The Palomino | Teen Ink

The Palomino

By ivan.of.malakoff BRONZE, Mabank Tx, Texas
ivan.of.malakoff BRONZE, Mabank Tx, Texas

life is tough but its tougher when your stupid

Since I was a little boy, I have always been amazed by horses,but I’ve never had the courage or opportunity to ride them. Growing up,my dad and I always watched old movies and show such as True Grit ,and in this movie were many fine horses. Recently,I figured out that my mom and grandad had horses when she was a teen,but when she was fifteen,  she was already an orphan and never rode a horse again

While my dad was at work, his friend, Miguel, told him that he had a big ranch with cows and horses.A week passed by and we went to his ranch to go help him build a corral.He gave us a tour of his ranch. I saw many beautiful horses ,but the one that got my attention was the palomino.It was the most kindest,smartest,beautiful horse i’ve ever seen in my life.

When I got home, I told my mom about all the horses.I told her about the palomino and all of sudden she got emotional. I was really confused, I went go ask my dad and he told me the sad story of my mom’s childhood. I totally understood why she got emotional I would be too if I was in her situation. Maybe she was remembering the sweet moments with her father.

I felt that I was responsible for making her sad, so I called miguel and asked if I could ride the palomino. He said yes but asked why ,i told him the whole story and he agreed to my plan. My plan was to ride the palomino was my mom with her and bring back precious moments and make happy. I was excited but yet nervous.

A few days past and i was gonna re-learn how to ride, the last time I rode  was like 7 years ago, so i was a little rusty. My dad and I went to the ranch and then to the barn. Miguel saddled the palomino and taught me the basics. While I was on the horse I felt the presence of my grandfather. I felt that he was telling me to do it for my mom.

The day finally came we saddled the horse and put it in the trailer. We pulled up on our driveway and I got on the horse and rode. I rode with pride to show my mom that even though her father was gone she could remember and honor him by doing what he loved to do.