Last Moments | Teen Ink

Last Moments

By kallibay BRONZE, Marrero, Louisiana
kallibay BRONZE, Marrero, Louisiana

Glowing eyes and big smiles of illuminated the room, confirming that the other girls are as excited as I am. About 500 other footsteps click clack trying to stagger in line as I am trying to contain my excitement. The voices of everyone talking over everyone else fills the room as I can barely hear myself think. For the past four years, I have been looking forward to this very moment. My hands run over my rough skirt as I try to wipe them from being nervous. As we line up in front the Assembly Center, I realize that I am about an hour away from receiving my senior ring. My whole body is shivering I take steps into the freezing Assembly Center and look around to find my parents. I see phones in their hands with the camera pointing at me, trying to get a picture of me walking down the aisle. My face is turning red from embarrassment; my cheeks are getting hot. Then I direct my attention over to see grown adults hunching over other grown adults trying to take a picture of their kids. This is when the thought hits me: the thought that in a year they will no longer be here taking pictures every step of the way. I will be away at college. No one will be so in love with me that they take a picture of every slightly exciting moment I have. Not only will they no longer be there to take pictures, but no longer here to experience moments with me. I will not have them to pick me up when I fall or to wash clothes for me when I am too busy studying or at work. Flashbacks of my first school moments pour into my head as my legs touch the ice cold chair. I remember being embarrassed about them taking pictures of my friends and me at our first high school dance: Frosh. I would get aggravated with my dad for taking a picture of my face when I enter the living room on Christmas Day. I think back my my first time driving, my dad and I laughing because I ask which pedal was the brake. Realizing I take these moments for granted makes me regret ever getting irritated at them for trying to take my picture. My parents were really with me for the last seventeen years of my life, making sure every important moment I have had was the best yet. I am going to be at college making my own memories by myself and learning how to wash clothes. This is the moment that I realized I am becoming an adult, branching away from my parents. The smell of smoke is emanating from the candle lit for school masses. My vision starts to get blurry and I can feel water in my eyes. My throat starts to feel a little raspy. I have one more year of these familiar events with my parents by my side until I am off in college.

I was inspired by receving my Senior Ring. I hope this pushes hugh school students to keep striving, all the work is worht it. I also hope this reminds them to spend time wih their families.