Global Warming and Its Impacts | Teen Ink

Global Warming and Its Impacts

By st2003 BRONZE, Coconut Creek , Florida
st2003 BRONZE, Coconut Creek , Florida

The Earth is a beautiful place, isn’t it? 7 vast continents, 7 broad oceans, each of which boasting their own incredible forms of life. Well, these places may not be as amazing as this in the years to come. Global warming is real, and it is happening every second. Our future as humanity will be compromised if we do not take this seriously. If we don’t take care of our planet now, who will?

Climate change is one of the subtopics of global warming. It is discussed frequently in the U.S, and there is an ongoing debate about if it is real or not. However, we can see it’s devastating effects on our planet in everyday life. For example, in China, Beijing is one of the major cities in the world with a massive pollution problem. People who live there are required to wear masks in some parts of the city due to a huge amount of air pollution. When smog and other pollutants enter the air, it compromises the safety of animals and people (Smog can travel for miles into the ocean, and farther into the air). Smog is dangerous, as it can settle into the ocean and harm the life living there. Smog and other air pollutants actually make the air warmer, and can destroy the ozone layering. On the topic of warmth and change in our climate, Antarctica and the life living there has suffered massively due to ice melting. Polar bears, penguins, and more native antarctic mammals have suffered because the once expansive and dense ice sheets are now flimsy pieces of ice that could not hold a man. Therefore, if a polar bear tried to walk on it to hunt for food, the animal would die from exhaustion from having to swim back to a denser chunk of land that could be miles away. Should these innocent creatures really have to suffer from our doing?

When we think about the future, we think about the surviving of humanity. I don’t think that we care so much about the other species that inhabit this planet. We think more about ourselves and how we should be able to thrive and live, and not any other species. Unfortunately, if we keep wrecking Mother Nature like we are doing now, there won’t be any living area left for anyone, human or animal. No one can  predict the future, obviously, but scientists have come pretty close to telling what could happen. They think our oceans will get warmer, our ozone layer will rapidly start fading away, and the temperature will just increase. Over time, both poles will melt away, therefore increasing the sea levels. 

All in all, climate change and global warming are very serious and real, and the only real solution to these problems could be for everyone to do their part to try to decrease global warming and climate change. Factories could find a better and more efficient way to use fuel that does not require releasing  it into the atmosphere. People could do their part to pick up any kind of trash, in the ocean and on land to just reduce the amount of pollution we have in our beautiful Earth. If we all stand together to fix Mother Nature, we would benefit and live on a much cleaner world.