The Words of Al Stillman

“Oh, there’s no place like home for the holidays,” chants every kid around Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanza, and New Year’s. To me, home is where your family is. In my house, the whole family only gathers twice a year; Thanksgiving and Christmas, so seeing my uncles, aunts, cousins, and grandparents is quite a feat. I see one of my aunts four times a year at most. Unfortunately, she lives about four hours away. We go Black Friday shopping every year. My other aunts and uncles all live about an hour away-I also rarely see them. I see my two grandmothers quite often. I play cards with one and sew with the other. We always have a blast. I see my cousins roughly once a year. We always have a coloring contest when they visit. Finally, when the whole family has arrived, we embark on a large feast after my uncle says Grace. Preparation for the meal takes three whole days; cooking, cleaning, and more cooking, and more cleaning. All of the hard work, however, leads to a reward beyond compare-Family. I love them all so much. Although most people enjoy vacationing over Fall and Winter Break, I want nothing more than to spend time with my family. There truly is nothing like spending time with family around the holidays.