as a clean plate. I was so excited and thought, This is for sure gonna be the best present. I thanked my mom for the gift and moved on. I continued to watch my brother and sister open the cool gifts they asked for. My brother received a gun he had been asking for, and my sister received some makeup she had been wanting. I was then handed a bigger box. I felt the box, and it was kind of squishy. I opened the box to see a what looked like a pillow in a plastic zipped bag. I opened the bag and pulled out a huge blanket. I unfolded it and looked at it, and I was so happy to see a bunch of pictures of me with my animals. Kind of weird considering most of these pets have passed away, and how my face is on a blanket, but it is cute, I thought. The blanket was white and blue like a summer sky. This was for sure the best present.

I said, “Thank you so much!”
My mother replied, “You’re welcome.”

I received many more gifts after, but this was by far was the best.