Change | Teen Ink

Change

By karamcwhinnie BRONZE, Norfolk, Massachusetts
karamcwhinnie BRONZE, Norfolk, Massachusetts

Things change all the time; and often people fear them. Some believe change is the worst thing that could happen, but that is not always the case. In order to move on with life, things must change. I believe that change is good, and if nothing changed, then life would not exist for most people. I also believe that people should purposely make changes in their life, in order to experience new things, and see how one can benefit from doing things differently. Most of the time, people will find that changes help them understand things better, and enjoy life more. Change allows people to grow, not only mentally, but also physically and emotionally.

When I was six, my family decided to make the decision to move to a different home in a new town. I was comfortable where I was because I already made close friends and the house I lived in then was all I knew. Until I moved. We moved as a family about forty five minutes away and I was scared not knowing what it was going to be like or if I would love my new home. The thing that I was most nervous about was going to school. I knew that making new friends is tough but since I was at a such young age it would make it a little easier for me. Now that I have grown up after the years I couldn’t imagine what life would be like without the house I live in and without the amazing friends I have made that I know I will remember for life. This change made me who I am today.

In the eighth grade, I made the choice to attend my current school. I had already attended elementary and middle school so I was very comfortable with the friends I had and I never expected that I was going to go into a new school. As soon as I found out my parents wanted me to go, I had no idea what to expect. I was nervous, scared, upset, excited, and confused all at the same time. I remember how afraid I was to start all over but I knew that this was the right decision because I would get a better education. Now that I have made the change I can already see the positives coming into it like how good my grades are getting and the new friends I am making.  I believe that everyone should try to mix up their lives at some point, as an experiment to see what works for you. Whether or not someone likes what these changes have brought into their lives, it is still a great opportunity to learn about oneself and others. Change is a very powerful thing, and that is not realized by many. Some changes are out of your control, and others can be made entirely by yourself. Regardless, it allows you to experience life, enjoy life, and learn a lot along the way.

By making changes in my life, I have became a better person. Changes give me more experiences to learn from my mistakes and how to overcome the challenges life gives you. All around, I believe that creating change in my life made me a more open, social, and outgoing person. Some of the change I made was rough, but the best way to learn in life is to experience new things to learn who you are as a person and who you want to be influenced by and also what kind of people you want to surround yourself by. I believe that change is a good thing and is made me who I am today.