Stop Global Warming and Stop Fracking | Teen Ink

Stop Global Warming and Stop Fracking

June 1, 2017
By AlexTheMemeGod BRONZE, Marlborough, Massachusetts
AlexTheMemeGod BRONZE, Marlborough, Massachusetts
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Fracking:  noun :the process of injecting liquid at high pressure into subterranean rocks, boreholes, etc., so as to force open existing fissures and extract oil or gas.


Do you know about fracking?  Do you know the what it does to the environment?  Well did you know that fracking contributes to global warming.  In the following paragraphs I will explain why fracking is bad for the environmental, consequences, and how to prevent it.


Fracking is bad for the environment.  When fracking sometimes there is a leak and it releases methane into the air.  It creates a greenhouse effect by trapping it 86 times as much heat as carbon dioxide.  This will increase global temperature creating a greenhouse effect.  We have done this so many times in approximately 50 years we will experience the consequences even if we stopped right now.


There are many consequences in fracking.  When there is a leak the following can happen:  Contamination of groundwater, methane pollution and its impact on climate change, air pollution, and exposure to toxic chemicals.  This is not only bad for the environment but bad for people as well.  It affects the skin, eyes, sensory organs, and gastrointestinal system.  Also methane is a main component of natural gas and is 25 times more potent in trapping heat.  Do I really need to explain why trapping in heat contributes to  global warming, I think we all know that.


There are a couple of ways to prevent or hinder fracking.  One way is adoption of a legitimate national energy policy.  This will have country's to not to frack.  Another way to prevent fracking is use new chemicals for a new source of energy.  Finally we could use solar energy.  So far scientist have been researching how to use biofuels with aligue.  They could grow aligue instead of digging oil and fossil fuels and hurting the environment. 


Although fracking could be good for people.  When we frack and dig for oil it gives us fuel and energy for us to live our lives.  Also it makes gas prices lower and has allowed us to create new inventions over the last 40 years.  Well actually it causes harm in the environment by harming the air, pollution the water, and creates a greenhouse effect.  Even if we go forward in technology we would have to go back and fix our environment.


If we stop fracking we could make the environment better and start trying to prevent global warming.  If we are all aware of this we could stop this and make Earth great again.


Work Cited
"Potential Health and Environmental Effects of Hydrofracking in the Williston Basin, Montana." Case Studies. N.p., 21 Dec. 2016. Web. 26 May 2017.
Reynard Loki / AlterNet. "8 Dangerous Side Effects of Fracking That the Industry Doesn't Want You to Hear About." Alternet. N.p., 28 Apr. 2015. Web. 26 May 2017.
"Fracking Impacts: Climate Change." Ohio Environmental Council. N.p., 28 Oct. 2015. Web. 26 May 2017.
"10 Reasons Fracking Improves American Lives." Drillinginfo. N.p., 05 Sept. 2014. Web. 26 May 2017.
"Fracking Contributes to Global Warming." N.p., n.d. Web. .