My Major | Teen Ink

My Major

By lucystrother BRONZE, South Riding, Virginia
lucystrother BRONZE, South Riding, Virginia

Words have always interested me. Their purpose, their effect, their meaning. As an elementary schooler, books and dictionaries collected in my room because I loved the way words sounded, how they made me feel. It was not until high school that I became entrenched in the idea that words are not only used to tell a story, but to persuade and cause a reaction. This sparked my interest in Communications.

I took Journalism class freshman year. Through this class, I experienced the true power of words. I targeted audiences, addressed issues, created possible solutions to conflicts, and ultimately persuaded people that my argument or solutions were valid. I fell in love with the fact that I had the power to churn other people's way of thinking and eventually, their actions, and that I had the power to resolve even the littlest of conflicts through the use of my words. I knew then that I wanted to use that power for something bigger, and better.

Communications allows me to use that power; the power of intriguing people with my words, and persuading them to react and think in the way that I had advertised to them. It allows me to use my compromising skills in a way that not only helps myself, but helps both the little and the big things as well. Little did I know then, but that seemingly large collection of books and dictionaries, would eventually pave the path to my passion, and hopefully my future.