My First Dog | Teen Ink

My First Dog

March 7, 2018
By SamanthaWhitlock BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
SamanthaWhitlock BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It was almost my birthday, so I told my parents “I want a dog.” My dad had just lost his job, so money was tight. I was begging them, “Please can we get a dog?” 


A few weeks later I was putting my boots on after my cheer game. My mom had called earlier that morning to see if we could go look at dogs. After my game, we went to the van and started driving to Sherwood, Ohio. I asked, “So we are going to look at dogs?” We were driving after what had felt like forever! We had finally arrived at the guy’s house.


We went out of the van, and the cold air hit me. We went up to the door and rang the doorbell. A man came to the door and welcomed us inside. I walked into the kitchen and waited patiently as the man walked back with a cage full of dogs. Finally, he opened the cage door, and puppies came running out. My brother, my sister, and I were on the floor finally able to play with the puppies.


All the puppies but one were a golden color, but one was a pretty brown color. She stood out more than the other puppies. The brown puppy came over to me and rolled over for a belly rub. My mom came over and was petting the pretty brown-colored dog that was in my arms. As I looked at my mom with a big smile on my face, I said, “I want this one.”


She looked back at me and said, “We will have to see.” When those words came out of her mouth, my heart sank My parents knew how much I wanted a dog. My mom walked away and stood with my dad. As they talked with the guy, I fell more in love with the beautiful brown- colored puppy. I slowly looked over and saw my dad writing a check for the puppy. My parents walked back over and told me, “We are getting the puppy.”


I thought that I was the luckiest little girl in the whole wide world. The man went to get  the paperwork and handed it to my parents. We started heading towards the van, and entered. We entered the van in still holding onto my new dog. I looked at my parents and said, “Thank you, Mom and Dad!”


After a few weeks, my parents told us why they gave me a dog. They said, “We gave you  a dog in hopes of the dog chewing your stuff up. So that you would clean your things up.” The funny part was their plan backfired on them, and my puppy never chewed anything up!