Traveling Holiday | Teen Ink

Traveling Holiday

By tfyoya GOLD, Acworth, Georgia
tfyoya GOLD, Acworth, Georgia

Never be someone that you not. You'll waste your time and everyone else's because they don't know the real you. ~me

This holiday I realized a lot of things that made me feel somewhat intrigued. What I mean is that my holiday is most likely not even close to yours. It actually didn’t feel like Christmas, it definitely didn’t snow, and I didn’t stay in one place. I was miles away from my home, to visit another that is technically mine too. It was something that I’ve been waiting for years to see and it was much more than I expected. You see, I went to Kenya, where I am originally from and I got to see different sides to a country I grow to love. As I was there I didn’t only spend time with family but saw and connected to sights that drew me back to my roots. I learnt about how people live in Nairobi, the Rift Valley, Mombasa, and near Lake Victoria. It was something that needed to be done I felt like. Like I needed to see what my life could have been and talked to my family that I don’t usually see years at a time. Telling them about my life and them telling me theirs was the best them, because ultimately they didn’t know me and I didn’t know them. Two and a half weeks seemed like a month but like the best month. I totally forgot that I was on vacation and I don’t know if that’s a good thing, all I know is that when I came back I kept on thinking about what it was like. Piecing it back together from first to last and just understanding and consuming what is going to be in my memory for the rest of my life. It’s just not going to be pictures that I’m going to let my kids see, I’m going to tell them where I come from, where they come from, and take them. I want them to experience what I experienced because everyone will ask me how it was like and I will explain. I probably won’t explain it well but I’ll try. I think if I hadn’t gone I’d be a different person than the person I am right now. I understand and I’m more grateful than I’ve ever been. You can never just know a country by watching a documentary or reading what’s in the news, it’s better to trust your judgement when you go and see for yourself. I saw beauty, and people living in the now, there was just a feeling of relaxation that I haven’t experienced or seen the U.S. I could honestly see myself living there on and off to get used the place. It was much more than I expected and I can’t wait to visit again.