Support System | Teen Ink

Support System

I am walking around and am flooded with contentedness. I can feel the breeze coming from the nearby lake, it gives me the chills. I look around and see tree after tree, each having unique details about them. I am looking for the perfect spot to sit and take it all in. I walk for 10 minutes before I see the spot. It is right in the sun surrounded by trees and greenery. I look around for a place to lay my blanket and find a perfect patch of grass. I lay down my blanket and take out my notebook to start writing.

The leaves are starting to change into many shades of browns, greens, oranges, and yellows. The rain from the day before has given everything a sparkle. The wet ground gives the dirt a dark brown color.  The smell of the air is fresh, and clean. As I sit here drops of rain dance around me, some hitting my notebook getting my paper wet.
I am sitting on a hill, as I look down I see a swamp. The mucky swamp has sticks and logs all in it. Green plants going out to about the middle of it on one side. It isn't a very big swamp, about the size of a baseball field. It is in the shape of a spoon, with one side being a circle and the other being a straight line. To my left, I see many different plants, and trees. The thick trees make it hard to see  the sun shining through.

To my right, one tree really sticks out to me. It is a falling tree, but it is held up by two trees around it. The two skinny trees fall a little to the right. The one that is being help up is very skinny, tall, and a light brown color. It looks like it may have broken in half given the rough edges at the top. The broken top is the shape of a bird looking out. It has a small branch about one foot long coming out towards the top. The two trees are holding this small tree up.

When I was a fourteen I got a severe second degree burn. My mom took me to doctors visit after doctor's visit, she woke up in the middle of the night when I would be crying in pain, she made sure I was as comfortable as could be and never complained once. I got the burn the day before my fifteenth birthday, although I wasn't in the mood to celebrate my entire family came over and celebrated for me. I felt so loved and supported during that time.

My mom has always been my biggest fan, best friend, and support system. she keeps me in line, and  helped me get to where I am now. My dad is the other tree, even though he’s not here physically I know he is always there. He makes me want to be a better person everyday, and pushes me to be kind to everyone. He shaped my life so much when he was here, and still continues to shape my life from heaven. The four trees surrounding the fallen remind me of the people in my life who have always stuck around.

My brother  is one of my best friends and I am so thankful to have a brother like him. Ever since my dad passed away, he has stepped in and been the man of the family; he is always there whenever I need him. He bosses me around, tells me when I'm doing the wrong thing, and makes sure I know that he will always be there for me. Another person who has been there is my older sister. She pushes me to do better in school, not judge anyone, and always say thanks for what I have. She is the most caring person, and she shows love to everyone. She has always been there for me and knows exactly when to tell me I'm being ridiculous.

There are many other people who have helped support me in  my life.  In life, the most important thing is having a support system. You need people in your life who are going to tell you everything is going to be okay, to make you feel at home. As I look into the woods, I feel content and comfortable. I am able to sit and think about everyone that loves me, and supports me. I look and see tree after tree, each having different details making them unique. I see greenery and the changing leaves falling in the sky. The two falling trees sit out in front of me, I thank them for reminding me of the people in my life who support me.