Divorce | Teen Ink

Divorce

June 1, 2017
By ioliviam1016 BRONZE, Pepper Pike, Ohio
ioliviam1016 BRONZE, Pepper Pike, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

There are many obstacles that you are required to overcome. Big ones, small ones, scary ones, sad ones, and awkward ones. The most tragic are the ones that touch you and shape you into an even better version of yourself. That’s where my story comes in.


I’ve always grown up in a household full of arguing. Everyone was always fighting over money, work, and parenting. I had a really hard time figuring out how to cope with these severe issues, but eventually, I started to figure it out. I would lock myself in my room, go to a friend’s house, or talk out my problems with a friend or family member.


I will never forget the day my parents revealed the biggest news of my life. I had just gotten home from a weekend long trip to King’s Island. I had noticed that my dad took my sister and I, but my mom stayed home. My family wasn’t usually this isolated.


When we all got through the door, my parents sat us down around the coffee table in the living room. “Iris and Nadia, I know things have been hard for you lately,” they said. I already knew what was coming. I started bawling my eyes out, mascara running down my face. “We want to continue to make sure that you both have a good life. In order to do that, Dad and I need to separate. We’re getting a divorce.” I was devastated. Never in my life had I ever felt that kind of sorrow and sadness. That was only the beginning.


The next few months of my life were a lot different than usual. I felt like there was a hole in my heart that couldn’t be filled. I wouldn’t have been able to get through it without my family and friends. They were constantly guiding me and giving me advice on my situation. I felt comforted and loved, although I was still torn apart inside.


I thought about it constantly, drowning in all the paperwork, court cases, and counseling sessions. On top of that, everyone at home was on edge. There was constant tension, and I didn’t want to be involved with that. I started having negative thoughts about everything, and I couldn’t see things becoming more peaceful. It started taking a big toll on my life. I took less interest in my activities, things that I had always loved participating in. I didn’t want to do anything other than sit in bed all day and watch my favorite shows. It was kind of like a bad head cold that wouldn’t go away.


That’s when I turned to my dance family for help. I had always loved dance. I was involved in that type of competitive and free-spirited performance style since I was 2 years old. Every single person at my studio was like a sister to me. My teachers acted as mother figures, and my friends’ parents were like my own. I knew they would be able to help me in my time of struggle.


When I stand in front of the big mirror, I watch my body sway. The beat drops and I throw my leg, lengthening all the way to the moon. I hear the voice of an angel within the music. Her voice rises and I execute a perfect triple pirouette. My energy increases as I leap across the floor. I feel as though I’m walking on water. One could never find a better feeling than dancing


I used dance as a way to escape. I got out of my skin and got to have fun with the people I care about. My problems were their problems, and they aided me on my journey. Dance was and always will be the solution to life’s lemons.