The Girl in the Corner | Teen Ink

The Girl in the Corner

The girl in the corner sits alone, hiding from her torturers. She tries her best to get through the day without seeing these people that put her down each day. ¨Just one more hour,¨ she says to herself. ¨Just one more hour¨.

Bullying is a big problem in our society, and I fear that it will forever be a big problem. Of course there are going to be kids that pick on others, but it shouldn’t be this bad. Kids shouldn’t be making other kids hate themselves every day. Kids shouldn’t want to die every day.

The girl in the corner sits alone at lunch and talks to no one throughout the day. Nobody wants to talk to her. She feels like nobody sees or cares about how much she’s hurting. She feels so alone.

She walks in the shadows of the halls, class to class. Most of the time she’s so drowned in her dark thoughts that she doesn’t even know what’s going on around her. That’s until she sees them. Then it’s all over.

As they beat her with their hurtful words, the girl breaks down. She takes a deep breath and continues to try to hide her pain. But inside she’s mentally drained, falling apart. When will it stop?

Hitting, name calling, sending mean texts. These are all forms of bullying. It doesn’t matter if you are joking or actually doing it to be mean. You are a bully.

Hurting someone, physically, mentally or emotionally will tear them apart. You may think you really aren’t doing anything wrong, but these things can really destroy someone. One thing you say or do can affect them longer than you intended.

Defeated. This is how she feels the rest of the day. They’ve broken her. Deep down she knew she couldn’t hide from them forever, but she still held onto that small sliver of hope.

The school day ends, the girl walks home and goes straight to her bedroom. The pain is too much. The tears instantly fall down her cheeks. She takes out the silver blade.

Hurting someone so bad to the point that they are always hurting is not okay. You do not know what someone is really going through. Saying one wrong thing could push them over the edge and they could be gone forever.

Too many suicides happen each year due to bullying. To know that people are hurting so bad inside that they no longer want to exist breaks my heart. Nobody should have to feel like this. You are here for a reason.

As she slices open her skin, she adds more scars to go along with the previous ones. Her body is suddenly numb. For a moment, the pain is gone and she feels nothing.

Suicide is a big problem, but so is self-harm. I know too many people that have self-harmed or tried to commit suicide. I do not know what I would do without these people in my life, and I don’t know how much longer they will be in my life. I can only hope that they’re still here tomorrow. In fact, I know someone that has committed suicide. My cousin.

Very few people know that the girl in the corner slits her wrists, but the people who do know have left her. This includes her friends. She doesn’t know if it’s because they don’t know how to help or if it’s because they’re disgusted by her. Either way, it makes her feel worse.

She hurts, all the time. The pain never goes away except when the blade is pressed against her skin. She feels like it’s never ending. She just wants it to be gone, she wants to be gone.

If you know someone that self-harms or mentions putting their life in danger, please contact someone. Anyone. Just try to get that person help because most of the time, these people that are hurting inside don’t know how to ask for help.

Some people will feel like the only way the pain will go away is if they go away. They might want to end their life. Or maybe they don’t, but maybe that next cut just goes a little too deep. You never know when it will be too late.

Even if the person you know that is hurting tells you not to tell anyone, please tell someone. They might be mad or upset with you at first, but they will thank you in the long run. I always tell my loved ones, ¨I’d rather have a mad friend than a dead friend¨.

Finally years later, as her self-harm continued, a good friend notified the girl’s parents. Of course they were heartbroken and they didn’t know what to do at first, but they cared. The girl fell into her mother’s arms, tears streaming down her cheeks with relief. The war is finally over.

The girl’s pain slowly went away as she got help and time went by. All along she just wanted someone to care, to be by her side. She just wanted the pain to go away. That girl was me.