I Faced My Demons, Found Myself, and Survived. | Teen Ink

I Faced My Demons, Found Myself, and Survived.

By TheVoiceoftheSilent SILVER, Westlake, Ohio
TheVoiceoftheSilent SILVER, Westlake, Ohio

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?" - Albus Dumbledore

I told myself for many years that I had faced my demons. There were insecurities that I told myself didn't rule my life. I told myself I was okay with how I looked, my past, and the outlook of my future. It wasn't until recently that I faced my demons in a way I never have before, I really found myself.

I struggled with what I wanted to be for a long time. I really thought I wanted to be a chef, then an Olympic swimmer, a swim coach, a journalist, then an author, and now just a general writer. The main reason I struggled so much was because I felt like I didn't have any talent. Demon #1.

Another thing I struggled with was my weight. I am the youngest of six kids, all skinny except me. I was never bullied per se, but I was teased. Even though my siblings didn't mean any harm, I still felt like an outsider. Demon #2.

When I was growing up, and even now, other people's opinion of me was always a big thing. When I was little, living in the ghetto because the tuition for private school cost a lot, this wasn't a problem. It did become a problem when I moved to a rich part of Ohio and went to public school. How I looked and how I presented everything. I was a fat girl from a poor family dropped into a suburb famous for everyone looking pretty and pushing all their problems under the rug. This was not who I was. It was sink or swim. Demon #3.

My life has been very difficult, largely due to how I was raised. When I say that I don't just mean how my parents raised me, but also how I was raised and shaped by society. All the pressure to be perfect and to not let anyone see your problems all became too much for me. I began to cut. Demon #4.

Fast forward about three years to the present day. Even after not having cut for about a year and a half, I got professional help. I thought it was ridiculous and unnecessary, but I still went. She really opened my eyes. After all the awkward conversations that only had to do with her getting to know me, she told me I had anxiety. I thought she was being overdramatic and brushed it off. Later, I recognized that I did. While I'm lucky enough to realize that my anxiety isn't as severe as some others I still had it. Demon #5.

Realizing that I had anxiety really opened my eyes. It made me aware of how I treat other people, why I do the things I do, and even renewed my sense of purpose. That was when I faced my demons.

I acknowledged that I was poor. I acknowledged that I won't get to have the things I wanted or what everyone else had. I acknowledged that there might be a time when I will have to give my paycheck to my family. I acknowledged that going to college would be a financial struggle. Then I faced my past.

I faced the feelings and experiences of past me. I had tried to push my past away and ignore it. Even though I thought it was gone, it ruled my life. This time I acknowledged that, too. I took everything that has happened to me and what I had been through and greeted it like an old friend. Then I put it in my back pocket.

I keep my past with me wherever I go. I acknowledge that it made me who I am. However, I don't let it rule my life. I am beginning my life as a new person. Hopefully she will be ready by the time I go to college next year.

I'm still finding myself. I will always, for as long as I live, be finding myself. I will meet more demons along the way and I bet they will be much harder to face than those five I listed for you. But I look forward overcoming that and coming out a new, person on the other side. I look forward to seeing you all there.