Behind the Screen | Teen Ink

Behind the Screen

By mialoosmann BRONZE, Newfields, New Hampshire
mialoosmann BRONZE, Newfields, New Hampshire

The curtains flap as the city air rushes into your apartment inviting you to come out on to those never ending sidewalks. In the city you take advantage of every nice day you can get. As I walk down those sidewalks my eyes ponder people I’ve never seen before, and some who live just nearby. It’s crazy how all of us are packed into one city, yet all of us have different desires on our minds. I let my feet carry me to wherever I feel that day, almost bumping into some lost tourists looking at their google maps. I end up at a small, yet popular coffee shop, where I order and sit. As I wait for my steaming hot chocolate I look around yet again and try to decipher the lives of these strangers around me. The lighting is dim and the rooms smells like coffee beans but still I try to place myself in these stranger’s shoes.

One girl is sitting in her black slip on shoes, with a jean skirt and a blouse as she ferociously pounds the keys of her laptop with papers scattered all around her premises. Probably writing an essay for some college level class at the local university. The man across from her at the table seems engaged in his smartphone as he sips his hot coffee. His face is serious and his blue jeans and loose polo shirt give off a relaxed kind of vibe. I let my eyes peer again around the room to see two young kids, staring blankly into the screen of a tablet, brainwashed by whatever the new Netflix episode is for 5 and 6 year olds.

I think about my analysis’ of the people I saw all the way home and a thought comes to my mind. This is that all of these people, no matter how different their lives were, were all looking at a