Michigan | Teen Ink

Michigan

December 12, 2017

Many people believe the state of Michigan to be a sad, cold, summerless, foggy place. If I hadn’t spent my childhood there I probably would have thought the same. Instead, the Michigan that I grew up with was full of snow ball fights at school, bike rides to nearby lakes, and numerous visits to the cider mills. This is the version of the “Great Lake State” that I grew up with.

In the year 2011 I decided that September was my favorite month. Not only because the cider mills opened, but because it officially meant the start of an endless about of sledding, and snowball fights that would continue all the way into March. At this point every year, all of the neighborhood kids were sick of the long summer break, which turned boring four weeks in, and we were all ready to begin our annual snowman building contests. As usual, the neighborhood squad of eight gathered in front of the large skyscraper of a tree nicknamed “Climby” , ready to begin strategizing and forming plans for the upcoming winter. I shivered, a gust of angry winds knocking into us, sending goosebumps all over my body.

“If we are lucky, it might even start snowing sooner than we thought!” Announced one of the kids, Avery, who had her eyes focused up at the dark grey clouds which wrapped around the sky like a large blanket. “Fingers crossed!! If we are lucky we might even get school cancelled.” Replied Hayden, Avery’s older brother. Although everyone wished for it, we were all aware that the possibility of it was highly unlikely considering the fact that it had to be -7 degrees for the school board to even think about it.

The first snowfall didn’t come until October. Even though everyone was annoyed and highly disappointed that it took so long to arrive, the day that we first saw a light thin coat covering our backyards all of that annoyance disappeared. My siblings and I suited up quickly and hit the road without more than a quick “BYE MOMMM!!!” A large smile spread across my face the moment that my face felt the cold air. I took a deep breath, taking in all the refreshing sights and smells of the welcoming season of winter.

Within minutes all of the neighborhood kids had gathered at the path that ran directly through the center of the subdivision. I immediately threw myself to the ground, my hand being suffocated by the coldness of the snow. The race to form snowballs had officially begun! Once each hand held a well packed perfectly circular ball of ice, I spirited as fast as I could to the nearest tree with the weight of heavy snow boots slowing me down only slightly.

School days, and long afternoons like this followed me throughout the year. It became a familiar routine, and one everyone was very happy with. After the long, draining days of sledding trips, and igloo building, a cup of steaming hot chocolate also became a mandatory accet. Sadly, the snow would dry up, the cider mills would close, and the igloo’s would melt into puddles. These bittersweet days, turned more into excitement as that meant summer was just around the corner!

The last two Septembers and Octobers that I spent in Michigan were just like that exact one in 2011. All kids filled with anticipation, and longing for the soon-to-be snow falls, some coming earlier than others. The bonds and memories made through our elementary years were like none other, and I knew these people would be my life long friends. The state of Michigan will always be special to me, and will forever be the first place I think of when I hear the word “Home.“