Taken for Granted | Teen Ink

Taken for Granted

November 12, 2017
By EditheRose BRONZE, Stone Mountain, Georgia
EditheRose BRONZE, Stone Mountain, Georgia
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I grew up in a home where checking up on people is always prioritized. I would see both of my parents always calling people to see how they were doing, even when they were completely exhausted. I picked up that trait from them, and I will be forever grateful. I enjoy helping people by checking up on them, supporting them in whatever way possible, and/or being a shoulder to cry on. There is no other feeling better than the feeling you get when you help someone with a genuine heart. It hurts me when I see people helping others just to be seen. That isn't genuine, and if you’re helping others just to be seen then you're doing it for all the wrong reasons. I genuinely enjoy helping others, even if it means putting everything on hold on my end. I’ve gotten to the point where, when I’m asked for my support, I can’t say no. And in the long run this hurts me, because I have to suffer the consequences of seeming like a strong person.That's something that both my parents and I suffer from. What really bothers me is when I’m asked to do something for someone, and they’ve never called me to see how I’m doing. It's always a phone call of tasks that need to be done. I call that taking people for granted. But my problem is that even when I’m hurt about the lack of support, I will still come running to you if you ever need me. As I became older and continued being taken for granted, I saw myself shutting people out in hopes of them noticing the lack of communication on my end.

And by support I mean checking up on me, helping uplift me, and motivating me during my low times. Anyone who really knows me knows that I would choose support over money, clothes,etc. I just want support, that's all. When I get to a certain point where I find myself being physically drained, I run through the list of everyone I’ve helped and cry. I cry due to the fact that I can't get myself to truly speak up on this subject. I feel like everyone should always check up on their “strong friend.” I can't get myself to truly tell these people how I feel, because some of these people are a huge part of my life. Well at least in my life. I find myself asking for very little, but I just don't understand why I can't get it. This makes me feel unappreciated. I wrote this to hopefully inspire those who also, like me, lack support from anyone whom they are close to. I want you all to know that it's hard sometimes, but in these times you have to turn to those that want to be a support system for you. Allow others to lend you a shoulder to cry on. Sometimes they are trying to be genuine. Stop worrying about those who aren't worrying about you, and instead, worry about those who are worrying about you.  


The author's comments:

My name is Edithe and I am passionate about helping people in any way I can. Even if that means putting things aside on my end. I enjoy blogging and motivating others. I own a blog called Empower Me and its mission is to help imbue self confidence, pride, and empowerment into young african american woman.