Las Vegas | Teen Ink

Las Vegas

By Clara8 BRONZE, Cupertino, California
Clara8 BRONZE, Cupertino, California

My heart fluttered and I felt like I was going to burst. This trip was going to be great, nothing could mess this up.

The sun was shining on a nice seventy degree day. Some strong wind caused me to shiver, but I didn’t mind. My roller backpack wheeled down the ramp while I was briskly walking out of a portable classroom in Kennedy Middle School. Distant yelling and basketball thuds filled my ears. Backpacks were scattered around the ground and there were girls playing volleyball in courts. Just a normal day.

Moments after second period, I ran to the meeting spot where my group of friends always met. Finally a break. Yess. All of a sudden, a rock the size of my palm rolled onto blacktop, right where I was going to step. I had no idea. My shoe landed square on the top, and I stumbled. My roller backpack scraped and skidded to a halt. Agony shot up and ran across the side of my foot.

“Ow, shoot.” I exhaled “Stupid rock.”

I slowly rotated my foot around in circles, but the pain lingered. While I was doing this, I glanced over at a boy. He was tall with black well kept hair, that was swished to the side. His face was pulled into a smirk, who glanced over, but quickly looked away. He might not have done it on purpose. My thoughts changed afterwards. As he slowly walked away, he began to kick another rock.

I quickly changed into P.E clothes and right after, I pushed the doors of the locker room open, as the sunlight flashed into the room. I squinted my eyes to prevent myself from going blind. The small rocks crunched underneath my shoes while I walked onto the blacktop to get to the roll numbers. Small aching whined from my foot. I guess it wasn't perfect after all.

The clouds started to bunch together, and make a gray sky over the school. Small streams of light burst through the clouds, and left patches of light and dark around the ground. The lower field was being set up for a game of Capture the Flag. Our class was spreading out ready for the whistle to blow. I eyed the other team, scanning where the first people were going to run.  My eyes flickered from one side to the other. I heard the whistle blow loud and clear and my heart raced, my feet already in action, reaching out to tag someone.

Sprinting across our territory, I could feel tingles from before come back. A small burn made me slow my pace to a halt. Applying some pressure, the pain faded and disappeared. I rolled my eyes and groaned. Can my foot just decide if it’s going to be twisted or not?  Suddenly a person started to run down the field, slowly at first. His dodges were sharp and caused you to jump from one foot to the other, keeping you on your toes. He looked back at me. Dark hair that was combed to one side. Tall and skinny. I immediately remembered this morning. He made me fall… I wanted to get him, and tag him out. A burn inside me caused me to try even harder. Stretching out, I quickly dodged to the side.

Pain flashed through my foot, running up, down and my ankle. All the images of what my weekend would be like now flooded in like a strong ocean wave running up to shore. No one knew what had happened, but I did.

“Ohhh, no.” I breathed out. My heart dropped a million stories, and that hollow feeling you get carved out my stomach. Three words came to my mind, and two sentences echoed it. “Is it…?”

That skinny boy asked if I was okay. My face looked down, my eyes wide. I guess he could tell something was wrong.

“I’m fine.” I said clearing my throat. I don’t know why I said I was fine. I wasn’t. But I didn’t want this person try to help me. After all, he was the one who started it.

“You should probably sit down” he mumbled looking down. “Just stretch it and put ice on it.” and then he walked away.

I hopped away and sat down, following his advice. I was thinking deeply about what just happened. From the morning to this moment. He was being a jerk in the first part. Kicking rocks around, making me trip, and then not even seeing if I was okay. Just a wide smirk. And now, he gave me advice and helped. Mixed feelings were going around in my brain. Maybe I shouldn’t have judged him from the outside, even though it was hard to see through him. Later, I got ice and went on the Las Vegas trip after school.

Mr.Gr said...
on Oct. 31 2017 at 1:32 pm
Mr.Gr, Cupertino, California
I noticed that your setting changes with what's happening in the story. Great job!