The Hazel Eyes of Karma | Teen Ink

The Hazel Eyes of Karma

March 4, 2018
By Invisiblefangirl2018 SILVER, St. Peters, Missouri
Invisiblefangirl2018 SILVER, St. Peters, Missouri
6 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Be kind. It is more a sign of character than mere niceness. Kindness connects too who you are, while niceness connects to how you want to be seen. "




---David Levithan


Everyone has to learn, one way or another, to grow up and take up responsibilities. Eventually, everyone gets it and hops on the “ Life” train. However, we all have those childish moments that will forever live in our hearts. These are the times that we always remember because they are so beautiful. If only I was that fortunate. My early childhood memories consist of various acts of unintelligence. I was a very silly child growing up, and honestly, I am not ashamed; it made me the person I am today. But I would have to say that my favorite memory started on a brisk autumn evening…


He knew! But how? Honestly, I was pretty sure no one was there.

”Now, Jade, we both know you didn’t pay for those cookies…”

He had to be psychic. My hands were sweating rivers, and my body quaked like an awakening volcano. Fear of the punishments buzzed in my head. What if he told my mother, what would she say? My teacher threw me a mischievous grin.

“Do you have something you want to admit?”

Seven. The year of life where you can get away with most things because you don’t really know better, but then again there are just some things you automatically know better. It’s also the age of extreme imagination. Well, at that age I was the world’s greatest spy. I knew that if i wanted anything in the house, I could just put on my super soft, comfortable, and quiet fur Wonder Pets socks, and my favorite black turtleneck sweater, which I could pull the top up and over my mouth like a ninja, and i was the most stealthy, sly thing the world has ever known. So, one September evening, my Mom, my younger sister, and I went to Walmart. The night was nippy with crisp, cool wind. I was wearing my favorite black turtleneck sweater, skinny jeans, and black steel tipped boots. I also donned my black and purple freckled jacket, at that age I was very fond of the color black. Right before we entered the store, my mother turned to me and stressed:

“Jade, when we get in this store, don’t touch ANYTHING, do you understand?”

“Yes, ma’am,” I giggled. What a silly thing for my mom to say I thought, you go to stores to touch things. My mom frowned, obviously she was confused on what to do at a store. How are you going to get things off the shelf if you don’t touch them? Silly, silly mommy, I thought to myself. My mom shook her head and continued into the store with me trailing after her. We walked through aisle after aisle, gathering item after item. It seemed as if we were stashing up for the season. By the time we walked past the baking needs aisle, I was famished. We’ve been in here for hours, I silently complained. I looked up at my mother. I had followed her orders and not touched ANYTHING in the store, so I believed I deserved a reward, don’t you think? I tugged my mom’s coat. She glared down at me, apparently, I had interrupted her phone call. I didn’t get it though, I mean, I was starving. Could you blame me?

“Mom, can I get some cookies?” I shouted, maybe that’ll help her pay attention to me. My mom glowered at me and roared as if she were a raging bull, “No Jade! Now stop interrupting me, I’m trying to talk!” Concurrently, my sister was whispering behind me,” No Jade. No, no, no and no!” At the moment I despised both of them, so when they continued on, I fell behind. Looks like I’ll have matters into my own hands, I thought. I ambled down the aisle were the small packaged packs of cookies.
I knew what I was doing could get me into trouble, so I did what I did best, I took off my boots and pulled the top of sweater over my mouth and nose. I looked all around me, sweat poured down my face as if I was standing in a shower.

Wait- was that footsteps? Had mom discovered I was missing from the party?

Surely I’m paranoid, I thought. Grandma always said,” When you’re caught doing something you shouldn’t be, put on your big girl britches and get it over with.” So I pulled up my pants and faced the task at hand. I grabbed the package closest to my hands and stuck them in my secret compartment in my coat near the waist. I scrambled for my boots, but before I zipped up my last boot, I spotted a pair of familiar hazel eyes from behind the shelf. Oh my goodness! Someone saw me! I mentally screamed. I wiped my eyes and looked back at the spot, but when I did, the eyes had vanished. Entirely spooked, I bolted down the aisles to my mom at the exit.

“Jade, where were you?”
I said the first thing that came to my mind.
“Bathroom “I murmured laconically.
“Oh okay, Let’s go.” she replied.
“Race you to the car Jade!” my sister shrieked.
And I took off, like a prisoner during a jailbreak.
That night, I didn’t enjoy the cookies. The sweet chocolaty, soothing, and warm taste was tainted by the foul, disgusting, ironic flavor of guilt.

Next day. Monday. Recess for all the second graders. I stood up when the bell rang when I heard the soft voice of my teacher. Mr. Bratcher.
“Jade, could I please have a word with you?”
Gulp.” Of course, Mr. Bratcher.”
I walked up to him and looked him in the eye. I was caught I just knew it. He looked down, into my eyes and suddenly the eyes looked too familiar. It was him! He knew! But how? Honestly, I was pretty sure that no one was there.
“Now, Jade, we both know you didn’t pay for those cookies…” He had to be psychic. My hands were sweating rivers, and my body quaked like an awakening volcano. Fear of the punishments buzzed in my head. What if he told my mother, what would she say? My teacher threw me a mischievous grin. “Do you have something you want to admit?” Then it all clicked together. I knew those hazel eyes seemed familiar. It was him! And I was caught red handed.
Though I was the world’s greatest spy, having all the training a seven year old could have, I messed up. Sure you could say that I was young and that I didn’t truly know what I was doing, but in reality everyone has to learn right from wrong and learn to take responsibility for their actions. I can definitely say that I learned my lesson. And it all was because of an thirty-two lettered, eight word, ten syllabled:

“ Do you have something you want to admit?”

I will forever carry this memory will me; the tale of the hazel eyes of karma.

The author's comments:

This will forever be one of my favorite childhood memories!