Travel | Teen Ink

Travel

November 2, 2017
By Anonymous

Travel. It’s something that I haven’t got to do very much at all, but is a big passion of mine. I’ve only ever been outside of the country once, and even inside the US I have been to two out of the fifty states. When I think of the future, I used to want to be a successful lawyer who makes lots of money, but not until later did I realize the reason I wanted money so bad was so I could travel the world. I can’t think of anything I want more than to travel. I think one of the biggest contributors to that burning passion is the fact that I was raised in Hemet. I see the monotone faces of the adults heading to work everyday and you can almost feel their sense of regret for staying in this small, uninteresting town, even my dad feels that way. It seems to be a common agreement among the youth in Hemet that nobody sees themselves staying in Hemet for the rest of their life, they all want to move near a beach or to a lush countryside. Hemet just isn’t a place for someone who has huge ambitions and a true desire for new experiences. You feel trapped, like you’re wasting your precious youth eating the new fast food restaurant or going to the movies for the third time that month. For most people though, the cost and change of completely uprooting yourself and your daily routine is just not a realistic feat. Ever since I was little I would be the one seeing off my family traveling to their home countries, and all the same I got to hear the exciting stories of their adventure. The joy of reconnecting with loved ones, the mouth watering food they finally got to eat again, and the things that have changed since the last time they were there. Sure, i’ve been to a few places but being a child doesn’t really grant you the ability to do what you actually want to, it's mostly just whatever the family agrees on. I often watch videos of other people’s travel because it’s the closest I can get at the moment. Little things like one of my favorite youtubers going to Vietnam with her best friend. They were eating pho at a small shack on the side of the road when out of nowhere rain begins to pour down. Everyone stops eating to scream and laugh together as the rain tickles their back. Experiences like that make me long to get out of here and see the world. Even just stopping for a minute and observing a city that's completely new to you is an experience I think everyone should have. Seeing the different people, clothes, and they way things happen that’s different from what you know. However, I do know a few people who don’t take an interest in traveling, and it blows my mind. There is so much out there, humans just like you yet completely different because of the surroundings they were raised in. I think it’s almost close minded to not have a single spark of interest for the huge world around you and the people in it. Travel, currently, is my only goal in life. I haven’t got to travel a lot yet, but I seriously look forward to exploring the new cultures and sights around me.