Brother's Love | Teen Ink

Brother's Love

By churtleidia SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
churtleidia SILVER, Defiance, Ohio

My older brother’s name is Caleb; he had loved me since I was born. We played video games together and laughed over the slightest of jokes or just life in general. He gave me all this happiness, and I knew I had to let him go even though I did not want to. When I was thirteen, my older brother moved to Germany. While he was here, we spent the time at our mom’s house in Ayersville. He was my rock, all that I thought I had.  Before any of that happened though, he gave me all the love I could ask for. At home, we spent almost every day together, laughing and being happy.

I didn’t want to cry, I knew that if he saw me that he might have given up happiness for me, and I was not worth that. I didn’t know what to do. Then he told me, “Don’t be afraid to cry. We all have sadness that needs released.” After that, I still didn’t cry till the day we all said goodbye. I wanted to be as serious as a businessman doing his work.

The day he left, my sister cried her eyes out. She had told him while sniffling, “I love you so much.”
With such a sad face, he said to her, “I love you more.” While they said their goodbyes, I could not help but to cry. I had never seen my older siblings all in tears before.  They looked as sad as a dog in one of those sad commercials having been left behind from an owner.

When it was my turn to say goodbye, I looked him in his teary eyes. I said, “I miss you already; and you haven’t even left.” He laughed a little at that. I was so happy and so sad at the same time, I didn’t known what the feeling was.

That day he had given me so much love and hugs. We might have been upset, but it showed us how much he loved us and how much we loved him. I might not have liked it, but the situation gave me a good lesson in life. Love isn’t always about being happy with each other, but being able to put that person’s happiness in front of my own.

A couple of days later, I told my mother, “I am happy that he is happy with his wife.” I am happy that he is happy in Germany. I might not be able to see him now, but I know he is happy and doing well. I believe he is as happy as a man with a brand new puppy.