My Science Camp Adventure | Teen Ink

My Science Camp Adventure

Have you ever been in a situation where you worried about something for no reason, and when you look back you wonder why you were so worried? Well that’s what happened to me when I went to Science Camp in fifth grade.

We had just finished breakfast and went back to our cabins. The air was crisp and the clouds covered the sky like a blanket. Today was our day to go on the nature hike so all of my cabin mates were scrambling to go on time. The sky was gray but that was not going to stop us. Our cabin leader told us it was time to go so we gathered our things and went to our meeting spot. When we got there, I saw my teacher approaching me. He gave me one of our class iPods, so I could take pictures. That act would sure make my science camp a memorable one.

We started on the hike and our naturalist Ensatina, which wasn’t her real name by the way, it was just her nature name, started showing us different plants. We arrived at an ash tree and my friends and I started drawing on our faces with the ash. Now, I was a pretty trustworthy person so I had no problem keeping the iPod safe but that all changed on this part of the hike. Ensatina said that this was the hardest hike on the grounds, and she was not wrong. The hike had a big slope to it, and the rocks were very slippery so, you needed to watch where you stepped.

Every few minutes I stopped to take pictures, but I had to put the iPod in my pocket because I did not want to drop it. I was wearing a sweatshirt at the time, so I put it in the pocket. As we were nearing the end of the hike I reached in my pocket to take one last picture and the iPod was not there.

I started freaking out.

“Anna, Karly, did you guys take the iPod to take pictures?” I asked, almost about to cry.

“I don’t have it but I could check my backpack if you want.” Ananya said.
“Please be in there, please be in there” I was thinking in my head. But deep down I knew it was not there.

“Sorry, I don’t see it, but I could help you look when we finish.”
   “Ok” I said holding back the tears.
   When we finished we stopped at a place with some benches for a quick snack.

I did not tell my Naturalist that I had lost the IPod because I was embarrassed, but my friends encouraged me to.
As she came around to me with asking me for a snack she noticed I looked sad.

“Snowflake what’s wrong?” She asked.
Snowflake was my camp name,  we all had to make one.
  “ I-I lost t-the iPod.” I said, trying not to cry, but I couldn’t hold it back any longer.

I started crying in my sweatshirt, Ensatina tried to help me but nothing could really help except that iPod.
   One of the cabin leaders from our group volunteered to go down the hike to look for it.
    “Don’t go down too far, it is a lot harder to go down. I don’t want you to get hurt.” EnSatina said to him.
  When he came up, the iPod was not in his hand.
  It’s gone, I thought in my head.
  At this moment I was preparing myself mentally to tell my teacher. I was so scared. My palms were sweaty, I was breathing heavy, and I was looking through my backpack inside and out. Nothing was found.
   When we got to the main area my teacher was not there because he was somewhere else with another group.
    “After you guys go to your cabins, I will go on the trail again and I will look for the iPod. If I don’t find it I will go with you to talk to your teacher.” EnSatina told me.
   I nodded my head. I was so thankful for her, because she did not have to help me.

We got back to the cabin and my friends and I were playing a card game, just to get my mind off of you know what. Every once in awhile I would start crying because I knew it was all my fault. I was also a little afraid of what my teacher would do because, you don’t want to get on his bad side. It was only about 45 minutes that had passed but to me it felt like an eternity. I could not stand the anticipation. EnSatina would either walk through that door with the iPod or, my science camp will be ruined.  After waiting and waiting, we heard a knock at the door and I knew it was EnSatina. I walked to the door, my friends followed, hoping that she had the iPod. As I opened the door I saw her smiling, she had the  iPod in her hand. In that moment in had never felt such relief in my life, I felt like running out the door and jump up and down ,with happiness. It felt like a 200-pound weight had just been lifted off my shoulders.

Later that evening we finished another hike, don’t worry the iPod was safe, but I ran into my teacher.  I did not tell him anything because there was no need but somehow he found out.

“So I heard that we had a little incident with the iPod this morning.” He said.
I was so surprised to hear him say this. Did someone tell him? Did Ensatina tell him? I thought to myself.
    I did not reply but then he said.
“Even if you had lost the iPod in would not be mad at you. We would have just had a little talk.”
   I took a sigh of relief as I walked away. I knew everything would be all right.